Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 1st June 2010, 19:08   #1
BHPian

Default abhipuru1.6'S ICE Query - Ford Fiesta 1.6S

Hi!
We are going to book our new car within a week or so and most probably it is going to be the Fiesta 1.6S.
Now, guys, I have always had an ICE setup of the kind-
Pioneer MP3 Player
4" Coaxials upfront
6x9 Coaxials at the rear
in my Zen.
It was just a few weeks ago that I changed the front speakers to MTX RTS602 Components. And the change is simply magical. There was so much in sound that I was missing. So, with the coming in of my new car, I would also like to upgrade it's ICE to a full spectrum one, if you know what I mean.
Something capable of playing all frequencies with with equal finesse.

As of now, I think, I would most probably change the front components, add a 4Channel amplifier/ a stereo and a mono amplifier with a 12" DVC subwoofer.

I would be retaining the stock head unit of the Fiesta as of now.
Now, the type of music I listen to is hip-hop, Pop, Punjabi, Ghazals (Jagjit Singh) etc. basically everything that pleases my ears.

If you want it to be more technical then consider this.
1. I want the lows to be somewhat tight and of the type that doesn't overpower the vocals. I want the subwoofer to go real low and hit hard but that too, quite musically. I hate it if there is a lot of "BOOM" in the subwoofer. I want to feel the bass and it should be punchy enough to creep into my bones.

2. The mids, as far as I know is a spectrum of sound where most of the details reside. I want the mids to be extremely musical and not "EAGER", if you can picture this. The mids should be strong and they should not be "FAKE".

3. The highs. Now, this is where it all sums up for me. i JUST HATE BRIGHT AND HARSH VOCALS. I want minimal lisping and whistling. The highs should be realistic and soothing even when female vocals are played. The desi-chhun chhun just puts me off! But at the same time the highs should be accurate and clear. Nothing like what it sounds like when I tone down the highs to -3 in my Pioneer headunit and suddenly a lot of detail is lost.

All in all, I want a clean sounding setup, as realistic as possible and ultra-soothing to listem to. My dad would also be driving the car and we both have quite similar music tastes.

Now, the budget- Rs. 17000 .
As far as damping is concerned, I shall not get it done right away and maybe aftera few months of usage.
The power wiring would most probably be from Havell's or Finolex because
LBM says it would do fine plus my setup wouldn't be played very loud and wouoldn't be "that" power hungry. The RCAs etc. however, would be good quality.

Please help me decide the ICE please.
Best of regards
Abhinav Sharma

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 1st June 2010 at 19:11.
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Have you heard the OE ICE in the Fiesta yet? If you haven't, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's easily the best OE setup in that price segment.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:41   #3
BHPian

No. And I seriously wanna get surprised! Mainly because I am in a fix whether I should opt for a carputer or better sound output. Let's see how things work out.

1. Have you changed anything? Is it all stock for your car's ICE?

2. Do you think adding a carputer to the existing system would be fruitful?

3. I shall be removing the stock headunit for this. Would warranty be affected?

4. Or should I rather add a stereo amplifier for fronts and a cheap mono for a Sub in the existing setup till the time the speakers give up as I think giving away absolutely new speakers would be a waste? Can I do this?

5. Or a 4 channel for two fronts and bridged for the Sub?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 2nd June 2010 at 12:52.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
No. And I seriously wanna get surprised! Mainly because I am in a fix whether I should opt for a carputer or better sound output. Let's see how things work out.
The stock ICE is seriously good enough for non-audiophile types. Listen to it.

Quote:
1. Have you changed anything? Is it all stock for your car's ICE?
I changed the rear speakers to JBL GTO 948 just this Sunday to get a little more bass and a better rear soundstage. Front is perfect for me.

Quote:
2. Do you think adding a carputer to the existing system would be fruitful?
Depends on your expectations. I don't think I will ever need a carputer etc. My ICE needs are fairly basic.

Quote:
3. I shall be removing the stock headunit for this. Would warranty be affected?
Warranty will not be affected as long as you don't cut anything. Contact frankmehta for details. He has extensively changed his ICE without affecting warranty.

Quote:
4. Or should I rather add a stereo amplifier for fronts and a cheap mono for a Sub in the existing setup till the time the speakers give up as I think giving away absolutely new speakers would be a waste? Can I do this?

5. Or a 4 channel for two fronts and bridged for the Sub?
Listen to the OE ICE first and come back and write a post about what improvements you need. I am sure the gurus here can help.
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Listen to the OE ICE first and come back and write a post about what improvements you need. I am sure the gurus here can help.
Oh yeah! Maybe this is the way I should go around this problem. I think I am contemplating too much.

And regarding the wire cutting part, where exactly do I need to take care? Is there a wire while fitting ICE which needs to be cut? Plus, if we change speakers (like you did to the rears) didn't you cut the existing speaker wire through your head unit, or you retained it and just changed the speaker?

Does our head unit have any pre-outs?
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah! Maybe this is the way I should go around this problem. I think I am contemplating too much.

And regarding the wire cutting part, where exactly do I need to take care? Is there a wire while fitting ICE which needs to be cut? Plus, if we change speakers (like you did to the rears) didn't you cut the existing speaker wire through your head unit, or you retained it and just changed the speaker?

Does our head unit have any pre-outs?
There are no pre outs in the HU. You have to use speaker level output and it may not sound great. Change the HU first before doing anything else. And I just plugged in the new rear speakers to the existing wires.

As for the wire cutting part, just get hold of a reputed installer who has worked on Fiestas before. He will know what precautions to take.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:02   #7
BHPian

So, if I want to use a subwoofer, then what do I do?
Would I have to do away with the rear speakers or can I use them in tandem?
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, if I want to use a subwoofer, then what do I do?
Would I have to do away with the rear speakers or can I use them in tandem?
A sub connected to the stock HU via an amp will sound like crap. But Shajufx has done something like that and he says it sounds good enough for him. Like I said, if you don't like the stock sound, change the HU first. After that, you can do anything including adding amps, subs etc. You will need rear speakers if people sit regularly in the back. Else it will give them a headache.

PS: I am not an ICE guru so whatever advice I am giving is probably all wrong. Get guys like Nitrous or Navin or DerAlte to chip in.
Old 3rd July 2010, 19:24   #9
BHPian

Okay! So in my ban period I kept thinking a lot about this. Now,
a query-
1. Can I use my new MTX 6" components (which I really like) in my Fiesta?

2. Can I use the Fiesta components in my Zen instead with a spacer or something?

3. If yes, then I shall look for a 4 Channel Amplifier and a nice Sub that suits my taste. Need suggestions here.
Old 3rd July 2010, 19:57   #10
BHPian

1.Yes
2.No, the fiesta has 5X7 speakers as OE
3.As 2 is a no, you need to rethink this point
sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 20:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

One can fit 6" or 6.5" in the 5x7 location with a spacer. Ditto for the reverse in the Zen. Just make sure that the spacers are cut and put in a way that there are no gaps around the speaker periphery.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:18   #12
BHPian

@abhipuru16 , for amp + sub combo , i would suggest a bull audio sub and a kenwood 8401 if you are on budget. trust me , i have this combo in my alto and you wont regret your decision + you are more then welcome for a audition when you are in delhi.
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:34   #13
BHPian

+1 to NOTORIOUS,

Me too have the bull sub with kenwood 5203. Its very nice combo.

ICE upgrade for my Indica turbo
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
no gaps around the speaker periphery.
Any pic to explain this?
Old 4th July 2010, 10:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Check @frankmehta's thread where he has put pictures of the Alpine SPX component installation. In his case, the adapter came with the speaker, but if you look at the pics you will get an idea.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote