Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th May 2011, 15:31   #181
BHPian

Default Re: An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S

Fank. I am on the same line though i dont have equipments like you have but still i am sure that my 2 GZ compos and GZ sub would do wonders if properly powered with Proper Tuning. Create the thread bro ! !
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 18:19   #182
BHPian

Looks good.

FWIW a hard disk works fine inside a car. I have a 320GB disk in my glove box as a music storage device for my ICE and it goes through quite a beating. It's not even properly secured to the floor of the glovebox. Once when I hit an unseen bump the music stopped for a few seconds but started right up afterwards. Disk checks out fine subsequently. Mobile drives can usually stand a fall of 6 inches to a concrete floor, which is much stronger than any shock you can administer inside a car.

To be really safe I would suggest looking at a good mounting system, using rubber shock absorbers. These can be easy to make on your own.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 21:12   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@frank its better to create a separate thread for the same it would create in easy access and referring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
Fank. I am on the same line though i dont have equipments like you have but still i am sure that my 2 GZ compos and GZ sub would do wonders if properly powered with Proper Tuning. Create the thread bro ! !
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...er-car-pc.html

Here you go guys. AS comprehensive and exhaustive as it can get!!! Go get it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Looks good.

FWIW a hard disk works fine inside a car. I have a 320GB disk in my glove box as a music storage device for my ICE and it goes through quite a beating. It's not even properly secured to the floor of the glovebox. Once when I hit an unseen bump the music stopped for a few seconds but started right up afterwards. Disk checks out fine subsequently. Mobile drives can usually stand a fall of 6 inches to a concrete floor, which is much stronger than any shock you can administer inside a car.

To be really safe I would suggest looking at a good mounting system, using rubber shock absorbers. These can be easy to make on your own.
A better idea than to fabricate a shock absorber mechanism would be to just plough in an SSD. A 32 gigger can do windows 7 very well and all the music etc can be loaded onto an external hard drive. Easy as that!!
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 23:05   #184
BHPian

You could run Windows off a flash drive, too. I was pointing out that such measures may not be necessary at all.
cranky is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 09:36   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
5. System is very stable, but sometimes, when I start my car the power supply just reboots the computer within one minute of switching on.
6.Some cracks and pops present in the audio,
8. Sound quality is already better than the Eclipse. Will keep a write up ready on that.
A system that is not really stable..cracks and pops...and better SQ that a CD player...sounds like you are putting a record player in the car! LOL Just kidding.

Frank, although I dont understand one word of your carputer thing I am impressed by the fact that you even tried. Getting this far is fantastic.

Quote:
Like a ready reckoner. Let me know, guys. I will post it then.
Make it a seperate thread and we'll make it a sticky. I'd like to see many more young guns do stuff to cars that we oldies would never dare to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Disk checks out fine subsequently. Mobile drives can usually stand a fall of 6 inches to a concrete floor, which is much stronger than any shock you can administer inside a car.
In the by gone days I used to work for a company called Sperry (much later it was merged into Unisys). We used to make ship-board computer systems. So one day (I was still a new engineer then) after testing out a new prototype my boss asks me if I would like to see what physical tests they put the system through.

I said "cool". My boss took me to a room with a thick glass window. In the center of the room was a table (more like a platform). THey put my prototype on the platform and there was this huge mechanical hammer that swung and hit the platform from below. My prototype flew about 2 feet in the air and landed back on this platform. Then they took the prototype and checked to see if it still worked.

Quote:
A better idea than to fabricate a shock absorber mechanism would be to just plough in an SSD. A 32 gigger can do windows 7 very well and all the music etc can be loaded onto an external hard drive. Easy as that!!
Get the SSD. I was playing with a laptop that has a 256GB SSD and it boots really fast. Faster than any hard drive laptop that I have seen.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 13:13   #186
BHPian

Default Re: frank'S'mehta ICES his Fiesta: A Carputer in Progress

Frank, how are you planning to do the TA and the EQ'ing on the carputer??
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 17:22   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys. I am going to publish a FULL ON tutorial for you people, to have an audiophile computer in your car. The software part, and a little about the hardware part. Do you want me to publish it here, or do you want me to open a new thread for it in the Ask the Gurus section??
It will be a one-stop shop for audio tuning via a computer and will have a lot of technical jargon. Like a ready reckoner. Let me know, guys. I will post it then.
Wow, that'd be awesome. I want to do a cheap-cheap DIY install in dad's Spark, and a guide like that would be really helpful.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2011, 18:36   #188
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...er-car-pc.html
It's already up!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 12:36   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The same amount of time as a fullly loaded head unit like the Alpine and Kenwood double dins.
10-15 seconds.
10-15 seconds is a really good time. Lets see if this time does not decay as the PC gets older like my laptop did.

WHy do Alpine/Kenwood HUs take 10-15 seconds? My Alpines (9887, 9835) and my wife's 650 processor are on as soon as they are turned on.
Old 17th May 2011, 13:37   #190
Senior - BHPian

Even the purpose-built 2DIN HUs (not the WinCE based CarPCs like Caska) are functional within 3sec of power on. 10-15sec is an eternity.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 16:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

@DerAlte: The IWA-505 etc from Alpine take a good 15-20 seconds at startup for the first note of music to come from it.
Powering on. Loading USB files. THEN music.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:18   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@DerAlte: The IWA-505 etc from Alpine take a good 15-20 seconds ...
One step forward, two steps back!
Old 18th May 2011, 23:34   #193
Senior - BHPian

A few pictures, and a short video. Remember to switch to HD on youtube for good quality.
My camera battery went dead while shooting the video. So only 1/4th of it was saved. In the next part I will show you guys how seamless the operation is, and how fast the computer operates.

Attached Thumbnails
An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0127-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0128-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0129-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0131-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0132-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0133-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0134-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0135-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0137-copy.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-dsc_0138-copy.jpg  

Old 19th May 2011, 11:28   #194
Senior - BHPian

Hi Frank, I'm SPEECHLESS but all ears.
If I ever get to step into your car, I may end up spending hell of my time fiddling different options on that sweet touchscreen & you may break few of my teeth in frsutration.
It must be amusing to see faces of novices seeing your CARPUTER booting up to WIN-7.

Would highly appreciate WIP photos. It'll give us idea about proper installations of CPU & other equipments.
I have a FUJITSU laptop whose screen is damaged but rest is working just fine. I have now connected it externally to a monitior & use it as PC.
Do you think I can do something with that?

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 12:05   #195
Team-BHP Support

Frank, very neat job! I was expecting to see a crow's nest of wires and a screen hanging on for dear life but this is superb. Any buzzes and rattles?