Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 25th July 2010, 16:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! Nice to hear things are better.

OT - are you sure the rings are MDF? Looks like plywood, maybe that's why they've chipped a bit while grinding.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:43   #32
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Congrats! Nice to hear things are better.

OT - are you sure the rings are MDF? Looks like plywood, maybe that's why they've chipped a bit while grinding.

B&T - you got that right, it is marine ply, and it did chip. Once I have all the four baffles done, I plan to use some sealant or filler to make a little more aesthetic.
CJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 15:57   #33
Team-BHP Support

B&T/CJP. Getting that angle using MDF would have been a messy job. When ground MDF makes a big mess. Marine ply is fine. If you want to make sure it does not decmpose over time just give it a couple of coats of polyurathene clear coat.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 10:42   #34
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Time Alignment - Black Magic?

I have abad tendency of bumping up old threads, but this is the closest one to the issue i need help with,
recently i bought a JVC SQ HU (JVC R90BT) with a DSP and TA.
I have a swift and the front speakers are boston acoustics. The mid range driver is in the stock locations on the door, while the tweeters are on the mirror pods.
Look here for tweeter placement http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...er-mounts.html

The question is, how do i time align the unit? I want to align it for the front passengers. I can select the listening position as front. The distances that need to be measured are to the center of the dashboard, if i am not mistaken. Also, should i measure the distance from the mid bass to the centre of the dashboard or the tweeter to the centre of the dashboard. The distances are confusing me a bit. So gurus please help me out.

Another query, my XO points are as follows:
Fronts: hpf 80HZ @18db
Rear: hpf 40HZ @12db
Sub: lpf 80HZ @12db
do you guys suggest any changes?
HimuraKenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 14:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Time Alignment - Black Magic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
... how do i time align the unit? I want to align it for the front passengers. I can select the listening position as front. The distances that need to be measured are to the center of the dashboard, if i am not mistaken. ...
Read the manual first. The distance measurement is at ear level either to the center of the cabin (if set to All), or the driver headrest (if set to Driver position). Take a tape measure and measure the distance.

In Kenwood TA, there is a Car Size selection, which has some default values based on car type (sedan, hatchback, SUV etc.). One can override this if more precise measurements are available.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 16:18   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Read the manual first. The distance measurement is at ear level either to the center of the cabin (if set to All), or the driver headrest (if set to Driver position). Take a tape measure and measure the distance.

In Kenwood TA, there is a Car Size selection, which has some default values based on car type (sedan, hatchback, SUV etc.). One can override this if more precise measurements are available.
yes, but the manual just asks me to measure from the ear position to the speaker, but in a component system, what distance should i measure? mid driver to listening position or tweeter(on axis) located on A pillar to listening position?
HimuraKenshin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 17:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
yes, but the manual just asks me to measure from the ear position to the speaker, but in a component system, what distance should i measure? mid driver to listening position or tweeter(on axis) located on A pillar to listening position?
"Speaker" = Mid-bass, respectively Tweeter, i.e. indicate to the TA distance from (your) ear to the midbass (when setting midbass distance), similarly for tweeter. TA settings knows about components, and has separate settings for midbass and tweeters IF you have set Components for Front in the Settings (otherwise default is for coax or whizzercone or full-range speakers).

Perhaps you are not reading the manual completely?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote