Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:19   #16
BHPian
 
Grace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 315
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

Gentleman, Pardon my ignorance

If you had added Polk db691 instead,then sub and amp cost would've been saved? I am running the setup with Sony HU in my wagon R with those 6x9 on a rear tray and do not see the need fr a powered sub as db691 gives me the much needed thump.

Regards
Andy
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:40   #17
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Hi Grace,

A subwoofer is designed to emit low frequencies. 6x9 speakers do produce good bass but not as tight and thumpy as those that can come out of a subwoofer. The Polk db691 is indeed a very good speaker, as I run its younger sibling in my car. But since its powered by the HU, I dont think you are doing enough justice to the potential of the speakers.

I suggest you audition a sub-amp setup in your car and differentiate on whether adding a sub despite having 6x9 completes the setup or not.

On another note, which car do you own and what are the ICE components?

Cheers,
Alston
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:57   #18
BHPian
 
quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Blore
Posts: 542
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I suggest you audition a sub-amp setup in your car and differentiate on whether adding a sub despite having 6x9 completes the setup or not.
Very well said alstonlobo.

...Any good installer would have a sub-amp setup so you can check out 2/3 installers to begin with. Good quality speakers will have lot of potential but running them from HU alone wont do justice. They need to be amplified.

I am running without a sub-amp setup and i can already see the future
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 11:49   #19
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Here is a picture of what the HU looks like and a few indicators of what's what
Attached Images
 
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 13:34   #20
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Alston,
Did you notice any difference in SQ when the same MP3 song is played from CD as well as USB?
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 15:01   #21
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Alston,
Did you notice any difference in SQ when the same MP3 song is played from CD as well as USB?
I did not get a chance to do that, but managed to listen to a Music CD and compare the SQ with mp3 on USB, I found the latter to be better sounding in SQ, will try with mp3 on a CD though, thanks
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 18:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I did not get a chance to do that, but managed to listen to a Music CD and compare the SQ with mp3 on USB, I found the latter to be better sounding in SQ, will try with mp3 on a CD though, thanks
MP3 had better SQ compared to Audio CD?
That's not possible.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 20:47   #23
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
MP3 had better SQ compared to Audio CD?
That's not possible.
Even I was when I compared it briefly, the Volume level, bass quality etc was much better on my 320kbps MP3s, and honestly the Music CD is an Original English CD purchased in Dubai and its manufactured there, besides I have to investigate with different CDs and MP3s and check the results
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 22:22   #24
BHPian
 
salbin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore, Kochi
Posts: 497
Thanked: 164 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Even I was when I compared it briefly, the Volume level, bass quality etc was much better on my 320kbps MP3s
Even I was wondering after experiencing the difference.
I had some old mp3 cds. When I copied the cd contents to a pen drive and played, the difference was amazing.
salbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 22:32   #25
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Even I was wondering after experiencing the difference.
I had some old mp3 cds. When I copied the cd contents to a pen drive and played, the difference was amazing.
I am happy with the SQ on music on the USB drive, and most importantly, it thumps
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 11:38   #26
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Hi Alston,
I have also a misty lake colored Beat in my garage . Its a good car. I have the version in which there is no stereo inbuilt. So I too added a Kenwood stereo with JBL speakers. Guess what the JBLs would not hold on the fragile cardboard frame in the boot and so that ICE man gave me a wooden pre-cut piece which was fabricated just for this car and can take the weight of the two speakers on the rear. Don't have an amp installed as yet since the sound is quite good for four existing speakers.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 14:17   #27
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hi Alston,
I have also a misty lake colored Beat in my garage . Its a good car. I have the version in which there is no stereo inbuilt. So I too added a Kenwood stereo with JBL speakers. Guess what the JBLs would not hold on the fragile cardboard frame in the boot and so that ICE man gave me a wooden pre-cut piece which was fabricated just for this car and can take the weight of the two speakers on the rear. Don't have an amp installed as yet since the sound is quite good for four existing speakers.

Hi ambivalent,

Congrats on your Misty Lake Beat and good to know you are happy with the sound system. Just a question though, did you go for the LS just because you can add an aftermarket stereo or for some other reason?

Cheers,
Alston
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 15:59   #28
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 758
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Hi ambivalent,

Congrats on your Misty Lake Beat and good to know you are happy with the sound system. Just a question though, did you go for the LS just because you can add an aftermarket stereo or for some other reason?

Cheers,
Alston
No the decision was not based on stereo. The version lower than LS was my target but then for a small price different the current version had central locking both side mirrors etc. So I purchased the LS. Then about the music system I was looking at Helix and JBLs before installation. Helix were recommended by the ICE man but then I chose JBLs since my Honda has those and the sound is good. In the Beat the front speakers placed on or rather under the dash seems to sound better than if they were in the door perhaps.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 17:39   #29
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
No the decision was not based on stereo. The version lower than LS was my target but then for a small price different the current version had central locking both side mirrors etc. So I purchased the LS. Then about the music system I was looking at Helix and JBLs before installation. Helix were recommended by the ICE man but then I chose JBLs since my Honda has those and the sound is good. In the Beat the front speakers placed on or rather under the dash seems to sound better than if they were in the door perhaps.

Glad to know you are satisfied with your choice. Welcome to the club and happy motoring.
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 19:20   #30
BHPian
 
alstonlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 98 Times
Default

I finally met a bhpian today from Mangalore. Nice meeting you Meghan http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/kwokfist.html

Guys he has auditioned my setup personally and I believe he can testify on that, right Meghan?
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat) superutp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 42 21st February 2013 12:06
Chevrolet Next Generation Spark to be based on Beat Concept askicode The Indian Car Scene 17 23rd November 2009 11:49
Leaked:2010 Chevrolet/Daewoo Beat photo. aaggoswami The International Automotive Scene 27 5th October 2009 08:46
Spied:2009 chevrolet optra J200 and chevrolet beat M300 (matiz) sidindica The Indian Car Scene 41 29th May 2009 08:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks