Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 21:46   #1
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied

Punto (Emotion onwards) comes with a OE music system. The speakers are an aboslute horror to say the least. I cant increase volume beyond 6 as it starts jarring. Thought of just upgrading the front speakers and added a JBL GTO 608c comps. That sounded a helluva lot better than the stock speakers. I could increase the volume to around 16 now. But still wasnt satisfied . Oh and the installation was crappy to say the least. This was done in Jan.

Jumping the company in IT brings its own rewards in the form of PF money,
gratuity etc . I was planning to get my ICE upgraded when i receive the gratuity money. Just wanted to upgrade the rear speakers and do some
damping on all doors and then Muneem (fellow bhpian) gave me this idea of
the DLS C6A comps and Focal Solid 4. You may wonder why i went for solid 4 with the OE HU and no sub. Punto OEM headset doesnt come with a pre out. So wanted a good amp with speaker level inputs.This sunday he arranged the installation. Let the pics do the talking for installation.DLS went to front doors and JBLs were moved to rear doors. Focal went to the boot..

ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0441.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0442.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0444.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0445.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0448.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0450.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0453.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0456.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0457.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0459.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-photo0003.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0461.jpg
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-img_0469.jpg

Now i will do the talking for the listening part . It sounds way way better than what i had earlier."Comfortably Numb" never felt so good. More refined and it sounds just right for me. The 608c is a bit bright though. Have to do something about it. hmm.

And the million dollar question is am i satisfied with it. Hell No (just
like muneem warned me)!!! Why - Like Neo to Trinity in Matrix "bass. lots
n lots of bass!!"So when i am i going to get the guns err!! bass?? 3 months
from now , i believe i will kick some real punto "boot"


Stage 2 upgrades coming - HU upgrade + Sub. Back to listening as of now.And a big thanks to Muneem for answering all my queries and arranging the install on a Sunday. You rock man!!!

Cost splitup

Comps - DLS C6A - 8k
Amp - Focal Solid 4 - 13k
Damping - 4k
Wiring - 3k

Specs

Focal Solid 4
  • 4-channel car amplifier
  • 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
  • 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
  • variable high- and low-pass filters (50-150 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
  • Class-AB amplifier design
  • frequency response: 10-60,000 Hz
  • preamp- and speaker-level inputs
DLS C6A
  • 6-1/2" Classic Series Component System
  • Power Handling:
    • Peak: 180 watts per set / 90 watts each side
    • RMS: 120 watts per set / 60 watts each side
  • Fiber cone woofer
  • Foam surround
  • 0.80" Silk dome tweeter
  • DLS EFR-technology (Extended Frequency Response) for improved sound quality
  • Separate cable filters for bass and tweeter using air coils for maximum performance
  • 4 ohms impedance
  • 3.15" Wide magnet
  • Top-mount depth: 2.48"

Last edited by Soccerfan : 28th June 2010 at 21:52.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 21:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Bl00dy!

Please drive down to Trivandrum! My compos are resting near my bed! Envy you man!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 22:08   #3
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

i was expecting you JK. LOL . I got the idea for DLS from your thread only. So when are you coming to Kochi for installation??
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 22:23   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Amartya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,699
Thanked: 376 Times
Default

Interesting installation, got the link from your ownership report. I wonder why the insulating tape (if that what the silver stuff is), is cut into pieces in such an irregular and random fashion. I know these won't be visible, but it seems that a workshop that takes pride in its work will pay attention to this.

I know I am being too nitpicky (and perhaps wrong as I don't know much about ICE ), you enjoy the music.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 23:29   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
blueraven316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,109
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

What they have done is not completely wrong,

the idea is to close all fissures / holes where ever the pad will be exposed to the inside of the door, really cleans up the sound.

However it could look like this too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Interesting installation, got the link from your ownership report. I wonder why the insulating tape (if that what the silver stuff is), is cut into pieces in such an irregular and random fashion. I know these won't be visible, but it seems that a workshop that takes pride in its work will pay attention to this.

I know I am being too nitpicky (and perhaps wrong as I don't know much about ICE ), you enjoy the music.
Attached Thumbnails
ICE ICE baby. Punto"ICE"fied-23012010679.jpg  

blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 23:33   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Interesting installation, got the link from your ownership report. I wonder why the insulating tape (if that what the silver stuff is), is cut into pieces in such an irregular and random fashion. I know these won't be visible, but it seems that a workshop that takes pride in its work will pay attention to this.

I know I am being too nitpicky (and perhaps wrong as I don't know much about ICE ), you enjoy the music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
W

However it could look like this too .
This type of install is called a budget install

Soccer; what next?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2010, 23:37   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
blueraven316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,109
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
This type of install is called a budget install
Yep and it does not look wrong to me,

Anyways noise kill is cost effective so even the entire door wont cost an arm and leg more, but as I felt, it's not totally wrong either what they did .

Last edited by blueraven316 : 28th June 2010 at 23:39. Reason: Spelling :)
blueraven316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 10:04   #8
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Yep and it does not look wrong to me,

Anyways noise kill is cost effective so even the entire door wont cost an arm and leg more, but as I felt, it's not totally wrong either what they did .
Since money was a constraint i made sure we did enough damping to fill all openings in the door. I can go for more damping at a later stage if needed.
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 23:25   #9
BHPian
 
muneemmk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cochin
Posts: 809
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Hey kiran couldn't hang around to audition it,maybe come around for a meet this week if you are in town.

I had Dynamat with me but to keep the costs in check used the noise kill , if some kind of rattling or something like that comes up could always open up and add one more layer of the same thing even then it wouldn't cost anything.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 23:44   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
And the million dollar question is am i satisfied with it. Hell No (just
like muneem warned me)!!! Why - Like Neo to Trinity in Matrix "bass. lots
n lots of bass!!"So when i am i going to get the guns err!! bass?? 3 months
from now , i believe i will kick some real punto "boot"
He he.. No bass, no ICE!!!!

Nice setup
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 00:02   #11
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Hey kiran couldn't hang around to audition it,maybe come around for a meet this week if you are in town.

I had Dynamat with me but to keep the costs in check used the noise kill , if some kind of rattling or something like that comes up could always open up and add one more layer of the same thing even then it wouldn't cost anything.
Will try to meet you on saturday morning as i am occupied for the rest of the weekend. No rattles now . Doors closes with an even better thud and some rattles have disappeared altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
He he.. No bass, no ICE!!!!

Nice setup
Thanks mr. cleverji
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 12:34   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
chiragh_bir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In front of you :P
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 69 Times
Default

nice equipment , but sorry for 4k you just got only this much of damping and that also noise kill ???
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:22   #13
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
nice equipment , but sorry for 4k you just got only this much of damping and that also noise kill ???
This includes the total labour cost for ICE instalaltion also. Thats why 4k
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 18:48   #14
BHPian
 
vaisakhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: KL-32
Posts: 358
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

Congrats soccerfan. Nice install.

Btw, music is not completely about bass. You will sure need an unbiased setup for complete enjoyment. This is the right sequence of upgrade. Get the comps then add more bass with a sub. Otherwise you won't get the balanced feel. I am telling from my own experience. I installed the bull sub with 2stock speakers (blaus)in front and 2 6X9 in the rear. What happened is that the system is more rear biased (i prefer it more). Those 2 speakers in the front are of no use at all. So the main singer is the rear 6X9s. But now I can't increase the bass beyond a certain level. The bull will crack the sound of the ovals after certain level. So there will be only bass and cracked music in the front. I have to install a good pair of compos in the front to balance the system.

Any way nice setup bro, an audition is pending, why don't we make another 'quick meet in cochin?'
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 21:43   #15
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Congrats soccerfan. Nice install.

Btw, music is not completely about bass. You will sure need an unbiased setup for complete enjoyment. This is the right sequence of upgrade. Get the comps then add more bass with a sub. Otherwise you won't get the balanced feel. I am telling from my own experience. I installed the bull sub with 2stock speakers (blaus)in front and 2 6X9 in the rear. What happened is that the system is more rear biased (i prefer it more). Those 2 speakers in the front are of no use at all. So the main singer is the rear 6X9s. But now I can't increase the bass beyond a certain level. The bull will crack the sound of the ovals after certain level. So there will be only bass and cracked music in the front. I have to install a good pair of compos in the front to balance the system.

Any way nice setup bro, an audition is pending, why don't we make another 'quick meet in cochin?'
i think you didnt read the post well. I have added DLS C6A comps in front and moved the 608c to rear door. So thing pending is the sub
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7 sushanthr77 The International Automotive Scene 167 25th November 2011 12:02
ICE ICE Baby!!!!!!!!(Swift ICE) scarlet.fever In-Car Entertainment 21 23rd September 2009 20:25
sx4 jbl'fied but shrilly output HELP !! l3g0l4s In-Car Entertainment 33 25th June 2008 09:52
A Zzimble JBL-fied Alpine ICE ! maxbhp In-Car Entertainment 14 5th December 2007 23:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks