Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 15th June 2010, 17:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default New ICE but sad install, need a good installer ( Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai )

Got some new ice bits for my old zen. The only sound car made all these years was the engine/exhaust sound apart from the ocassional rattle. Never needed music in the car. But at times you got to listen to the ladies and what was initially planned as a surpise turned out making my car look outright messy.

I got a Pio DEH-5250SD HU + JBL 6" round speakers for the front door + JBL GTO947 CO-axials at the rear. Although i was happy with the price for which i got the stuff, i made a huge mistake of getting the install done from the same place. My car ended up looking more shabby than it was before the install. The wooden rings used on the front doors stick out of the doors and the speakers are fixed in an uneven manner. Didnt bother about the wires, but now i feel like i should have gone for better wires. Not happy with the rear tray aswell, i am sure it could be better. Not sure i require dampening but would definetly go for it is going to make any difference.

I am looking for someone who can do a decent job, nothing fancy..and at a reasonable price. Any recommendations guys, i am in Navi Mumbai and planned to get it done on the coming Thursday or Friday. Any indicators on the approx costs will also be great.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 15th June 2010 at 17:06.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 17:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

To give you guys an idea, the door install almost looks like this. ( Pic borrowed from another thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...nding-bad.html )

I have JBL GT5-S265 on the front doors.
Old 15th June 2010, 17:42   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your setup bro! though i can really understand your pain because of the bad install job...

Anyways, i would suggest you re-install the front and rear speakers all over again.....i think you will be okay with the standard wiring used as you are not using an amp.........In the future if you do install an amplifier for your speakers, do make sure you buy some good 16g speaker wires

Regarding the speaker install, i suggest you do a complete re-install of the same both front and rear....I would suggest FM Drive, Khar (Mumbai) for the same.

Damping - Though damping would really help iron out vibrations but since you are running your speakers off the stock HU....i don't think you will need it.

Costs: I guess a simple re-install of the Front + Rear speakers should not cost you more than 500-750 bucks..I am sure the front spacers can be fixed in a better way soo as to make the front speaker install look better finished overall.

Now coming to the rear tray...its upto you if you want to keep it or discard it for something better..obviously you will have to pay for a better tray if you plan to discard the current one as you dont seem to be happy with it at all

Hope it helps

cheers
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 23:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Contact Ajay aka Bass&Trouble, he'll do the needful. PM him for further details.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 03:01   #5
BHPian

Sorry to see you getting upset about it. its certainly a Nightmare.

JBL 6" round speaker in Pic above is De-shaped, it will not perform as it should be
the installer shop should replace this for you if they charged you full price for it.

Also the speaker doesn't give me a look of a new one, what do the experts here say ?

the screws are hammered to the spacer, I think installer didn't knew whats the difference between installing a speaker and hammering a screw in wall to hang a photo-frame.
even a novice installer would not brutally KILL those speakers like this.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 03:32   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Sorry to see you getting upset about it. its certainly a Nightmare.

JBL 6" round speaker in Pic above is De-shaped, it will not perform as it should be
the installer shop should replace this for you if they charged you full price for it.

Also the speaker doesn't give me a look of a new one, what do the experts here say ?

the screws are hammered to the spacer, I think installer didn't knew whats the difference between installing a speaker and hammering a screw in wall to hang a photo-frame.
even a novice installer would not brutally KILL those speakers like this.
ghpk, he mentioned that the pic has been borrowed from another thread onky for reference. The speakers in the picture are not his.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 11:33   #7
BHPian

I too am from Navi Mumbai and I know there are no competent installers here. I went to Ajay Kamat all the way to Vile Parle and I can vouch for his quality of work. Very easy going and not at all imposing.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 11:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

I went back to the same place from where i got the speakers installed. The guy agreed to re do the fittings but asked me to come next week as his best guy is on a vacation and is expected to return that time. Hopefully this time its going to be better.
Old 18th June 2010, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Got some new ice bits for my old zen. The only sound car made all these years was the engine/exhaust sound apart from the ocassional rattle. Never needed music in the car. But at times you got to listen to the ladies and what was initially planned as a surpise turned out making my car look outright messy.

I got a Pio DEH-5250SD HU + JBL 6" round speakers for the front door + JBL GTO947 CO-axials at the rear. Although i was happy with the price for which i got the stuff, i made a huge mistake of getting the install done from the same place. My car ended up looking more shabby than it was before the install. The wooden rings used on the front doors stick out of the doors and the speakers are fixed in an uneven manner. Didnt bother about the wires, but now i feel like i should have gone for better wires. Not happy with the rear tray aswell, i am sure it could be better. Not sure i require dampening but would definetly go for it is going to make any difference.

I am looking for someone who can do a decent job, nothing fancy..and at a reasonable price. Any recommendations guys, i am in Navi Mumbai and planned to get it done on the coming Thursday or Friday. Any indicators on the approx costs will also be great.
Hello buddy congrats on the new audio install,Installing 6"inch in zen requires a pair of MDF spacer rings with a minimum of 5/8"inch thickness so that can stand the weight of the speaker in the front for the rear i did not understand why did you went for installing a tray,as this would not give you a better effect unless you make a specific thickness fit+finished MDF tray.If you mount the speakers on the hatch door your speaker will sound wonderful.Along with good sound you can even expect some tight low's giving you an illusion of you using a subwoofer in the back,as well it will save alot of space.The only drawback since JBL947LE is a bit heavy on weight your dicky shocks might not take the load getting the dicky come down.But i think for the effect you can live with it hehehehe.

Eg.how you can mount the rear speakers in a zen

Ramie
Attached Images

ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 18:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Hello buddy congrats on the new audio install,Installing 6"inch in zen requires a pair of MDF spacer rings with a minimum of 5/8"inch thickness so that can stand the weight of the speaker in the front for the rear i did not understand why did you went for installing a tray,as this would not give you a better effect unless you make a specific thickness fit+finished MDF tray.If you mount the speakers on the hatch door your speaker will sound wonderful.Along with good sound you can even expect some tight low's giving you an illusion of you using a subwoofer in the back,as well it will save alot of space.The only drawback since JBL947LE is a bit heavy on weight your dicky shocks might not take the load getting the dicky come down.But i think for the effect you can live with it hehehehe.

Eg.how you can mount the rear speakers in a zen

Ramie
Hey Ramie, thanks for the tips and the picture. I went for the tray as i was not aware that speakers could be installed on the hatch door in that manner. I can definetly do with more space in the rear. Now only if i can find someone to do that kind of install this side of town. Where did you get that install done from? please pm or post the contact details here.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

Finally happy with the installation and also the sound. Big thanks to Ramie and his team. Made a trip to his shop "Sound factor" in Mira road and they did a great job of re installing the entire speakers. The 947 co-axials are now mounted on the hatch door and sound way better than before, the lows are indeed tighter. The GT5-S265 on the front door were also reinstalled and some wiring was changed. Now it sounds way better than before and a clean job too. He also explained to me patiently in detail the various fuctions of my HU and what they mean. Great guy and a great team! Pictures of the install coming up shortly.
Old 23rd June 2010, 21:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

still awaiting pics buddy...
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 20:12   #13
BHPian

Hey All,
I am sorry in case i am hijacking a thread a little.
But even i have a problem finding a good technician to install in New Delhi (NCR).
I have brand new Sony system with component speakers lying at my place.
Can anyone suggest a good technician who could fit that in my swift.
I dont wanna end-up with something like above.
Thanks in advance.
Shobhit
keralshobhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 20:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

You can go through this buddy.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 22:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Finally managed to take some pics today. I am happy with the way the car is sounding now, great job done by Ramie and his team. The sound has improved tremendously after moving the speakers from the tray to the hatch door. The thump is tighter and cleaner. However the hatch door tends to vibrate at higher volumes which i guess is understood. Wondering if dampening would eliminate that? I would definetly recommend these speakers and the install job from professionals like the guys from " Sound factor" for people who are on a budget and want a decent sound in a small car like zen.
Attached Thumbnails
New ICE but sad install, need a good installer ( Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai )-img_3913.jpg  

New ICE but sad install, need a good installer ( Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai )-img_3915.jpg  

New ICE but sad install, need a good installer ( Mumbai/ Navi Mumbai )-img_3916.jpg  

Last edited by heavy_foot : 27th June 2010 at 22:18.