Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd July 2010, 15:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

remove the white cover of lcd connector.
use remote to check lcd if it dosent turn on on restart of computer.
add a switch on the switched power line, name it valet mode or something. you will need this when car is under maintenance or else they will damage the cpu
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
As long as you mount it high up (as much behind the glove box as possible), it should be fine. See if you can get perforated metal sheet that you can wrap around 3 sides of your assembly (4th being the connector side). Actually glove-box is an ideal location.
Sounds good. But, I had something else running in my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Which VGA connector was causing the problem, the LCD end or the PC end?
The PC end

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
remove the white cover of lcd connector.
use remote to check lcd if it dosent turn on on restart of computer.
add a switch on the switched power line, name it valet mode or something. you will need this when car is under maintenance or else they will damage the cpu
LCD did turn on when the computer was powered up. It's just that it was not getting the VGA signal.
I have the valet switch idea in mind. Trying to procure a switch that can be fitted in one of the dummy areas provided
StreetAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

I thought you had trouble with vga at lcd end.
Good brand vga cables come with smaller size connector than cheaper ones, still it is the longest one projecting out. see if you can source right angled adapters.
Another option is to remove the cover/connector and solder the wires to open connector.
Amazon.com: L-com Low Profile Right Angle Adapter - VGA adapter - HD-15 (M) - HD-15 (F)…
Attached Images

gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
see if you can source right angled adapters.
I'll look into that

Quote:
Another option is to remove the cover/connector and solder the wires to open connector.
I don't think that would be possible. Reason is that the USB interface for the touchscreen comes out of the VGA adapter itself. I'm pretty positive I'll end up screwing something.

In the mean time, I'm really looking for something like the SPST switch mentioned here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1265446-post27.html. Any idea where this can be procured from ?

Last edited by StreetAddict : 23rd July 2010 at 20:02.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAddict View Post
But, is the footwell a good place for the rig? I don't think so!
Well, took some time out from work & started thinking about it. The idea & it's implementation yielded following results :

Tested this setup for a few days. Four OS crashes in 7 days made sure that this setup won't last long.

Last edited by StreetAddict : 27th July 2010 at 23:02.
Old 27th July 2010, 23:25   #21
BHPian

The final OS crash was on a weekend. The song being played just gets stuck. This is quite irritating. What the heck! Went down to the same acrylic waali shop, got some transparent sheets cut out, brought them home, fixed them together to form a cuboid.

Following is how the current setup looks like. Still in the footwell

Old 12th November 2010, 00:29   #22
BHPian

It has been quite sometime since I updated this thread. Was not able to dedicate enough time due to work related commitments.

The CarPC made it's way back into the 2-din space. Thanks to the right-angled VGA adapter suggested by Gigy.

Over 4 months & it seems to be running fine. There's a small issue but I'll post it into another section.
Old 12th November 2010, 01:50   #23
BHPian

Forgot to add. The setup uses a Creative X-FI USB sound card. I added it thinking it would increase the signal to the amps but it actually made a very little difference.

SQ has definitely improved though