Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th July 2010, 14:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit_chd View Post
See sealed boxes will be more precise with its kick . It may not go that loud when compared to ported but then ported aint that precise with the kick .
I do not want to start a debate here but I do not agree with the above statement. It depends a lot on the subwoofer + the enclosure for the final result.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 15:55   #47
BHPian

I agree with LBMji. But, the problem is that not many installers are aware of the calculations etc. that go into making a ported enclosure. Sometimes the installer might not be that competent and the customer is persuaded to think that ''ported boofer play louder saar''. Otherwise, I have always heard that ported enclosures have higher probability of erroneous results rather than sealed subs which are known to subdue such anomalies to a larger extent. It is hard but not impossible for a ported sub to sound as tight and precise as a sealed sub if a lot of homework is done beforehand. This is what my limited knowledge and research tells me. But, for starters like me a sealed sub would be the easiest and the best bet unless I get a ported enclosure as part of my subwoofer like the JBL CS1204BR which comes with it's own Bass Reflex enclosure. What do you say LBMji?
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 17:13   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I do not want to start a debate here but I do not agree with the above statement. It depends a lot on the subwoofer + the enclosure for the final result.

Its on open forum and i said what I have seen through my experience.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th July 2010 at 13:08. Reason: Removing off topic content.
ankit_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 19:34   #49
BHPian

What kind of bass do Bass-Reflex enclosures produce?
I am talking about the JBL CS1204BR-India JBL

My installer was recommending this one for me- India JBL

What do you think?
Old 11th July 2010, 23:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Can be anything from controlled bass (good sub, well matched cabinet and port) to boomy bass of the bad ones. Tubes are just cylindrical BR enclosures. As LBM said, it is all in the sub and enclosure design.

The Infinity is definitely better than the JBL box, and definitely costlier.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 23:45   #51
BHPian

Do you have any idea about the grey market prices of the following-

CS 1204BR (Bass Reflex)
JBL GT5 S12
Infinity Ref1240SE
Infinity Ref1260W
Ground Zero GZ 30T
Ground Zero GZTW 12MK2
JBL GTO1214
Polk DB 1240

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 11th July 2010 at 23:47.
Old 12th July 2010, 00:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Just for refernce Gz is not available in grey.
Old 12th July 2010, 00:08   #53
BHPian

Any idea about the prices, grey or otherwise?
Plus, can I have an audition in your car sometime playing my kind of songs? Only if your are free and don't mind.

Do you know of anybody else in Faridabad with a nice sounding budget system?
Old 12th July 2010, 13:20   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I'm sorry sir, but the whole point of an open forum is to have an open debate where evryone can participate be it a newbie of an expert. Why not share your views with us regarding the performance of sealed boxes?
bharti22shresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 13:58   #55
Team-BHP Support

With regards to a sealed vs ported subwoofer - A subwoofer does not exist alone. Bass has very long wave lengths and hence is very cabin dependant.

A subwoofer system is the subwoofer driver, box and box tuning, as well as the cabin and placement of the subwooofer in the cabin. Even the degree to which the amplifier and exert control over the sub changes the way a subwoofer will perfrom in a given enviroment. Hence making a generic statement is really not correct.

That said for DIYers who do not have the nesscary tools, infrastrcuture and/or experience it is often easier to build a subwoofe rusing a sleaed box provided the driver used is suitable for a sealed box install (moderatly high Qts, adequately low Fs, etc...). Taking a woofer that for example has a Qts of 0.2 and putting it in a sealed box might not give best results. This woofer will perfrom better in a correctly tuned ported box.

The trouble DIYers have is that a driver's T/S specs are not nesscarily the same as the published specs and hence DIYers need measuring tools to obtain the T/S specs of the driver they have. In such an application using a subwoofer with a Qts in the range 0.35-0.5 and putting it in a sealed box will give a result more in line with those shown by simple box volume calculators like Box Plot, etc.. Sealed boxes are more tolerate in difference in T/S specs.

It is also true that in most applications the shallow roll off of a sealed box is better compensated by the cabin gain.

However these are guidelines not absolutes.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2010 at 22:01. Reason: Above post removed
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 18:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Can be anything from controlled bass (good sub, well matched cabinet and port) to boomy bass of the bad ones. Tubes are just cylindrical BR enclosures. As LBM said, it is all in the sub and enclosure design.
Totally true, Thanks Deralte Ji !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
With regards to a sealed vs ported subwoofer - A subwoofer does not exist alone. Bass has very long wave lengths and hence is very cabin dependant.

A subwoofer system is the subwoofer driver, box and box tuning, as well as the cabin and placement of the subwooofer in the cabin. Even the degree to which the amplifier and exert control over the sub changes the way a subwoofer will perfrom in a given enviroment. Hence making a generic statement is really not correct.
That`s what I meant. I know on this forum ported enclosure are not liked here much. But it all depends on the listener. bharti22shresth try searching on high end home audio enclosure you will not find any single sealed enclosures. Majority will be ported ones. I am not saying sealed are bad but they are not according to my tastes.

I design my ported enclosure to go very low, I use approx 2.5cuft+ for a 12 inch driver and nearly 4cuft+ for a 15 inch one which also increases the efficiency also. I know these are very big sizes but they play very beautifully. Just for reference I have tried nearly 30+ enclosures in my car with different sub-woofer and different alignments and size. So I know how different each of them sound.

Also like Navin Ji mentioned sealed ones are the easiest to make and can tolerate a good range of error. But in a ported it takes a lots of parameters so it is not a easy task. There is some challenge in make it right.

Here is a thread on the same. You will find lots of sealed lovers there !!!!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...d-one-you.html
Old 12th July 2010, 19:49   #57
Senior - BHPian

I got a ported enclosure designed for my W12GTi and I LOOOOOVE the way it sings! I don't know if I will enjoy the same sub in a sealed enclosure anymore. No boom, no overpowering bass, just pure notes of smooth unfettered bass.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 00:39   #58
BHPian

Hi frankji!
I saw your new ported enclosure and liked it a lot. I read you got it made by some professionals. Do they ship these enclosures as well if I tell them the specs and the model of my sub?
Old 13th July 2010, 00:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

I got it made by a company called Sanen Acoustics. The fellow in charge is a gasbag, but I think they make some good quality stuff. You just need to send them the spec sheet.
Look for sanen acoustics on google. And call on their number. Ask for Kunal, and give them my reference.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 01:00   #60
BHPian

And can you suggest me an entry-level 4 channel amp and sub combo based on my listening tastes. Recommend me models I "MUST" audition. My budget being 7-8000 Rupees for these two and 3200 for Damping front doors and Boot (Is it required in a brand new car?). My listening tastes are as quoted below-

Quote:
1. I want the lows to be somewhat tight and of the type that doesn't overpower the vocals. Every instrument should be heard just like the way they were recorded. No exaggeration of any kind. I want the subwoofer to go real low and hit hard but that too, quite musically. I hate it if there is a lot of "BOOM" in the subwoofer. I want a very versatile subwoofer capable of playing most types of sounds, fast slow, hip hop with equal finesse. I want to feel the bass and it should be punchy enough to rock into my bones. Suggest me an all-rounder sub with the type of enclosure for it.

2. The mids, as far as I know is a spectrum of sound where most of the details reside. I want the mids to be extremely musical and not "EAGER", if you can picture this. The mids should be strong and they should not be "FAKE".

3. The highs. Now, this is where it all sums up for me. I JUST HATE BRIGHT AND HARSH VOCALS. I want minimal lisping and whistling. The highs should be realistic and soothing even when female vocals are played. The desi-chhun chhun just puts me off! But at the same time the highs should be accurate and clear. Nothing like what it sounds like when I tone down the highs to -3 in my Pioneer headunit and suddenly a lot of detail is lost.

All in all, I want a clean sounding setup, as realistic as possible and ultra-soothing to listen to. My dad would also be driving the car and we both have quite similar music tastes.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 13th July 2010 at 01:02.