Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd July 2010, 17:06   #1
BHPian

Default ICE Set-up for a Punto Emotion Pack : Need gyan on right speakers

Yes, I am aware that there are quite a few threads present on a Punto ICE set-up;however, I want something different which I could not find anywhere here.

So, here's how i want it:
I want to keep the stock stereo. I believe that the Blau HU is not as bad as the sound o/p seems. It seems to be more of a problem with the cheap speakers. Hence, I want a decent set of speakers and I have a budget close to 200 GBP for that.

Since I want to keep the stock HU, I am going in the PNP way. The amp of my choice is the THA475PNP.

Since its only the front seats that are occupied for 95% of the time, I do not want to invest in the rear speakers. However, I am willing to go the way for the front components. I would either get rid of the ones at the back or probably put in Blau/JBL 4" there.

My music preference is varied. I enjoy Beethoven as much as I do enjoy RnB.However, I am not much of a bass person, so, I would tend to be on the SQ side of the line, a bit towards the center probably.

Gurus, I want your help to decide what speakers should go with Blau475 and HU.
I dont want to go for the most expensive ones and realize that my HU and Amp are not up to it :(.
I would love to have a setup which makes the right use of the Amp and the HU.
I had checked out some Rainbow, ID, Illusion and Alpine stuff.But being a proper noob in this trade of speakers (I do have a degree in music tho ), I couldnt decide.

Appreciate all the response. However, I only have 3 weeks from now to order these speakers.

Time for the first owned Punto to get a upgrade.

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 3rd July 2010 at 17:11.
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2010, 20:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good plan, @aqualeo2040. The best way to decide is to actually audition speakers in cars. If you have a degree in music, you are likely to have a keen ear too - what matters is what you like, not others say.

Surely dealers will oblige if there are cars around (your location says Liverpool, and that is not a hick town). The other place to ask around is with modifiers - though you are likely to encounter dhoom-chak stuff, at moderate volumes you will get an idea. Are you going to use in India or in UK?

Check out Blau TH series, JBL GTO series, Infinity, Focal, JL Audio, DLS ... there is a long list. Check whether the front mid-bass location is 5.25" or 6.5" first to be sure.

For rear doors, get 5.25", not 4" - substantially fuller sound.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Good plan, @aqualeo2040. The best way to decide is to actually audition speakers in cars. If you have a degree in music, you are likely to have a keen ear too - what matters is what you like, not others say.

Surely dealers will oblige if there are cars around (your location says Liverpool, and that is not a hick town). The other place to ask around is with modifiers - though you are likely to encounter dhoom-chak stuff, at moderate volumes you will get an idea. Are you going to use in India or in UK?

Check out Blau TH series, JBL GTO series, Infinity, Focal, JL Audio, DLS ... there is a long list. Check whether the front mid-bass location is 5.25" or 6.5" first to be sure.

For rear doors, get 5.25", not 4" - substantially fuller sound.
front speakers are of 6.5". put a good pair of components there and the HU will sound much better.Rear speakers are 5.25". you can put a good speaker there. The OE speakers are the worst i have ever seen
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 12:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

You may find information in this thread useful.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2010, 16:02   #5
BHPian

Thanks Deralte, Soccerfan and Anshman.

Yeah, its 6.5 at front. Since I wasnt interested in the rear speakers, i was ok with 4 only. However, 5.25 is good enough.

I will be using it in Bangalore only. Just procuring it from UK.

Now, as mentioned by Deralte, this exactly is my problem. I dont even have a shortlist of speakers. Although I know something about music, I have no idea about the commercially available speakers/amplifiers.
I am not sure where to start.
Moreover, I dont want to get a too good set of speakers and then not be able to use it optimally due to amp limitations.
If I get a ballpark idea of where to start, I can prowl the net to look for some deals.

Thanks a ton again guys
Old 4th July 2010, 16:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

@aqualeo2040, assume JBL GTO/Infinity/Blaupunkt THc / Illusion (not sure if this available in UK) is at the mid-end of the market. Rainbow / DLS / Focal / JL Audio etc. will be higher than that, and most of the brands that you don't / seldom hear on TBHP are lower. This does not at all mean that a higher priced brand / model is definitely better than a lower priced one. That is why one must make some effort to audition them.

Auditioning them on a rack (like in most stores have) gives you some idea about mid- and high-notes sound, but figuring out how good the low-notes are is a bit difficult. That is better done in a car.

Don't worry about not being optimally able to use them due to amp limitations - a good speaker does not sound worse on a moderate amp. Conversely, a bad speaker won't sound better on even the best amps.

There may be some brands which are popular in UK, but may not be in India. Pricing may also differ due to pricing policies adopted by the manufacturer / distributors. All in all, there are no easy answers.

I would recommend that you ask around locally for modifiers, visit them, spend some time listening to their installations with music that you are familiar with. No matter what the brand, you will soon be able to hear the differences, some that you like, some that you hate, like weak mid-range or too bright highs. Once you do that, you will be able to zero in on good deals online for the brand/model that you like. Again, don't worry that what you really like is 'too good' for you - a good online deal will settle that.
Old 4th July 2010, 17:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

I got the stock front speakers in my Punto to JBL GT5 components, they do not sound good, the HU is not powerful enough to power the speakers. The same components sounded very nice powered by Pioneer HU in my previous Swift.
Old 4th July 2010, 21:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I got the stock front speakers in my Punto to JBL GT5 components, they do not sound good, the HU is not powerful enough to power the speakers. The same components sounded very nice powered by Pioneer HU in my previous Swift.
Yes Anshuman. Thats why we would definitely need the amp.

I already have a JBL GTO setup in my better half's car (Spark) and I like it. However,I find the GTOs a bit bassy and not very precise.

Is there any site which could comprehensively compare these speakers?
I am thinking more on the lines of Focal and low end Rainbow.
Old 4th July 2010, 22:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

@Aqualeo: Any idea about the pricing of 2 channel PnP Amplifier?
Old 4th July 2010, 23:05   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@Aqualeo: Any idea about the pricing of 2 channel PnP Amplifier?
I'm looking to buy it as well, The only site in UK where it costs around 180 GBP
Blaupunkt THA 475 amplifier. It costs over 350 USD in Amazon.com.
teky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 14:05   #11
BHPian

Anshuman,Teky..
I got my amp through a good friend of mine who works for Bosch. He got it for me from Germany.
So, he got the cheaper European rates + employee discount.
He is yet to reveal the price tag to me. So, no idea about the price. Could be around 14k when I last checked.
(Blau is owned by Bosch).

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 5th July 2010 at 14:06.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:28   #12
BHPian

I can get my hands on one (tha 475 pnp) for about 12k, in Delhi. Its the wiring for this amp which is expensive, about 6.5k . Add to that the OEM HU specific wiring harness, about 2.5k, and you're good to go.
ghost_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 16:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Anshuman,Teky..
I got my amp through a good friend of mine who works for Bosch. He got it for me from Germany.
So, he got the cheaper European rates + employee discount.
He is yet to reveal the price tag to me. So, no idea about the price. Could be around 14k when I last checked.
(Blau is owned by Bosch).
The website works out cheaper I believe - 12.8 K according to today's exchange rate. May be I'll order one to carry along with me, I'm also in search of front component speakers but can't seem to make my mind around. Planning to visit few dealers in my region this week and take a decission.
teky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 19:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
... Its the wiring for this amp which is expensive, about 6.5k . Add to that the OEM HU specific wiring harness, about 2.5k, ...
The prices don't seem right. Where did you get these prices from? Only 1 wiring harness is expected, not 2 as you describe - the harness is car specific.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The prices don't seem right. Where did you get these prices from? Only 1 wiring harness is expected, not 2 as you describe - the harness is car specific.
Here is link of the youtube video which shows in detail the installation of a pnp475 amp.

The small cable is vehicle specific while the bigger cable is the wiring harness extension for the amp.

wrt the pricing, the mrp on the extension wiring harness cable box is Rs.7,500/-

Last edited by ghost_rider : 5th July 2010 at 20:03.
ghost_rider is offline   Reply With Quote