Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 17:42   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 951
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Gilead, thanks for giving a demo yday. While I was earlier a little skeptical about all these ICE stuff... I mean how much better sound quality one can get considering the amt of money involved.... But the whole experience at powerzone and your install has changed my perpective towards quality audio system. Was completely dumbfounded with the setup. Particularly liked the way the sound stage was setup. The sweet deep bass emanating from the middle of the dash was awesome.

Am sure kiku007 will also be having something to say on this.

I am addicted.. The stock system is now sounding crappy to me. Already am busy compiling my favs on CDs to kickoff the auditioning process.

Kudos to the installer for doing a neat job. He already has got a cstr in the pipeline.

Btw, you are getting quite a few suggestions on damping. What's your plan on this? I did not feel any unwanted vibration or alien sounds... Also I remember sound was barely audible outside with all doors closed.

Last edited by sanjayc : 15th August 2010 at 17:45.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 21:08   #77
BHPian
 
Chetanya Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta/Mumbai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

That is some real fine stuff. How are the JL audio speakers treating you? Damn I need an ice upgrade.

I have a JBL GTO 937 + GTO 527 powered by a 800w JBL 4 way amp and anniversary edition JBL 1200w boom box. Dont even ask about the HU, have a old pioneer 50w MP3.
Chetanya Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 23:46   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Got a chance to audition this setup today.

The imaging is spot on. Kudos, as even high end setup, sometimes lack this quality.

JL's are superb in their response and reproduction. I especially like your tweeters, not too sharp, not too dull Just perfect - Classy.

HU - i have one and i know what an awesome head it is.

Sub - To be frank, i was expecting it to hit deep and low. But it was a tad shallow to my taste (Probly the Fiesta's build is too robust). I think its because you are underpowering it. But guess, you like it this way.

Excellent setup, Wishing you more musical miles with your beauty
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 01:08   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Gilead, thanks for giving a demo yday. While I was earlier a little skeptical about all these ICE stuff... I mean how much better sound quality one can get considering the amt of money involved.... But the whole experience at powerzone and your install has changed my perpective towards quality audio system. Was completely dumbfounded with the setup. Particularly liked the way the sound stage was setup. The sweet deep bass emanating from the middle of the dash was awesome.

Am sure kiku007 will also be having something to say on this.

I am addicted.. The stock system is now sounding crappy to me. Already am busy compiling my favs on CDs to kickoff the auditioning process.

Kudos to the installer for doing a neat job. He already has got a cstr in the pipeline.

Btw, you are getting quite a few suggestions on damping. What's your plan on this? I did not feel any unwanted vibration or alien sounds... Also I remember sound was barely audible outside with all doors closed.
Thank you Sanjay. I look forward to hearing your upgraded ICE as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetanya Sharma View Post
That is some real fine stuff. How are the JL audio speakers treating you? Damn I need an ice upgrade.

I have a JBL GTO 937 + GTO 527 powered by a 800w JBL 4 way amp and anniversary edition JBL 1200w boom box. Dont even ask about the HU, have a old pioneer 50w MP3.
JL is damn good. Not too many of them on this forum. You should change your HU first before you do anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Got a chance to audition this setup today.

The imaging is spot on. Kudos, as even high end setup, sometimes lack this quality.

JL's are superb in their response and reproduction. I especially like your tweeters, not too sharp, not too dull Just perfect - Classy.

HU - i have one and i know what an awesome head it is.

Sub - To be frank, i was expecting it to hit deep and low. But it was a tad shallow to my taste (Probly the Fiesta's build is too robust). I think its because you are underpowering it. But guess, you like it this way.

Excellent setup, Wishing you more musical miles with your beauty
Pravin, thanks for the kind words. The sub got MUCH deeper and louder on reversing the polarity from the HU. I never realized such a setting existed. Thanks to Nitrous for the tip. Any idea what makes the sub go deeper and lower when polarity is reversed?

And I think it does need a bit of damping on the front doors. Not because of any rattling or distortion, but certain mid bass frequencies seemed to be missing or a little muted when we did a song to song comparison with Nitrous' ICE.

I liked your WIP ICE. The Morel mid bass is too good. Hope to see your completed set up shortly. Good luck buying a car that will go well with your ICE.

PS: You left a lil too early. A beauty joined us a few minutes after you left. It was causing a traffic jam at 11 PM on RK Salai due to the number of vehicles stopping in the middle of the road to gape at it. Now I know the true meaning of a head turner.

Last edited by Gilead : 16th August 2010 at 01:19.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 08:23   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
PS: You left a lil too early. A beauty joined us a few minutes after you left. It was causing a traffic jam at 11 PM on RK Salai due to the number of vehicles stopping in the middle of the road to gape at it. Now I know the true meaning of a head turner.
Beauty ?? Was it something we were discussing just before my start

or you meant yet another hot set of wheels
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 10:22   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Beauty ?? Was it something we were discussing just before my start

or you meant yet another hot set of wheels
No, it was the same one. What a sight in white and black and LEDs.

So why does the sub get deeper and punchier when reversed? Should that not be the default setting then rather than normal?

Last edited by Gilead : 16th August 2010 at 10:23.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 17:05   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Vijay, it was a pleasure to meet you guys and have an experience of your ICE. We really liked it, I am too small to comment about the quality and performance, but overall it was very pleasing to my ears, perfect to my liking. I would not want to do anything more to your present set up, unless your purpose is to make the people around feel the power !

Its natural to 'show-off' (after spending a huge buck) by lowering the glass and raising the volume bar throughout the drives. Please dont fall into that category, what you have is excellent. I would come closer if I change my stock HU. I didnt feel the need of damping after listening.

Last edited by shajufx : 17th August 2010 at 17:07.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 20:55   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Shaju, it was a pleasure meeting you, Unni and your friends. You should give me some photography tips the next time we meet.

My windows are never lowered and I am not an SPL guy, so I think I am good. What I possibly need is more power on the inside! GAAAA, I hate Mi10. I am currently looking at a list of monos that he has PM-ed me. And learning what bi-amping means.

Last edited by Gilead : 17th August 2010 at 21:00.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 22:37   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I have a strange feeling that, this is only the beginning and more upgrades will haunt you
Man, you're spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Knowing Gilead, I doubt it.
Infact, this thread is a result of my brainwashing.

Mono + Damping = Estimated Total Damage ~20K

Nitrous, am i carrying forward your good work ??
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 07:25   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
arjunrudra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 1,515
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Oh wow Gilead. This is simply Brilliant. Cant wait to listen to it in the next meet.
Good Job there Mate.
The Ice Bug has just bit you.
Like others I think there is more to come from you.

Last edited by arjunrudra : 18th August 2010 at 07:26.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 10:53   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Oh wow Gilead. This is simply Brilliant. Cant wait to listen to it in the next meet.
Good Job there Mate.
The Ice Bug has just bit you.
Like others I think there is more to come from you.
Arjun, welcome back dude. Guys were telling me you were under 'house arrest'. Hope things are better now. lol Actually I was pushed 'over the edge' after hearing your Swift and the 948s running off the amp, so I guess I have to thank you as well.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:06   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Damping

My car is going for damping on the front doors tomorrow. This is the first time I am doing damping and I was surprised by the weight of 30 sq ft of Noisekill. Apparently its 8 kgs!!

Can the car's doors handle this kind of weight? And what kind of an impact will it have on acceleration?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:14   #88
BHPian
 
donarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Gilead, what brand amp wiring kit, RCA's and speaker wires did Powerzone use for the install ?

30sq.ft of noise kill for both front doors & boot or just for the front doors ?

Last edited by donarun : 9th September 2010 at 10:16.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:20   #89
SMK
BHPian
 
SMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bendakaalooru
Posts: 121
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Congratulations on a great set of ICE! Actually i am thinking of installing a HU on my fiesta, since the stock 6 CD changer has issues with the CDs stuck inside and does not have features of USB/AUX plugins. Also, yesterday when i got it checked at the Metro Ford, they suggested taking it off and sending it to Chennai for repair since the car is still under warranty.
I dont want to drive the car without the music for 15 days. My question is, the stock player is integrated well on the dash and i do not want to get a hole there with new HU. Can you suggest any player which fits in that space well and does not look odd?
Budget is not a constraint and i am also thinking of getting the player with the wide screen.
Your help would be much appreciated!
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 10:42   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Gilead, what brand amp wiring kit, RCA's and speaker wires did Powerzone use for the install ?

30sq.ft of noise kill for both front doors & boot or just for the front doors ?
Cadence 4 gauge amp wiring and 2 Kicker RCA/Speaker kits

And 30 sq ft just for the front doors. I will probably need another 30 sq ft for the boot if I install a mono later. Not needed as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Budget is not a constraint and i am also thinking of getting the player with the wide screen.
Your help would be much appreciated!
Thank you. Get rid of your OE HU asap. And since you said budget is not a constraint, buy this one. It will be a perfect.

DDX8036BT | Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

Costs 56K with B&W. I know another BHP-ian who is planning to pick it up for his Fiesta. It's capable of Dolby and DTS 5.1.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going Fida Again!!! Fiesta Petrol 1.6 SXi (Moondust Silver) Purchased. infallible79 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 66 25th September 2010 08:17
Hyundai at it again - AD comparing Fiesta TDCi and Accent CRDi shan_jp The Indian Car Scene 22 28th October 2009 14:54
Please help me decide: Fiesta S or Fiesta ZXi? EDIT: Booked Fiesta S! Pics on pg5. frankmehta Sedans 108 18th August 2009 13:43
Battery goin dead... again and again... COUGAR 4x4 Vehicles 21 1st August 2009 18:27
Here we go again - Toyota India at it again. rahul_intlad The Indian Car Scene 33 2nd October 2006 20:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks