Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 7th August 2010, 18:02   #1
BHPian

Default Fitting a Double-Din HU in a Safari with 5.1 Processor

After a lot of sleepless nights on T-BHP in the ICE section and looking around in every possible audio shop, my journey of ICE'ing is almost to an end, for now

I wanted some Punch. Not that gloomy bass, that you hear from every SUV even when you're 100 mts away. I wanted the music in my car to stay inside but give me goosebumps every time i was about to max the headunit. For that kind of music and according to service, support and availability, Pioneer was the king.

I have been a Pioneer fan for as long as I can remember. My Chevy Optra, Ikon and even the '99 Indica have a Pioneer head unit. The easy to use interface of the head units and also the value for money package and the 2yrs warranty is what always kept me hooked to the Pioneer range in India. Another reason is the non-availability of different brands in Jaipur. You can either go for Pioneer or Sony or JVC. Even in components, there are not much options available here.

I started out with Audio with the Pioneer DEH-6050UB and I have to say that this is the headunit that gets 10/10 for value, sound and usability. The sound with the Velocity VC542 components and the XplodXS-GTX120LT was enough.
But then came the quest for Video in the car at which point I had 2 x RD Headrest screens installed with B/W, but was still skeptical about the headunit.

Finally, I went from Pioneer to JVC! and oh did I regret it!
I installed a JVC AVX44 with bill and warranty as the safari has a single din socket only for Head-units. But the interface is so slow and so irritating, I had to take it out the second day.

Then i went back to good old Pioneer and installed a DVH-4190UB and went ahead and installed a Pioneer Multi-Channel Processor(DEQ-P7650) with a Pioneer Center Stage Speaker(TS-CX7) and got a proper 5.1 package.
The only drawback with the DVH-4190UB was that the screen on the headunit is so small and it does not display any song or album name. I went ahead and put a front LH sunvisor Screen also to overcome that proplem. But, i still couldn't take my eyes off the road to look on the left to check the song name. It just had to go.

I had once heard about someone putting a Double-Din headunit on a Safari Console and I was very much interested to get that done. Again, back to Tbhp and every forum that had ever used the word Safari to see if anyone had ever done this. But, I couldn't find anything. Finally took the plunge one day. Opened up the Center Console and started to figue out a way to make it work. And finally, it happened. I installed an AVH-P3250DVD. I had to cut out the Cigarette Lighter Socket and the Ash-tray to Make space for the Double Din and do it neatly as I didn't know anyone here who could do some clean fiberglass work if I screwed it up. But thankfully, it was completely clean and there were no problems throughout the install . The gear lever comes in the way a bit, but I just need to look at the song and never use it for videos, so it doesn't really matter much. I'm happy that I dont have to compromise on any front now.

Complete list of ICE add-ons to the car :
1 x Pioneer AVH-P3250DVD
2 x GTA 270 Amps - 2 Channel each and each powering one components set.
1 x Xplod XM-GTR3301D - Mono-Amp
3 x JBL wiring kits
2 x RD 7" TFT Headrest Screens
1 x Pioneer DEQ-P7650 - Multi Channel Processor
1 x Pioneer TS-CX7 - Center Speaker
1 x XplodXS-GTX120LT - Sony Subwoofer tube type ( Didn't have a better option)
1 x Reverse Camera - Attached to the headunit

Everything above is with B/W.

I haven't clicked any nice pics, but some of them are here :
Attached Thumbnails
Fitting a Double-Din HU in a Safari with 5.1 Processor-img_0907.jpg  

Fitting a Double-Din HU in a Safari with 5.1 Processor-img_0909.jpg  

Fitting a Double-Din HU in a Safari with 5.1 Processor-img_0910.jpg  

Fitting a Double-Din HU in a Safari with 5.1 Processor-img_0911.jpg  

Fitting a Double-Din HU in a Safari with 5.1 Processor-img_0913.jpg  

Attached Images

tusharsethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 10:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

i see a noise filter attached to your RCA wires .. looks like you facing alternator noise issues ...

Replace them with high quality RCA to get rid of alternator sound , also Noise filters kills Sound quality !!!
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 13:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Chiragh it is not the RCA wala noise filter It is a noise filter in the power line of the amp. It is just a choke type of filter (inductor to filter out AC) but they do not work so good. This one will not directly affect the SQ as it is in the power line.

But I do agree by changing the RCA to better quality you will feel the difference. And clean up the wire a bit !!!!
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 13:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Chiragh it is not the RCA wala noise filter It is a noise filter in the power line of the amp. It is just a choke type of filter (inductor to filter out AC) but they do not work so good. This one will not directly affect the SQ as it is in the power line.

But I do agree by changing the RCA to better quality you will feel the difference. And clean up the wire a bit !!!!
The RCA cables I used are from the JBL kit only. The white RCA you saw is for the rear dual headrest screen. The blue one's are for the amps.

And the noise filter is used in one of the 2 channel amps as there's a problem with the amp only. Anyways, it doesnt make a difference. I was planning to remove it.
tusharsethi is offline   Reply With Quote