Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 19:47   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Yes, I was referring to Frank's HU. Didn't know it was already taken.

Why not build a Car PC? It fits perfectly in the 15-20 K budget and offers more than any HU will. You should be able to find everything you need to build one in New Delhi.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 20:01   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by makanaka View Post
ok friends so it is either p80rsII or the 8016 , will try and listen to both and will buy whichever i feel sounds better, abhibh one last question , have u heard the kenwood hu with the rainbow speakers, any input? and if i find both of them available should i go for kenwood because it offers front usb slot and i would prefer to have a usb pendrive rather than a cd , in such a case would i loose on the sound quality of a p80 or are they equivalent?
Audition both and see which one suits better for your listening taste.

It might come to you as a surprise but i have tried almost all the Kenwood HU's from a bare basic 5039 to SQ monster 8533. And yes i have tried 7016 (friends HU) for almost a week in my car. As you are going to audition both i leave it to you to decide which one is better.

Kenwood 8016 offers rear USB input instead of front one. If the source file (MP3 Song) is same both in CD and Pen drive there wont be any issue with sound quality. Even if we say both P80 and 8016 have similar sound below is a small comparison list.

8016 over P80:
- Inbuilt Bluetooth
- Inbuilt USB support
- Inbuilt iPod Support

P80 over 8016:
- Active capability

Both HU's have TA, nice display & looks and a lot of tuning options.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 21:33   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default

Folks,

Is there a HU 101 crash course (read TBHP post) that explains wher the HU makers stand with respect to price, features and amp quality?

Today according to me there is Blaupunkt, Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood and Panasonic. (I dont know about others). All these guys do provide basic features like IPOD conenction/ USB/ Aux/ IPHONE/ BT etc etc.

So how does one decide in looking for his HU.

Obiviously the next question is budget. So there my point would be :

1. If there is a differentiating feature, available one should be willing to pay.
2. The basic USB/AUX HUs start from 6K onwards. So, if one pays 15K for the same feature, but for a significantly better sound quality, is it worth it?
3. Those are the kind of questions that come to me.


Please Note: I am not looking for buy one, but wanted to understand.


Sorry if I have confused you all.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2010, 13:51   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dehra Dun
Posts: 153
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

hey guys,
thanks for putting things in perspective for me, il let my ears be the judge from hereon, crackedhead i dont have the time , patience or will to build myself a pc or buy one, noway i am going that way, ampere i didnt got your first query, as far as second goes , yes it is totally worth it, to each his own, people might manage to commute in a much cheaper car but they buy the laura's or the bmw's etc etc because first they can and second they think that its worth it, and thats what matters, indulgence or hobbies cannot be justified in terms of logic, people buy foreign sport bikes when they can very well manage with a 100cc indian bike why? we dont even have roads or after sales service and they are expensive like anything but the thing is that beauty lies in the eyes of beholder, if u will ask the owner he will tell u that whenever he rides his possession he feels that its totally worth it! i hope i am making myself clear without being offensive, i have seen many a times here in various posts people commenting about spending so much time, money or energy on ice but then they dont get it, ask someone like frank or lbm or numerous people inhere how they feel when they hear a new upgraded hu for the first time in their car or how did they felt when they upgraded their woofer, their enthusiasm at those juncture seems overwhelming , so its totally worth it for them, anyway we all indulge in stuff, for some its food, for some wine, for some cars even u might have some indulgence, anyway i hope i could convey the idea and yeah thanks all of the bhpians for helping me out again. ciao
makanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 19:50   #20
BHPian
 
bhatmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 53
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

I'm also looking for a new HU for my Zen and got a refurbished P80 at 100 USD. Is it a good deal, should I go for the refurbished product?

I'm aiming over for P80 simply because of the higher driving power ( 27 Watts RMS , I guess) which I couldn't find in any of the other HU.

But, my question is , do we actually need equalizer , x-bass etc in HU at all? All we hear is in the 'direct' mode to get the unaltered sound from the CD, isn't it? This is basic and primary rule for any correct audio listening, so far my little knowledge goes, isn't it.

Is there any good HU in the market which offer decent amplification and power supply without any added features? I don't need USB, bluetooth, Aux, any fancy display ( Only power on and track number should be alright), equalizer option etc etc. It should play CD ( Mayyyy be Mp3 also, but not mandatory) and can have a FM ( though optional). But all it matters is the sound quality and power supply.

Gurus, which HU is recommended here?
bhatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:09   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
I'm also looking for a new HU for my Zen and got a refurbished P80 at 100 USD. Is it a good deal, should I go for the refurbished product?

I'm aiming over for P80 simply because of the higher driving power ( 27 Watts RMS , I guess) which I couldn't find in any of the other HU.

But, my question is , do we actually need equalizer , x-bass etc in HU at all? All we hear is in the 'direct' mode to get the unaltered sound from the CD, isn't it? This is basic and primary rule for any correct audio listening, so far my little knowledge goes, isn't it.

Is there any good HU in the market which offer decent amplification and power supply without any added features? I don't need USB, bluetooth, Aux, any fancy display ( Only power on and track number should be alright), equalizer option etc etc. It should play CD ( Mayyyy be Mp3 also, but not mandatory) and can have a FM ( though optional). But all it matters is the sound quality and power supply.

Gurus, which HU is recommended here?
Those 27W RMS wont matter if you are going to use an amplifier.Clarion HXD2 might be there with some audiophiles. Go for P80 don't use the added features.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 22:35   #22
BHPian
 
bhatmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 53
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Those 27W RMS wont matter if you are going to use an amplifier.Clarion HXD2 might be there with some audiophiles. Go for P80 don't use the added features.
Actually I was looking for a solution without an Amp preferably. Problem with the amp is, sometimes my driver drives the car and he has a habit of listening to songs during the idle hours ( that is acceptable as sometimes he used to spend long hours in my office). This already caused the battery to ran down before as current consumption by the amplifier is much more than normal HU and hence it is no recommended to run with the engine switched off.

As I'll not listen in a loud volume to attract others attention, I was thinking if any HU can suffice with the built in power and high on SQ.

However, looking at the websites, I could not find clarion HDX2. Is it still available?
bhatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 18:12   #23
BHPian
 
bhatmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 53
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Has anybody experienced with Nakamichi CD-300, is it good enough to drive independently or always needs an amplifier? Also, howz the sound quality of it, close to audiophile?
bhatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 10:27   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
Has anybody experienced with Nakamichi CD-300, is it good enough to drive independently or always needs an amplifier? Also, howz the sound quality of it, close to audiophile?
The CD300 is capable of driving efficient car audio speakers. it puts out about 8W rms from the speaker terminals and has one set of preouts that can be used for a subwoofer.

here is more information on it
CD-300
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 14:32   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Bhat, Why are you against using an amplifier?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 15:07   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
Problem with the amp is, sometimes my driver drives the car and he has a habit of listening to songs during the idle hours ( that is acceptable as sometimes he used to spend long hours in my office). This already caused the battery to ran down before as current consumption by the amplifier is much more than normal HU and hence it is no recommended to run with the engine switched off.

As I'll not listen in a loud volume to attract others attention, I was thinking if any HU can suffice with the built in power and high on SQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Bhat, Why are you against using an amplifier?
The answer is in BOLD!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 15:23   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhatmaster View Post
Actually I was looking for a solution without an Amp preferably. Problem with the amp is, sometimes my driver drives the car and he has a habit of listening to songs during the idle hours ( that is acceptable as sometimes he used to spend long hours in my office). This already caused the battery to ran down before as current consumption by the amplifier is much more than normal HU and hence it is no recommended to run with the engine switched off.
Don't you think you are solving the wrong problem! Gift your driver a radio or a phone with a radio or a music player and tell him to use that instead of draining the car's battery.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 16:04   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
The answer is in BOLD!
An alternate solution is a speaker turnover switch that allows the speakers to be connected to either the amp or the HU. My nephew has this in his car.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 16:27   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

@ Navin - good idea. But where does one find a suitable switch?

Would one need two "single pole changeover" type switches per speaker (one each for +ve and -ve) or is there a simpler way?

Alternatively, one could have the rear speakers running off the HU and the front ones of an external amp. A simple switch on the remote turn on lead would be enough to disable the external amp.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 12th January 2011 at 16:30.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 16:30   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,505
Thanked: 3,882 Times
Default Re: Looking for a new headunit in 15-20k Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
@ Navin - good idea. But where does one find a suitable switch?
it is available in most electronic shops that cater to audio components. in my nephew's case I sent him to B&T and B&T did the rest.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ICE for IKON..Budget 20k MAX.. Ford_madhan In-Car Entertainment 42 3rd August 2009 09:47
Help needed for ICE in swift- Budget 20K raptor_79 In-Car Entertainment 36 26th August 2008 18:21
ICE-Swift Chandiagrh(Budget-20k)No idea how to go about it!!! Gill In-Car Entertainment 17 14th August 2007 10:50
Need an ICE advice for Swift -- Budget: 15-20K harryc In-Car Entertainment 16 29th May 2007 15:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks