Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th June 2010, 15:30   #1
BHPian

Default mp3 skipping problem

Hi,

I recently got a custom ICE installed in my new i10 Magna AT. It is JVC HU (KD-R716). The problem is that sometimes mp3 songs skip with a high pitched white noise. This happens with both CDs and USB drive. The funny part is if I put the same songs on a different pen drive, the songs may not skip but other songs might skip on the different pen drive. Initially I thought it was because of VBR mp3, but then when I found converted CBR (320kbps) songs also skip. This will be some totally different song while the song that earlier skipped (VBR now converted to CBR) will now play correctly. The songs skip at exactly the same part - like if I replay the song.

The HU otherwise has a very good audio quality. However this is a very irritating problem. What to do? Is it a defective HU? Should I get it replaced? Or will it happen in other HUs?
sourav21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 18:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like your song files have data corruption (not file or sector corruption) in the file causing "skipping" (sort of a chhik-chhik sound?). Could also be that the CD has scratches, and transfer to the pen-drive took over the corruption. Please check.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 19:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Sounds like your song files have data corruption (not file or sector corruption) in the file causing "skipping" (sort of a chhik-chhik sound?). Could also be that the CD has scratches, and transfer to the pen-drive took over the corruption. Please check.
Unfortunately CD scratching cannot be the cause because I transferred to the CD/pen drive from my PC. All these songs play flawlessly in WinAMP. Some are downloaded from internet and some are self made mp3s with lame.

I have a sony unit in another car and I have not found this problem with the sony HU.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav21 View Post
I have a sony unit in another car and I have not found this problem with the sony HU.
make a 128kbps rip of the same songs on another pen drive or CD and report.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 12:24   #5
BHPian

I have noticed a similar problem in my Blaupunkt MP57 HU.

Music is being played through a 4 GB Kingston USB stick.

There is one particular song on this USB stick which doesn't get played completely. It plays upto a certain point every time, then moves to the next song.

The same song (exactly same file on the same USB stick) plays properly on a PC in Winamp. Bit rate is 320 kbps.

Other songs in the same album with the same bit rate are playing properly in the same HU.

Is the problem because of the high bit rate ?

Rohan

P.S. The problem is happening in my favourite song of that album.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 18:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Different systems treat the missing packet problem while decoding differently. Lower bit rate encoding helps especially for debugging, as Navin suggested.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 18:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is kind of related to the ongoing discussion and i thought i can post this question here. I have a collection of mp3's from various sources. Issue is a few mp3 files are not being played when played via USB whereas the same files are playing just about fine when burnt and played through the CD in the same HU. Im unable to find out the exact reason behind this, any thoughts?
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 19:33   #8
BHPian

I too have the same problem in my i20 when I play the mp3 using an external hard drive. The files play fine in the PC but skips consistently in the car's audio system. Today I joined two mp3 files (One that works followed by one that skips). I will check if it is able to read the entire contents of the file.

Edit:- The files that are being skipped are 16kbps files

Last edited by crossroads : 29th June 2010 at 19:36.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 08:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Is the problem because of the high bit rate ?
not only bit rate but also complexity of music or sometimes very low noise floor or cresendos.

think of the HU as a PC and you are feeding it data at a particular rate...then the data gets more complex and has increased dynamic range etc.. the CPU cant keep up and hangs. In a few milliseconds it realises it has hung and skips to a part of the music that is feels safe with.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 10:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
not only bit rate but also complexity of music or sometimes very low noise floor or cresendos.

think of the HU as a PC and you are feeding it data at a particular rate...then the data gets more complex and has increased dynamic range etc.. the CPU cant keep up and hangs. In a few milliseconds it realises it has hung and skips to a part of the music that is feels safe with.
The song which is being skipped midway is a remix. I guess the HU is not able to handle the complexity of the remix.

Thanks for the info. I'll reduce the bit-rate to 128 kbps. That should solve the problem.

Anyway, my untrained ears can't tell the difference between 128 kbps and 320 kbps music.

Rohan
Old 30th June 2010, 11:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Anyway, my untrained ears can't tell the difference between 128 kbps and 320 kbps music.

Rohan
On your computer, rightclick the mp3 file and check the properties. kbps will be shown there. Depending upon the operating system, I guess kbps is shown in the file tooltip message also, if you just put mouse cursor over the file.
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 17:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
make a 128kbps rip of the same songs on another pen drive or CD and report.
Let me check but as I said it is difficult to reproduce. I'll have to have a whole pen drive of 128 kbps rips and only if the whole drive plays well will I be reasonably sure that it is high bit rate that was the problem. As I said the same song did not skip if transferred to another pen drive but other songs started skipping.

Incidentally the dealer got the same song in the same pen drive to play in a pioneer HU without skipping.

But my general idea was that JVC is better than sony or pioneer.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
On your computer, rightclick the mp3 file and check the properties. kbps will be shown there. Depending upon the operating system, I guess kbps is shown in the file tooltip message also, if you just put mouse cursor over the file.
What I meant is that my (non-audiophile) ears can't tell the difference between the sound quality of 128 kbps and 320 kbps music.

Unless the bit rate is less than 128 kbps, I can't tell the difference.

Windows Vista OS on my laptop does show the bit-rate of the files when you hover the mouse pointer over the file icon.

Rohan
Old 1st July 2010, 14:31   #14
BHPian

ok ok . . . got it
WDM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:32   #15
BHPian

Got the HU changed. New HU - Kenwood 8016BT. Now the songs play without skip. The problem was really with the JVC unit. My requirements were bluetooth hands free and A2DP, 24bit DAC, USB, Aux In.

Odd thing is the JVC service center in Koramangala would not accept that the problem is with the player. The guy was saying it was "recording" problem. I wrote an email to JVC and they agreed to take it back to have a look. But I figured it would be a long drawn process. So I talked to the vendor and he gave me a reasonably good buy back for the JVC unit. I had thrown off the box and he knew there was a problem with the HU. I got 70% of the price I paid.