Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 19:29   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Ok so your above post says to go for it. However I have one question, since you mentioned to run the Infinity 120.9 in 2 Ohms for best results, what difference would it make since it is rated at 350W RMS at 4 Ohms & 2 Ohms?

Also, since I am planning to use the Audison LRx 5.1k to power this sub, it gives 750W RMS at 4 Ohms and 1150W RMS at 2 Ohms. Now, if I run the sub at 2 Ohms, is there a chance of any damage due to the massive extra power being fed to the sub from the amp at 2 Ohms as compared to that at 4 Ohms?
the sub could easily handle about 700 rms as long as you choose a small enclosure. However the coil design on the sub makes it 3db more efficient in 2 ohm than the 4ohms and keeping voice coil Inductance same and at running it at 2 ohms is like adding another sub or doubling the output. You could use the LRX5.1 however you would need to keep the gains lower and little headroom on amp is always better. with lower gains will help the sound to be little more cleaner with the clean signal going through. If you choose you could have dual sub setup in 1.5 cu.ft stuffed with 20% polyfill of the volume to make it up for the larger volume and using all 1150RMS.

Last edited by Invinsible : 15th September 2010 at 19:34.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 21:00   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
the sub could easily handle about 700 rms as long as you choose a small enclosure. However the coil design on the sub makes it 3db more efficient in 2 ohm than the 4ohms and keeping voice coil Inductance same and at running it at 2 ohms is like adding another sub or doubling the output. You could use the LRX5.1 however you would need to keep the gains lower and little headroom on amp is always better. with lower gains will help the sound to be little more cleaner with the clean signal going through. If you choose you could have dual sub setup in 1.5 cu.ft stuffed with 20% polyfill of the volume to make it up for the larger volume and using all 1150RMS.
Oh super information Invinsible! Thank you for the detailed explanation. I guess I will go for the 'lower gains' option with one sub and will probably look at the 02 sub option in my new car in 3 yrs time which would be a sedan then with a boot and more space as compared to that available in my current Swift.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 22:26   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Hi Epic
Have you tried playing wav files on your P80?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 10:23   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Yep that sub is 10" and REF 1262 is 12" sub you can opt for any of them, i bought from US last year and paid customs as well costed me around 10.5K including shipping.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 10:53   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Hi Epic
Have you tried playing wav files on your P80?
No not yet. AT the moment I am only running it on CDs as I haven't installed the iPod adapter yet. Still getting to know the headunit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Yep that sub is 10" and REF 1262 is 12" sub you can opt for any of them, i bought from US last year and paid customs as well costed me around 10.5K including shipping.
That is not a bad price. Is this sub available here though? How do you compare it to the Infinity 120.9? Are they in the same league?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 10:59   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Kappa series is one step ahead of Ref series, these subs were not available locally not sure about present market, as proper DVC subs are major issue in indian market.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 13:52   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Found my old post over here
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 00:46   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Kappa series is one step ahead of Ref series, these subs were not available locally not sure about present market, as proper DVC subs are major issue in indian market.
The Kappa 120.9 sub is very much available locally with B&W.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 10:05   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

I have put in wrong way actually i was talking about Ref DVC subs they are not available locally.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 10:48   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Guys to tell you the truth, I am in two minds whether to go in for the Infinity 120.9. The only reason I am considering this sub is because of the price and I am not sure if it is a sub suitable for my current set up and for the future upgrade. For the price, I am sure it will be a good buy but will this be the right choice or is there something better for this price? I would want to spend more than 15k max on the sub. Looking for SQ.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 11:00   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Epic, why do you feel the sub will not be suitable for the future upgrade and current setup?
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 11:48   #42
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,509
Thanked: 3,885 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
For the price, I am sure it will be a good buy but will this be the right choice or is there something better for this price? I would want to spend more than 15k max on the sub. Looking for SQ.
Epic, if you are in doubt wait. Why not listen to a few subs in the same price range like the DLS or ID etc.. and then decide.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 12:38   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

I have heard the IDQ's and no doubt its clean but somehow choose the Kappa for it's higher Sensitivity and BL. Also the Le is much lower compared to subs that cost even more than double. For Some reason ID doesn't mention about anything about it.
For future upgrade 2 of (kappa) these will be like Icing on the cake.

Last edited by Invinsible : 17th September 2010 at 12:44.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 14:42   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default

Guys, I am no expert in ICE and I don't know anything about the technicals and hence go according to things like RMS wattage. Hence, may sound silly or unreasonable most of the time so kindly bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Epic, why do you feel the sub will not be suitable for the future upgrade and current setup?
I know I am just going by RMS wattage here which is probably not the only criteria while choosing ICE but I was thinking, my current JBL 301.1 amp will give the Kappa only 300W RMS at 2 Ohms which I personally feel is slightly underpowered or could be perfect since the Kappa takes 350W RMS at 2 Ohms (please correct me if I am wrong here) & since the Audison LRx 5.1k amp will give out 750W RMS to the sub, should I go for a sub of equal RMS wattage or say 100W RMS more? I know that Invinsible has explained it perfectly as to why the Kappa would be able to take 700W RMS. But this is just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Epic, if you are in doubt wait. Why not listen to a few subs in the same price range like the DLS or ID etc.. and then decide.
Sounds like a good idea. Will definitely consider this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I have heard the IDQ's and no doubt its clean but somehow choose the Kappa for it's higher Sensitivity and BL. Also the Le is much lower compared to subs that cost even more than double. For Some reason ID doesn't mention about anything about it.
For future upgrade 2 of (kappa) these will be like Icing on the cake.
The thing I like about your comments/posts is the fact that when you say something, it is usually said with a detailed explanation to support it technically (other than RMS) and not only because it sounds good to you personally. This is something that will help most of us noobs to choose equipment without the confusion. Keep it coming.

Last edited by Epic : 17th September 2010 at 14:52.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 15:12   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Mi10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 974
Thanked: 1,455 Times
Default

Buddy, my 2 cents;

ICE is a system. Hence upgrade keeping in mind all other components of your system including your Battery and Alternator.

You have a good head unit and speakers. Match the other equipments (Sub and Amp) accordingly.

If you are determined to get the Lrx 5.1 please forget the your sub (kappa or any other) for now. 750 rms @ 4 ohms and 1120 rms @ 2 ohms, thats a lot of power. Dont waste precious power by powering it with 300-500 RMS subs.

P.S: No Offence meant to Kappa / other subs
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally finally finally finally... s4ch Introduce yourself 3 29th March 2012 19:44
On a strict budget, Swift gets some SQ ICE (Morel/Kenwood/Blaupunkt) thelord In-Car Entertainment 37 6th September 2011 12:49
Morel+JVC+Pioneer - budget ICE setup in my SX4 ZXi VVT etchemkay In-Car Entertainment 30 6th August 2011 23:18
Presenting my Swift Symphony - | Morel | Rockford Fosgate | Kenwood | Blaupunkt | Mi10 In-Car Entertainment 14 23rd September 2010 08:46
Swift VDI, JVC+PIONEER+JBL, ICE upgrade?? srikant In-Car Entertainment 13 12th November 2008 06:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks