Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 29th December 2010, 09:44   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Amp & Sub Upgrade - But Which Ones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I would first look at a good monoblock to drive that Kappa 120.9 sub. For this I would look at the Kenwood 8104, JBL 14001, or PDX M6 (if space is an issue). I would assume the 8014 would be the most affordable of these.

For the front and rear channels the 75.4 you have is a good amp. If you want to move a step or two up you should look at the Infinity Kappa 4, JL XD400/4, DLS RA40, Audison SR4, etc..
Since you have mentioned the DLS RA40, I am sort of tempted to look at the DLS Ultimate A4 and A6. Do you recommend these or would this be an overkill for the Tempos? If these are an overkill for the Tempos, will the Dotech Ovation suit these amps? I was suggested the Dotech Ovations at the time on install but went for the Tempos due to budget constraints and had sort of decided not to change my amps ever. But then the ICE keeda has bitten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
From what i heared (Morel Tempo, Maximo, HO, Elate) their tweeters are not exactly laid back, like say a DLS. The Tempo and Maximo especially are quite lively. I wont not called them sharp or harsh (i had this Hertz Deici and Energy series which are quite sharp).

Alpine V power is a good choice. The new Gen Alpine PDX F4/F6 is also getting some rave reviews. Solid 4 is good, i have heard it. Slightly less on Power levels and SNR though
The Alpine PDX F4/F6 seems to be winning votes here but is the DLS RA40 better or in par with the Alpine.

Also, another choice for the sub is the IDQ V3 D4. May consider this over the Kappa 120.9
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 14:06   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

The Alpine PDX F4/F6 seems to be winning votes here but is the DLS RA40 better or in par with the Alpine.

Also, another choice for the sub is the IDQ V3 D4. May consider this over the Kappa 120.9
In a lot of competition installs DLS itself has made more use of DLS reference series amps compared to Ultimate. DLS amps are warm sounding in vocals and highs are cleaner. Ultimate are wee bit better sounding in midbass region. However around the globe, sound of Reference is more preferred over the Ultimate. If you could decide on RA40, would be preferred choice over the Alpine PDX. Earlier Alpine PDX series had some noise issues which has been rectified with the new F4 and has a better SNR.

As for the sub I found the SQ from both IDQ V3 and Kappa almost similar but as I mentioned in my review it's the Lower Le, higher Bl, higher xmax that made makes it better choice. Le is constant whether you run it at 4 or 2ohm. he SQ from the Kappa is smooth and creamy and blended well with midbass off Morel Dotech Ovation. Plus I found the Kappa to have a bit more output compared to IDQ.

Last edited by Invinsible : 29th December 2010 at 14:10.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 20:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
In a lot of competition installs DLS itself has made more use of DLS reference series amps compared to Ultimate. DLS amps are warm sounding in vocals and highs are cleaner. Ultimate are wee bit better sounding in midbass region. However around the globe, sound of Reference is more preferred over the Ultimate. If you could decide on RA40, would be preferred choice over the Alpine PDX. Earlier Alpine PDX series had some noise issues which has been rectified with the new F4 and has a better SNR.
So then I believe it would be better to go in for the DLS RA40 instead right? Anything better than this for the same price? Also as I had asked earlier, are the Morel Tempos good enough for this amp or do you suggest I upgrade to the Dotech Ovations? Since the Morels usually need power to perform at their best, the RA40 give out 75W X 04 RMS and the Tempo can handle 120W RMS as compared to the Dotech Ovations which can handle 140W RMS. Will this lack of power affect performance then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
As for the sub I found the SQ from both IDQ V3 and Kappa almost similar but as I mentioned in my review it's the Lower Le, higher Bl, higher xmax that made makes it better choice. Le is constant whether you run it at 4 or 2ohm. he SQ from the Kappa is smooth and creamy and blended well with midbass off Morel Dotech Ovation. Plus I found the Kappa to have a bit more output compared to IDQ.
I think I'll just settle in for the Kappa 120.9 then. Or probably listen to both before I decide.

Last edited by Epic : 29th December 2010 at 20:40.
Old 29th December 2010, 23:43   #79
BHPian

The DLS RA40 is an extremely good amp. The DLS + Morel combination has been known to sound very good and neutral.

Regarding the amp for the subwoofer, I'd personally choose between the DLS RA20 and RA10. DLS RA20 is one of the best 2 channel amps available and you can bridge the 2 channels to get ~400W RMS at 4ohm. You can use this amp for the front components in case you upgrade in the future. DLS RA10 on the other hand gives you the option to go for 2ohm/1ohm loads, hence giving more output (lesser control though)

By the way, I had the chance to audition the Kappa 120.9 recently and in my opinion, it's one of the best subs under 13k. Can't say about the iDQ V3 as I haven't auditioned it yet but for around 13k, Kappa 120.9 gives you the option to go 2ohm or 4ohm with a select switch which is an awesome feature!

Quote:
So then I believe it would be better to go in for the DLS RA40 instead right? Anything better than this for the same price? Also as I had asked earlier, are the Morel Tempos good enough for this amp or do you suggest I upgrade to the Dotech Ovations? Since the Morels usually need power to perform at their best, the RA40 give out 75W X 04 RMS and the Tempo can handle 120W RMS as compared to the Dotech Ovations which can handle 140W RMS. Will this lack of power affect performance then?

I think I'll just settle in for the Kappa 120.9 then. Or probably listen to both before I decide.
thelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 12:01   #80
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII

Hi guys,

I seem to be sort of back to square one with mixed reviews again. After a lot of suggestions and recomendations, I have narrowed down on the following amps for my current set up:

1. DLS Reference RA40 & DLS Reference RA10
2. Genesis Profile 4 with a matching mono
3. Focal FPS 4.160 with a matching mono
4. Alpine PDX 4 & Alpine PDX 1

Please feel free to suggest anymore in a similar price range and similar performance.

Now I am leaning towards the DLS and Genesis for its rave reviews but told that Genesis has been shut down and apparently there is no after sales support in Mumbai for DLS. Gurus, please confirm if this is true.

I am basically looking for an SQ oriented amp that can give out 100W RMS plus to suit my Tempos. DLS is apparently on 75W RMS.
Old 5th January 2011, 12:12   #81
BHPian

Default Re: 'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII

1. and 3. are my pick, you are probably right about Genesis.

Between 1. and 3., try for DLS, they are ultimate!
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 12:31   #82
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Epic;2197802]
Now I am leaning towards the DLS and Genesis for its rave reviews but told that Genesis has been shut down and apparently there is no after sales support in Mumbai for DLS. Gurus, please confirm if this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
1. and 3. are my pick, you are probably right about Genesis.

Between 1. and 3., try for DLS, they are ultimate!
1. Genesis still has its doors open. Their factory was closed for a few months but they have started the operations again.

2. Why wont you get after sales support for DLS ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 15:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

@abhipuru16 - Are you suggesting I look at the DLS Ultimate series? Don't you think the A4 is a bit under powered for the Tempos sice they give out 85W RMS and Tempos can take 120W RMS?

@abhibh - Do you think it would be risky to buy an amp from a company which has shut shop and started again? Probably a chance of not getting spares and after sales service if this happens again? Probably Mi10 can help out here.
Don't know why DLS doesn't have support in Mumbai. This is what I have been told and hence asking the gurus for clarifications.
Old 5th January 2011, 16:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@abhibh - Do you think it would be risky to buy an amp from a company which has shut shop and started again? Probably a chance of not getting spares and after sales service if this happens again? Probably Mi10 can help out here.
Don't know why DLS doesn't have support in Mumbai. This is what I have been told and hence asking the gurus for clarifications.
1. Contact Ajay Kamath (Bass&Trouble) and confirm about DLS.

2. The Factory was shut down, not the whole company. Must be some internal problem. Apogee Electronics Limited the parent company is not new to the audio scene. They are very well known in MUSIC INDUSTRY.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 16:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

1. DLS Reference RA40 & DLS Reference RA10
2. Genesis Profile 4 with a matching mono
3. Focal FPS 4.160 with a matching mono
4. Alpine PDX 4 & Alpine PDX 1
1. Best for the Price - But very hard to get now. Even in international markets there are lot of fakes floating around.
2. Genesis is back from temproary closure - Do check with BBW. But Profile is low on power levels, Try Profile Ultra
3. For a High end Focal amp, the SNR is figure is hard to digest (~92 dBA). From what i heared its not as good as the Earlier Focal Power Sereis / LE sereis.
4. PDX F4 is getting rave reviews, for a class D, SNR of 96 dBA is very good. Nice Option, if you dont mind the class D factor

Why not Helix ? They have some real nice amps, B2 / B4 Precision sereis ?
Also Image Dynamics Q Sereis - You can consider that.

From your List i would close my eyes and get either the Profile Ultra or the DLS Reference (if i get one)

Last edited by Mi10 : 5th January 2011 at 16:26.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 10:42   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Lack of after sales support in Mumbai from DLS has been confirmed by Ajay. My options are now:

1. Genesis Profile Series
2. Alpine PDX Series
3. DLS Reference or Ultimate Series......still
4. Audison LRx Series

What do you guys think about the Audisons??

Also, I am sure these amps reqire better speakers than the Morel Tempos so I may look at an upgrade for the speakers but at a much later stage. Currently the amps and sub are priority.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

@Epic, if you buy DLS RA40, then cant you bridge the 4 channels to power just the front comps. This way your Tempos will be well fed with power. RA40 can do this right??
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 17:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

Are you getting DLS amps from India only or from US? IF india, what is the price for RA40? Reason for asking is that even i am planning to get RA40 but from US from Woofersetc.com for around $410. I too have Tempo rightnow running on JBL 1004 bridged.
Old 7th January 2011, 17:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

@nitinralli - I prefer all 4 speakers to be amplified hence don't want to bridge any channels. I too planning to source them from abroad as prices quoted in Mumbai/India are ridiculous!!!

Because of the lack of power from amps like DLS, Genesis, etc. I am actually now considering the Alpine PDX F4 150. I feel it makes a lot of sense for its sound quality, power and price and ofcourse will need not worry about after sales support in India either.
Old 7th January 2011, 18:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

From where are you planning to buy, i mean from which site?

My current install is almost like yours rightnow and i am also looking to upgrade the Amp. Once the amp is done, then will upgrade the Tempos too