Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2005, 21:13   #1
BHPian
 
eagle_f1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 141
Thanked: 12 Times
Talking Cd Rom in a Cielo?

Hey guys i saw a cielo woth a cd rom connected to the music system and being used as a cd player.

please shed some more light on this.
eagle_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2005, 21:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

well, i did read a setup like this somewhere in this forum

Last edited by Domnic : 27th October 2005 at 19:09.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 12:29   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 690
Thanked: Once
Default

Very much possible. You could use the CD ROM as a transport and then use the DAC of the HU (if one is being used). You could also take the analog out of the CD ROM and amplify it. This is done by many DIYers for home system. That way you could build your own high-end DAC and get better sound. In fact, I myself was thinking of doing it for my home audio system. But it might be too much of a headache implementing this in a car.
Vivekphadnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 14:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

One can use a cd rom in a car. The drive needs 12V and 5V to run. Since a 12V-13.2 V supply is present in the car, one can create a simple voltage regulator using an LM7812 and LM7805 to create the necessary supply for a CD rom in the car. After that the analog outputs can be connected to and pre-amp OR the SPDIF output can be connected to a good DAC which then goes to a pre-amp to achieve decent results.

This is the good word like St. Navin would put it.

I would say, What Cr*p, why do such a silly thing in the car.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 15:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

coz cdrom = 1500 rs...dvdrom =1700-2500rs.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 15:11   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default

ok guys now you giving me ideas and seeing that Sam promised me the eyeballer (i read it needs a new HU too) for a drive you gonna get me started on something that might drive Sam nuts.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 16:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,452 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
ok guys now you giving me ideas and seeing that Sam promised me the eyeballer (i read it needs a new HU too) for a drive you gonna get me started on something that might drive Sam nuts.

NAHEE!! Oh No! JK what have you done?
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 19:47   #8
BHPian
 
eagle_f1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 141
Thanked: 12 Times
Lightbulb ??????????

Please would u pundits explain it in simpler terms !!!!!

How much would it cost excluding the CD ROM ?????
eagle_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 20:26   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_f1
Please would u pundits explain it in simpler terms !!!!!

How much would it cost excluding the CD ROM ?????
Well if you have a portable CD player already, all you need to buy is a car CD jack.

This device looks like a casette but has a small head instead of magentic tape. There is a long wire with a jack at the end that projects from one end of the casette. Insert this jack into the line out / headphone socket of the cd man (portable cd player).

Then insert the casette into the tape slot of the headunit of the stereo equipment.

Play the cd's in the cd man as usual.

If you do not want to use batteries in the cd man there is a cigarette lighter jack available that you can use. Just plug it into the "dc in" of the cd man.

Price? I paid $32 USD for this contraption 5 years back. Made by Panasonic. Very good quality. Hardly used it as i got a cd changer as a gift soon after.

Suck kits are available in place like Burma Bazar etc where you get pirated stuff.

Worth the money and also no damage to the HU.

Hope this clarifies. PM me if you need more details.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 20:48   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,988
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
Well if you have a portable CD player already, all you need to buy is a car CD jack.

This device looks like a casette but has a small head instead of magentic tape. There is a long wire with a jack at the end that projects from one end of the casette. Insert this jack into the line out / headphone socket of the cd man (portable cd player).

Then insert the casette into the tape slot of the headunit of the stereo equipment.

Play the cd's in the cd man as usual.

If you do not want to use batteries in the cd man there is a cigarette lighter jack available that you can use. Just plug it into the "dc in" of the cd man.

Price? I paid $32 USD for this contraption 5 years back. Made by Panasonic. Very good quality. Hardly used it as i got a cd changer as a gift soon after.

Suck kits are available in place like Burma Bazar etc where you get pirated stuff.

Worth the money and also no damage to the HU.

Hope this clarifies. PM me if you need more details.


i think you mis understood.your talking about connecting your DISC MAN to your casset player.here they are talking about using a CD ROM in a car


Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 21:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

and even if u have that cassette jack stuff wher will u find the road 2 use it?

here we r discussing abt using a dvd-rom ( alright cdrom) 4 car audio. glad no one asked it we can get dolby digital/DTS 5.1 frm it. phew
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 22:50   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Talking

[quote=revtech] i think you mis understood.your talking about connecting your DISC MAN to your casset player.here they are talking about using a CD ROM in a car


Oops... Sorry....
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 22:51   #13
BHPian
 
techn0l0gist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ponda, Goa
Posts: 333
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
One can use a cd rom in a car. The drive needs 12V and 5V to run. Since a 12V-13.2 V supply is present in the car, one can create a simple voltage regulator using an LM7812 and LM7805 to create the necessary supply for a CD rom in the car. After that the analog outputs can be connected to and pre-amp OR the SPDIF output can be connected to a good DAC which then goes to a pre-amp to achieve decent results.

This is the good word like St. Navin would put it.

I would say, What Cr*p, why do such a silly thing in the car.
I used to use a similar setup some couple of years back in my m800 but i used to give the output to a home made TDA1554Q based amp. Well .... it was nothing close to the audiophile stuff that you guys do...but well it sounded quite well when coupled with some decent speakers.

somethine similar and better is described here(with pics!):
http://www.sorgonet.com/trashing/enhancedcdplayer/
http://www.sorgonet.com/trashing/Com...ioCDCarPlayer/

Well it might sound silly but i feel it's a pretty nice thing to do when you dont have all the dough
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 22:52   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
and even if u have that cassette jack stuff wher will u find the road 2 use it?

here we r discussing abt using a dvd-rom ( alright cdrom) 4 car audio. glad no one asked it we can get dolby digital/DTS 5.1 frm it. phew

Well some portable cd players have anti skip function. I had no problems with this on Bangalore roads...
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 23:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

5yrs back and howmany seconds u had on anti skip? i even had one, a philips one with so called anti skip ( some shocj absorber function). 2days anti-skip means buffering ahead
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smartphone ROM flashing: HTC Touch 3G (Jade) RX135 Gadgets, Computers & Software 2 19th August 2010 14:55
DVD rom/CD R-W drive busted vivekiny2k Gadgets, Computers & Software 8 14th October 2007 15:48
HELP!! installing windows xp without cd-rom drive. clipto333 Gadgets, Computers & Software 19 23rd June 2007 19:41
Want to turbo-charge my Cielo!! shahmotors Modifications & Accessories 7 17th June 2004 21:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks