Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 06:32   #76
BHPian
 
goingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 217
Thanked: 188 Times
Default

Hey this looks really exciting! Will surely follow your project.

As a side note, did you go through the reviews about the Sound Card here: Newegg.com - Suggested Products

Also, I read somewhere here that you are planning to use some recording thing for the reverse camera?
May I suggest you this: vitamin d : home
Not sure if this is completely relevant. But it is a cool app anyway, for home use too!

Cheers
goingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:57   #77
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Frank,

Im unsure, if Im already too late; but did you consider buying an Intel atom processor with an NVDIA ION Gfx card. The total power output of both clubbed together is still less than 35W, whereas the intel core-i3 alone takes between 35W to 70W of power, depending on the model you choose; plus the atom processor and the ion card are very tiny compared to the mainstrem processors and would save you a lot of space.

Atom processor: Intel Atom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NVIDIA graphics card: NVIDIA ION Graphic Processors - Small Form Factor

Motherboard: Zotac NVIDIA Ion Motherboard: SFF Goodness - HotHardware

Courtsey- Wikipedia, Nvidia and Hothardware

--Hawk
lethalhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 21:29   #78
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhawk View Post
Hi Frank,

Im unsure, if Im already too late; but did you consider buying an Intel atom processor with an NVDIA ION Gfx card. The total power output of both clubbed together is still less than 35W, whereas the intel core-i3 alone takes between 35W to 70W of power, depending on the model you choose; plus the atom processor and the ion card are very tiny compared to the mainstrem processors and would save you a lot of space.
Trust me, this guy doesn't need to know this.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 23:15   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Can you post the list about the places you got your hardware from as of now?
I will do that soon. Not got the time. Busy with a conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Hey this looks really exciting! Will surely follow your project.

As a side note, did you go through the reviews about the Sound Card here: Newegg.com - Suggested Products

Also, I read somewhere here that you are planning to use some recording thing for the reverse camera?
May I suggest you this: vitamin d : home
Not sure if this is completely relevant. But it is a cool app anyway, for home use too!

Cheers
Gee, those reviews are PATHETIC! All point to a fantastic product and poor software. Luckily the BETA drivers are the saving grace.
About Vitamin D, this is FABULOUS ya! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhawk View Post
Hi Frank,

Im unsure, if Im already too late; but did you consider buying an Intel atom processor with an NVDIA ION Gfx card. The total power output of both clubbed together is still less than 35W, whereas the intel core-i3 alone takes between 35W to 70W of power, depending on the model you choose; plus the atom processor and the ion card are very tiny compared to the mainstrem processors and would save you a lot of space.

Atom processor: Intel Atom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NVIDIA graphics card: NVIDIA ION Graphic Processors - Small Form Factor

Motherboard: Zotac NVIDIA Ion Motherboard: SFF Goodness - HotHardware

Courtsey- Wikipedia, Nvidia and Hothardware

--Hawk
Thanks bro. Done all the research about that already. An audiophile computer CANNOT use on board audio mate. No way I can add a PCI EXPRESS riser to accommodate the Xonar on the Zotac board even.
Besides, my audio processing itself will eat a lot of resources. So I am better off with more of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Trust me, this guy doesn't need to know this.
All you people's advice is well taken here bro



Anyways, more STUFF arrived in the mail today.
The GPS receiver and the M4 ATX power supply got here today guys.
Here are some photos!
Attached Thumbnails
An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060076-desktop-resolution.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060077-desktop-resolution.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060078-desktop-resolution.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060079-desktop-resolution.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060080-desktop-resolution.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060081-desktop-resolution.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060082-desktop-resolution.jpg  

An Audiophile Computer in the making: frankmehta's Fiesta S-p1060083-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 10:05   #80
BHPian
 
shreyasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bang!
Posts: 652
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Aha! Frank, tell the truth. I see 2 GPS receivers

If you are okay to share, what is the landing cost of M4-ATX?
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 13:06   #81
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,503
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Aha! Frank, tell the truth. I see 2 GPS receivers
yes one for earthlings and the other for martians.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 13:35   #82
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Frank, are these Items from USA ?
Did you paid Express shipping, please share the source and cost + shipping.

I curse my postal service as my ordered items don't reach me even in months, Have stopped ordering from ebay.com now as things never land here.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 14:03   #83
BHPian
 
vkarulkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neral, Hosur
Posts: 36
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Franky, it seems at end of project, its gonna cost you half of the fiesta itself.
vkarulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:16   #84
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,503
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
Franky, it seems at end of project, its gonna cost you half of the fiesta itself.
bah that is nothing.

Many moons ago I met someone who had a 118NE. Lets just say he'd make Frank and LBM look perfectly sane.

The total cost of his car stereo system exceeded the value of a new 118NE (this was 1989 or 90)! The speaker wire I remember was from Tara Labs and cost Rs. 50K (in 1989-90) and the subwoofer wire was from Kimber (8TC).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:41   #85
BHPian
 
shreyasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bang!
Posts: 652
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
bah that is nothing.

Many moons ago I met someone who had a 118NE. Lets just say he'd make Frank and LBM look perfectly sane.

The total cost of his car stereo system exceeded the value of a new 118NE (this was 1989 or 90)! The speaker wire I remember was from Tara Labs and cost Rs. 50K (in 1989-90) and the subwoofer wire was from Kimber (8TC).
Was the car sold with those wires or without? If its with wires, please PM me the guys details if he is selling it at market price.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 17:32   #86
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
yes one for earthlings and the other for martians.
no..no..
one for left & one for right
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 18:17   #87
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

@ Frank:
have you checked out Panache

Panache

They have some mini ATX boards
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 21:48   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
Aha! Frank, tell the truth. I see 2 GPS receivers

If you are okay to share, what is the landing cost of M4-ATX?
I shall be tabulating the stuff soon. Just hang on. Will put up the landed cost soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
yes one for earthlings and the other for martians.
You were correct earlier. One for me, and the other for Kamles bhai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Frank, are these Items from USA ?
Did you paid Express shipping, please share the source and cost + shipping.

I curse my postal service as my ordered items don't reach me even in months, Have stopped ordering from ebay.com now as things never land here.
These items are from USA indeed. Paid for shipping via FedEx and UPS. Paid duty for them too !

Hongkong post is decently reliable for me. The GPS is from there. Waiting for the keyboard and OBD soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
Franky, it seems at end of project, its gonna cost you half of the fiesta itself.
I hope it doesn't!!

UPDATE: Looks like it will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
bah that is nothing.

Many moons ago I met someone who had a 118NE. Lets just say he'd make Frank and LBM look perfectly sane.

The total cost of his car stereo system exceeded the value of a new 118NE (this was 1989 or 90)! The speaker wire I remember was from Tara Labs and cost Rs. 50K (in 1989-90) and the subwoofer wire was from Kimber (8TC).
Baaah, with all that equipment, the rust box would be resonating to glory!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
no..no..
one for left & one for right
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
@ Frank:
have you checked out Panache

Panache

They have some mini ATX boards
I am mostly going in for something from MSI or Gigabyte. But Zotac, if they come up with a solution for the Core i3 processors, then I shall look into that too.


A report of the stuff that has arrived:
1. GPS receiver
2. Soundcard
3. Power Supply

Stuff still to be delivered:
1. OBD II Scanner
2. Keyboard trackball

Stuff to be ordered:
1. LCD screen
2. Reversing camera
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 22:04   #89
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I am mostly going in for something from MSI or Gigabyte. But Zotac, if they come up with a solution for the Core i3 processors, then I shall look into that too.
They do, but it's like 8K
Their C2D one is 3.2K
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 22:31   #90
BHPian
 
sabret00the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 686
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Congos Frankie boy. Your install threads are highly enjoyable as ever. But this ones not only outrageous but at the same time very different from what we know as ICE on cars. Very nice choice of equipment. But just wanted to point out something. Why did you choose such an old card as 7900 instead of entry level GT2xx cards for HD purpose? Nevertheless subscribing to this thread..all the best.
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"...and the winner is Fiesta 1.6 S" - The Journey of a budget Audiophile Mi10 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 48 12th May 2012 20:26
Tips for BS Speakers /Amp/Audiophile CD player sk456 Gadgets, Computers & Software 17 22nd April 2007 03:32
Audiophile here audiophile Introduce yourself 3 15th August 2006 15:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks