Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 12:25   #1
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 30 Times
Exclamation ICE Technical Advice !!

I have partially upgraded my Santro's ICE few months back. Before getting into the topic, I would give a list of upgrade which I have done so far :

1. Sony Xplod CDX-GT680UI
2. Pioneer 6x9 Rear Speakers - 300W
3. JBL 10" Sub Woofer - 1100W
4. Alpine 4 Channel Amplifier

Apart from these, I already had 2 basic Sony speakers (150W) in front and a pair of pioneer tweeter (simple). Now, the rear speakers and the sub is powered by the amplifier and the front speakers and the tweeters are powered by the HU. My problem is that the sound from the Rear Speakers and the Sub is good as they are directly powered by the Amp but the Front Speakers and Tweeter is almost non-existent.

Now I am planning to upgrade the front speakers and tweeters to a more powerful one. Please give suggestions for the following :

1. What speakers should I go for.
2. Should I get another 4 channel amplifier so that the front speakers and the tweeters can be powered.
3. My installer had told me that the tweeters can't be connected to the amp as they wont last for long because the power provided by the amplifier is too much. In that case, which tweeters are good to be powered by the amplifier?
4. Is Pioneer TS-S20 a good tweeter to be powered by the amp.
5. Approximate cost for these three (Speakers, Amp and Tweeters)

Request all the ICE Gurus to please help with the above questions. Thanks in advance.
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 12:48   #2
BHPian
 
amitwiz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

1. Go for co-axials, drop the tweeters.

2. Nope, power the front and the sub with the 4-channel amp.

3. Tweeters get preety irritating fast as they produce bright sound. Too much for my taste.

NO idea on costs, am no guru.
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 13:07   #3
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
1. Go for co-axials, drop the tweeters.

2. Nope, power the front and the sub with the 4-channel amp.

3. Tweeters get preety irritating fast as they produce bright sound. Too much for my taste.

NO idea on costs, am no guru.
@amitwiz1 : Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have much knowledge about ICE. Can you tell me the basic difference between Coaxials and normal speakers. What is the benefit of dropping tweeter s and going for them ?
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 13:14   #4
BHPian
 
amitwiz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Coaxials speakers consists of a midrange speaker (normal ones) combined with a tweeter over the same cone, on the same axis. Twweters produce high-range frequencies, whereas midrange gives us, well, .. midrange frequencies. Recommended for better sound reproduction.


Read these for more info:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...k-25k-30k.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...rminology.html

Last edited by amitwiz1 : 20th July 2010 at 13:15. Reason: edited
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 14:28   #5
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

So as per my understanding, I should go for a pair of Coaxial Speakers and a 2 channel amp to power them. Or should I get a mono-amp for the sub and use my existing 4 channel amp to power the Rear 6X9 and the front Coaxials ?
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 14:47   #6
BHPian
 
amitwiz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 186
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

My advice would be to connect the 6x9's to the HU and power the co-ax's and the sub with the amp. This holds if you'll be the one driving.

Try listening to existing setups to get a general idea.
amitwiz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 18:41   #7
BHPian
 
montyguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 295
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

u already have a 4-channel amp. if u like sound fr rear, u can use this amp to power a set of components in front (components include a mid-base and a tweeter) and the rear co-ax. then u can add a mono amp for yr sub.

alternatively, u can use the 4 channel to power front comps and sub, run the rear speakers thru the head unit or simply remove them.

the amplified front comps and a sub in rear are great if u do not use the back seat often.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 19:08   #8
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post

1. Sony Xplod CDX-GT680UI
2. Pioneer 6x9 Rear Speakers - 300W
3. JBL 10" Sub Woofer - 1100W
4. Alpine 4 Channel Amplifier
A slight mistake in the above configuration. The rear speakers are Pioneer 6X9 3-Way Coaxials - 400W


Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post
My advice would be to connect the 6x9's to the HU and power the co-ax's and the sub with the amp. This holds if you'll be the one driving.

Try listening to existing setups to get a general idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
u already have a 4-channel amp. if u like sound fr rear, u can use this amp to power a set of components in front (components include a mid-base and a tweeter) and the rear co-ax. then u can add a mono amp for yr sub.

alternatively, u can use the 4 channel to power front comps and sub, run the rear speakers thru the head unit or simply remove them.

the amplified front comps and a sub in rear are great if u do not use the back seat often.
I was thinking of getting a 2-channel amp and a pair of Sony XS-GT16412 4-Way Coaxials :

16cm GTX Series Full Range 4-Way Coaxial Speaker.

* Full Range 4-Way Coaxial Speaker
* 300W Peak Power
* 75W Rated Power
* Rubber coated cloth surround Edge
* H.O.P. + aramid fiber cone woofer for rich and deep bass
* Stroke Stabilizer Surround

Name:  Sony.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  17.9 KB

The 2-channel amp will power the Sub, existing 4-channel amp will power the rear and front Coaxials. Remove the old front speakers and tweeters. How does it sound ??
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 20:56   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

1. For putting 16cm speakers in the front door, you will have to cut metal in a Santro. Are your current "2 basic Sony speakers" mounted in the dash near your knees, or in the door?
2. If you already have 16cm speakers in the front door, first get a good pair of components - JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Hertz, Illusion etc.
3. If you don't, and you have 4" (10cm) and don't want to cut metal in the door, get either 4" Illusion, Blaupunkt or Hertz components
4. You really don't need to buy another amp - your 4 channel is good enough. Run the front components with 1 pair of channels, bridge the other 2 and run the sub from it. The rear ovals can be driven from the HU
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:34   #10
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. For putting 16cm speakers in the front door, you will have to cut metal in a Santro. Are your current "2 basic Sony speakers" mounted in the dash near your knees, or in the door?
2. If you already have 16cm speakers in the front door, first get a good pair of components - JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Hertz, Illusion etc.
3. If you don't, and you have 4" (10cm) and don't want to cut metal in the door, get either 4" Illusion, Blaupunkt or Hertz components
4. You really don't need to buy another amp - your 4 channel is good enough. Run the front components with 1 pair of channels, bridge the other 2 and run the sub from it. The rear ovals can be driven from the HU

Thanks @DerAlte for the suggestion. Yes I have my Sony speakers mounted in the dash near knees. Let me see how to go about cutting the metal.
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 22:56   #11
BHPian
 
UniqueMods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. For putting 16cm speakers in the front door, you will have to cut metal in a Santro. Are your current "2 basic Sony speakers" mounted in the dash near your knees, or in the door?
Cutting of the metal is not necessary, Wider rings will do the job. Pic is of 6.5 in my Santro done by FM drive a yr back.

Sorry for the bad pic quality. mobile cam.

UM
Attached Thumbnails
ICE Technical Advice !!-23052009170.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by UniqueMods : 20th July 2010 at 22:59.
UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 23:23   #12
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Cutting of the metal is not necessary, Wider rings will do the job. Pic is of 6.5’ in my Santro done by FM drive a yr back.

Sorry for the bad pic quality. mobile cam.

UM

Thanks @UniqueMods for the pic. I was in fact searching the forum to find out any such installation. Can you please give a bit more info about your ICE setup. I have checked in your garage that you have coax at the rear and 500W speakers at the front with a 4 channel amp. Can you brief about the connections, I mean the how the speakers are powered, what the amp is powering and what the HU, etc. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Repsol : 20th July 2010 at 23:27.
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 23:47   #13
BHPian
 
UniqueMods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Thanks @UniqueMods for the pic. I was in fact searching the forum to find out any such installation. Can you please give a bit more info about your ICE setup. I have checked in your garage that you have coax at the rear and 500W speakers at the front with a 4 channel amp. Can you brief about the connections, I mean the how the speakers are powered, what the amp is powering and what the HU, etc. Thanks in advance.
Hu Kenwood 6539u - usb, auux , 3rca... very nice & decent sq hu
Front speakers are Earthquake Vtek-62 getting only 60 rms from the amp's front channel.
Rear speakers are MTX XT693 2Way 6"x9" getting 45 rms from the HU.
Sub-woofer is a JBL GT5 S12 1200w getting 150 rms from the amp rear channal bridged.
amp as a JBL GT5 A604 640w 4 Channel. need a upgrade. ( something pumping 120 rms to front speakers and 250 rms to the sib.)

Getting a good source = HU with SQ is very important. two pairs of RCA minimum.
And like many have aready said, conect the HU to the rear speakers, and power the front speakers and sub by the amp. it sounds better.

amp fitting pic attached . jbl a604, its behind the sub, bolted to the side of the boot. nice tight & tide fit.

UM
Attached Images
  
UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 23:55   #14
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 198
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Hu Kenwood 6539u - usb, auux , 3rca... very nice & decent sq hu
Front speakers are Earthquake Vtek-62 getting only 60 rms from the amp's front channel.
Rear speakers are MTX XT693 2Way 6"x9" getting 45 rms from the HU.
Sub-woofer is a JBL GT5 S12 1200w getting 150 rms from the amp rear channal bridged.
amp as a JBL GT5 A604 640w 4 Channel. need a upgrade. ( something pumping 120 rms to front speakers and 250 rms to the sib.)

Getting a good source = HU with SQ is very important. two pairs of RCA minimum.
And like many have aready said, conect the HU to the rear speakers, and power the front speakers and sub by the amp. it sounds better.

amp fitting pic attached . jbl a604, its behind the sub, bolted to the side of the boot. nice tight & tide fit.

UM
Thanks. Let me talk to my installer about changing the setup. Right now my amp is placed under the front passenger seat. I want to move to the boot.
Repsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 00:13   #15
BHPian
 
UniqueMods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 308
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Leave the amp below the passenger seat. It doesn’t make a difference.

IMO
regarding the Sony XS-GT16412 4-Way Coaxials -
Don’t buy pioneer and sony speakers for the front stage (or any stage).
Try some other brands - jbl. hetrz, bull, etc or if your budget permits - illusion, focal, dls.

Your front stage is most important as most of the sound coming to you is from the front stage.

If your putting 6.5" in the front doors, then put 2way / 3way components (in 3 way, the midrange can fit in the 4" stock location of the santro dash), forget 2way and 3way co-ax.

I am also contemplating changing my 2 way EQ co-ax to 3 way components.

All the best.

And remember - in the ICE sections, budget always gets overshot. Consider this your warning, don't blame me for my suggestions later.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 21st July 2010 at 00:18.
UniqueMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Technical Advice for Upkeep, Maintenance and Repair of Vintages and Classics anjan_c2007 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 5 5th February 2015 16:59
Need technical advice regading Amp selection for ANHC? bhavit46 In-Car Entertainment 15 23rd September 2010 13:13
ICE ICE Baby!!!!!!!!(Swift ICE) scarlet.fever In-Car Entertainment 21 23rd September 2009 20:25
technical aspects in technical driving ram_hyundai Technical Stuff 1 2nd February 2008 21:12
Basic ICE technical information for newbies. antardaksh In-Car Entertainment 3 30th May 2006 06:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks