Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th June 2010, 20:59   #1
BHPian

Default Fabia Rear Speakers DIY help

Today out of boredom i decided why not go ahead and add rear speakers all by myself, so i took all my tools and stuff to the car (weather was really pleasant), first did an overall evaluation on how to get started.

mind you i have not bought the speakers as yet as i was not sure if I'll be able to do it myself.

so first i took the bezel out of fascia of HU, unscrewed four torx screws and the HU was all loose, took it out and found the the rear speaker pin outs were lying unused.
now i went to the rear doors, unscrewed a torx near bottom of door card, then i wondered if this was the only screw, so soon after i started pulling the door card towards my self, slowly unlocking the clips which were holding it in place.

after the entire perimeter of it was loosened, the panel still refused to come out, then i saw two more torx screws hidden beneath the door handle, so then I removed the 'pull door handle' after some prying unscrewed the remaing 2 screws and voila! the panel was finally apart.

So, i've covered 2 parts out of 3 in the diy to install rear speakers i.e.

1- I know how to attach wires to HU,
2- I can install speakers.
but third remains which is wiring.

anyone with any help will be greatly appreciated.
will certainly snap pics and make a good diy if i manage to complete it
successfully.

Thanks
aviral2122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 21:24   #2
BHPian

Its a nice attempt you are trying to make.
However, I'd seriously suggest you to go to an experienced person, or atleast have one near when you are doing this. Someone who has worked on the Fabia.

You dont want to be messing around with a new car's electricals, that too a Fabia. God forbid if something goes wrong, you just might have to say good bye to the ever so popular Skoda warranty, amongst other problems.

Learn alongwith, while a professional is working on it. my 2 cents .. Good luck.

And yes, I will be watching this thread for sure. Even I am contemplating adding rear speakers to my Fabby
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 21:44   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Its a nice attempt you are trying to make.
However, I'd seriously suggest you to go to an experienced person, or atleast have one near when you are doing this. Someone who has worked on the Fabia.

You dont want to be messing around with a new car's electricals, that too a Fabia. God forbid if something goes wrong, you just might have to say good bye to the ever so popular Skoda warranty, amongst other problems.

Learn alongwith, while a professional is working on it. my 2 cents .. Good luck.

And yes, I will be watching this thread for sure. Even I am contemplating adding rear speakers to my Fabby
yes i am very well aware of warranty issues, but i believe since this case doesn't involve any cutting of wires or parts it should be all cool.
Old 10th June 2010, 16:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
yes i am very well aware of warranty issues, but i believe since this case doesn't involve any cutting of wires or parts it should be all cool.
Congrats on the DIY decision. The first thing to make sure if there is a wiring already present for rear speakers. I believe its not there for Fabia That can be found out from the electrical diagram of Fabia. Wiring them is not such a big deal once you find out the path for wiring. In most of the cars, the wiring runs through the base through driver side. You can easily pull them out and do the wiring. Again, it won't void any electrical warranty since you are not cutting any wires there. But one thing you have to make sure is while selecting the speakers. Check your HU details to find out what is the right impedance for the HU. Normally it will be ranging from 4 OHM to 8 OHM. If that is the case, go fetch any 4 OHM speakers from the market. Connecting a lower impedance speaker to a HU with higher impedance may heat up the HU and lead to a complete mess.
bhp_maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 20:29   #5
BHPian

i got the gto608c installed professionally, the box says 4ohms, should i worry about hu heating and all.
Old 15th June 2010, 06:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry about the HU heating up - 4ohms is the rated load impedance for most HUs.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 08:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviral2122 View Post
i got the gto608c installed professionally, the box says 4ohms, should i worry about hu heating and all.

Congrats, hows the feedback after the install ?

I am assuming you've not used any amp yet.
How do the speakers gel with the OE HU and the stock front speakers ?

And cost ?
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 11:02   #8
BHPian

sound is great, but i can feel the lack of power (obviously), they are good with OE HU and Speakers.
got them for 4.3k installed.
what do you have to say about impedance.
which is the least costing 2 or 4 channel amp i can buy which has high level inputs.