Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 12th September 2010, 17:11   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Neither is it cost cutting, and LOL, nor is it because it is a '1-box car' and the sound stays in the cabin.

The ANHC HU would have had a response curve (stock equalization in the HU, Navin referred to it here) tailored for the stock speakers. By adding an amp and sub, the whole thing is now a bit disproportionate. What you perhaps could try (outside of replacing the stock speakers and adding an external sound processor to cancel out the HU's pesky EQ curve) is to lower the sub amp gain and set tone controls to flat at the HU. After this, you could perhaps increase the treble a bit while increasing the sub amp gain bit by bit to increase the thump.
Quite right!

Spent the morning tinkering around, and the following results are working well:
- Amp gain reduced to around 1/2 (i think +2)
- HU Bass to +1
- HU Treble to -1
- HU fader to +2 Rear (reduced the front balance)

Since the amp is connected via RCA to the rear speakers, this is not balancing out the sound distribution a bit. Will need to drive around for at least a few days with various kinds of music to figure whether it's working.

Bottom line: Is it better than it was before? Hell yeah!
monkey_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 17:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your setup,please post some pictures too.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th September 2010 at 00:55. Reason: Please see Moderator's note in edited post.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 17:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The ANHC HU would have had a response curve (stock equalization in the HU, Navin referred to it here) tailored for the stock speakers.
True this. The very reason why I am reluctant to upgrade sound when customers decide to retain the OEM head unit. Atleast not without making it very very clear that the sound will not be as good as a similar setup installed with the most basic of aftermarket head units. Some typical symptoms of such a system will be -

Lack of real sub bass, mostly below 60-70Hz.
A big hump in the 100-150Hz region, fooling the uninitiated into believing there's a lot of bass happening.
Dips in the vocal range.
Peaky response in the 8-12kHz region.

Considering the tiny bit of power provided and the incompetent speaker drivers, all of the above adds up.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 17:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
True this. The very reason why I am reluctant to upgrade sound when customers decide to retain the OEM head unit. Atleast not without making it very very clear that the sound will not be as good as a similar setup installed with the most basic of aftermarket head units. Some typical symptoms of such a system will be -

Lack of real sub bass, mostly below 60-70Hz.
A big hump in the 100-150Hz region, fooling the uninitiated into believing there's a lot of bass happening.
Dips in the vocal range.
Peaky response in the 8-12kHz region.

Considering the tiny bit of power provided and the incompetent speaker drivers, all of the above adds up.
B&T,will upgrading to a Pioneer 5250 or 5190 help better my sound?also

will damping the front doors help?
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 17:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

I used the stock head unit on the skoda, when upgraded the speakers to Morels and added amplifier. I ensured I added the Equalizer. Reason most stock are EQ'd in a way to sound good with the stock speakers while upgrading speakers should make a difference to the sound, it doesn't. As B&T mentioned there are some freq than more empathized in stock HU to make the best of the stock speakers. The best remedy would be to add an equalizer, 12 band atleast would help out.
OR upgrade the Head unit to a decent one for better result. Adding damping to the doors will improve the midbass response and breakup in the midrange as damping will reduce the resonance.

Last edited by Invinsible : 12th September 2010 at 17:41.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 19:23   #21
BHPian

can any one help me into adding a active sub to my ANHC is it possible? do i need a line converter? as i learned there is no additonal preouts for sub in the HU Is it possible to keep the active sub under the back seat or its advisable to keep it in the boot? memebers please advise the best active sub and also its price range for ANHC with remote control as i think it will help to adjust the sound level in the Sub
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 11:38   #22
Team-BHP Support

The OEM ANHC HU has only 2 pairs of speaker outs. So if you want to add a sub you either need an amp with a speaker level input or a speaker to line level adapter.

I do not think a sub will fit under the rear seat (but to be honest I have not looked).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 11:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
can any one help me into adding a active sub to my ANHC is it possible? do i need a line converter? as i learned there is no additonal preouts for sub in the HU Is it possible to keep the active sub under the back seat or its advisable to keep it in the boot? memebers please advise the best active sub and also its price range for ANHC with remote control as i think it will help to adjust the sound level in the Sub
This thread is all about precisely this!

Yes, you will need a line converter, as the post above rightly says, there is no existing dedicated out for an amp. I wouldn't recommend fitting the amp under the back seat as that will not only get messy (wiring will have to be re-routed, it's easiest to draw the wire through the rubber beading into the boot), and secondly amps tend to get very hot during operation and that may both increase your cabin temp but also burn the seat etc.

You can mount the amp quite happily on a place in the boot, or on the woofer box (though some people don't recommend this). Let me know if you have any further questions as I'm quite fresh from the experience.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
This thread is all about precisely this!

Yes, you will need a line converter, as the post above rightly says, there is no existing dedicated out for an amp. I wouldn't recommend fitting the amp under the back seat as that will not only get messy (wiring will have to be re-routed, it's easiest to draw the wire through the rubber beading into the boot), and secondly amps tend to get very hot during operation and that may both increase your cabin temp but also burn the seat etc.

You can mount the amp quite happily on a place in the boot, or on the woofer box (though some people don't recommend this). Let me know if you have any further questions as I'm quite fresh from the experience.
Thanks very much for your info actually i am intrested in going for a active subwoofer and i don't have a problem in fixing it in the boot can u suggest me good active sub woofer with remote and it also its indicative price.
Old 16th September 2010, 01:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much for your info actually i am intrested in going for a active subwoofer and i don't have a problem in fixing it in the boot can u suggest me good active sub woofer with remote and it also its indicative price.
What's your budget? Audio can be be installed from anywhere between 5k (for grey market stuff) to 50k for GOOD quality hardware.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
What's your budget? Audio can be be installed from anywhere between 5k (for grey market stuff) to 50k for GOOD quality hardware.
Thanks monkey wrench for your quick responce basically i am not a audio freak and i am also satisfied with the current set up in ANHC which has 6 speakers set up but, still i feel some thing is lacking behind without the dedicated sub wooffer therefore i woulf like to add one without making much corrections in my HU My idea is to go for a Active Subwooffer which has a remote control to control rom my seat, as you asked my budget is 10k to 15k maximum but can be strectched slightly to add a better audio if required
Old 19th September 2010, 20:08   #27
BHPian

Still nobody to help me to buy a good Active sub wooffer i searched the Indian market but could not find any models in Sony or pioneer any body could through me some information regarding buying a active sub and fixing it in my ANHC will greatly acknowledged bye.
Old 19th September 2010, 20:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

The MTX RT12PT is the only active sub I have ever heard and it's pretty decent. It's available with B&W. Try to get an audition at Power Zone, Royapettah. He has several of these.

http://www.mtxaudio.eu/spip.php?article1300

Last edited by Gilead : 19th September 2010 at 20:16.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2010, 21:15   #29
BHPian

You can get the infinity basslink.Real good performance for the size
Available with JBL dealers.Contact them in your area.
here is the link- Infinity - Car Audio
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 18:33   #30
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Still nobody to help me to buy a good Active sub wooffer
MTX, Infinity are good ones available. There are other chinese ones also and almost half the price. Most active subs will readily accept speaker inputs, they are mostly meant for cars with stock HUs only with power around 150w RMS.

I would recommend a local one - simply because you end up spending 9k or more for a base bin. MTX retails around 12k. and it's really not worth it with the kind of stock HUs you get. There might be some pieces of a Blaupunkt old stock 12" pre-amplified available you can check with aman, he knew somebody clearing off stock. i think that costed around 6-6.5k, not bad at that price.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote