Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 5th November 2012, 11:22   #46
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat LT ICEd

Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
Hi there, after nearly 3 years, I think I need to get my speakers changed. They're starting to blare and crackle, etc so I figured now would be a good time to change them. I currently have the illusion components in the front and coaxials in the back. Can anyone suggest speakers of similar quality or better that won't require modifications? Thanks a lot guys!
Hi bbyf16, thanks for bumping up my old thread which was lying low. Regarding your speaker requirements, honestly I'm not much in touch with what's hip today. my speakers were upgraded 2 years back and for my budget needs, they were the best bet in those days. They are still running fine without issues, however I'm surprised to know that your branded speakers have begun to crackle. Is your equalizer settings all fine. Are you running these on an amp? I suggest you disconnect them and inspect them for any defects, if any. Cheers.
alstonlobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 12:10   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
Default Re: Chevrolet Beat LT ICEd

Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
... I need to get my speakers changed. They're starting to blare and crackle, ...
1. What exactly do you mean when you say 'blare'?

2. What else do you have in your system?

Please do not automatically assume it is the speakers. Could be, but there are other possible points of failure.

* Take out the mid-bass of the components and check if the rubber surround is intact. If it is cracked or crumbling, yes you need to replace the speakers

* Check if there is dust build-up in the rear of the cone, where the cone meets the voice coil. If so, use a straw and blow the dust away. You could use compressed air at a pinch, but make sure the pressure is throttled down

* Check the XO components and connections at the terminals. If anything is looking cracked, you need to replace that component. Terminals could do with some cleaning, and finally a coat of vaseline after you reconnect

* Check the connections behind the HU

* Finally, check the functioning of the HU. Is it getting hot? Does stop 'blaring and crackling' at some volume? Is it the same with any input?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote