Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th September 2010, 17:55   #16
BHPian

Thanks Alstonlobo

actually i had inquired about Hertz with the dealer near my house, but he refused that he doesn't have any of its products

So on your suggestion, i'll look for a place where i can have a demo of it , and then decide, because time is not a factor for me, all i need is Good Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
I have upgraded my OEM sound system on my Beat LT. The amp and sub came within 11k. The brand is Hertz and it sounds so well, that I am not thinking about any future sound upgrade. If you can stretch your budget a bit, what you will get is a good product as well as an equally good SQ.

I would advise you to avoid going for a bass tube, since its not worth the money or the SQ.

Check my thread on the install if you want to have an idea of what I am talking about. Feel free to pose any questions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...t-lt-iced.html

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th September 2010 at 17:47. Reason: Removed extra smiley.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 18:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
first of all thanks for your suggestion regarding the boot.

actually i dont use much of my boot space, and i was thinking that a normal sub plus an amp would not take much space, and solve my purpose.

i just wanted to ask did your system create the BOOM BOOM element , and how was the clarity ? Because that are the 2 things i am looking for
Yep, I didn't use the boot much either...so wasn't really worried. As for the boom-boom element...well, someone wise once told me -- there are two types of people who install subs in their cars. People who listen to music, and people who make other people listen to their music! (it sounds better in Hindi, music sunne wale, and music sunane wale!). Anyhow, I was the former...but yes, a good sub+amp will give you an excellent boom-boom effect! (FYI, the sub at medium bass settings - Sub: 0, Bass: 0) would make my rear view mirror shake so bad that I couldn't see traffic. Sub: +2, Bass: +2 would make the entire car shake!)

Enjoy!
monkey_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 18:14   #18
BHPian

Lol, actually its the,first time i am going for a Sub

So i want both of them, music sunna bhi hai and sunna bhi hai

and by the way which brand was your sub...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Yep, I didn't use the boot much either...so wasn't really worried. As for the boom-boom element...well, someone wise once told me -- there are two types of people who install subs in their cars. People who listen to music, and people who make other people listen to their music! (it sounds better in Hindi, music sunne wale, and music sunane wale!). Anyhow, I was the former...but yes, a good sub+amp will give you an excellent boom-boom effect! (FYI, the sub at medium bass settings - Sub: 0, Bass: 0) would make my rear view mirror shake so bad that I couldn't see traffic. Sub: +2, Bass: +2 would make the entire car shake!)

Enjoy!
Old 11th September 2010, 20:01   #19
BHPian

@pranky, I am from Saraswati Vihar (pitampura)

If I go in for a JBL basstube or a pioneer sub in a custom box, I expect it would cost me around 6-7 k , so please suggest which amp can I get in a range of 4-5 k ?

The dealer near my house says, he can provide a Sound Barrier/Sony/Alpine amp for around 3k and a pioneer or a Sony sub for around 4k with box...

He claims he can do the whole thing, including wiring and stuff for a total of 7.5-8 k .

Kya karun abb...??
Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Good to see more north delhittes joining the gang!

Satyam.. where are you from? Rohini/Pitampura.. where?

As DerAlte ji correctly pointed out, you need to get rid of that sony crap. Get good front 6.5" components, and if you baaaass, get a bass tube (no not sony or that readymade crap (glass top box) with our local dealers).

Pioneer in a custom box could be a good option for you.. but be sure that "alpine" you're getting is fake. Genuine alpine amp alone retails for app ~ 20K.
Old 11th September 2010, 21:06   #20
BHPian

^^^ Make sure you don't end up with a fake (local amp branded as alpine, etc.)

Get a 2/4 channel JBL amp with bill and warranty. The 2 channel JBL will be around 3.5K and the 4 channel is 6.5K (approximate prices)
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 09:58   #21
BHPian

thanx

i wanted to ask, whats the difference between a 2 channel and a 4 channel amp ?

And can a 2 channel amp handle a sub or a basstube...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
^^^ Make sure you don't end up with a fake (local amp branded as alpine, etc.)

Get a 2/4 channel JBL amp with bill and warranty. The 2 channel JBL will be around 3.5K and the 4 channel is 6.5K (approximate prices)
Old 12th September 2010, 13:08   #22
BHPian

I have a JVC KD-R816, Blaupunkt Velocity Vc 542 and rear Polk Audio db691. Now, planning to get a 4 channel amp and if needed then a sub.

Please let me know what would be best with a budget for upto 10k and 20k.
My dealer has suggested me that a Blaupunkt 4 ch amp would be enough. I do listen to all kinda music (moslty metal, trance)
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 13:54   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Lol, actually its the,first time i am going for a Sub

So i want both of them, music sunna bhi hai and sunna bhi hai

and by the way which brand was your sub...?
I had (and still have) a Sony x-plode Sub connected to a Sony x-plode Amp. Hardcore audiophiles in this forum would turn their nose up against it, but it was good enough for my Santro!
Old 13th September 2010, 14:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I had (and still have) a Sony x-plode Sub connected to a Sony x-plode Amp. Hardcore audiophiles in this forum would turn their nose up against it, but it was good enough for my S

antro!
the best part about sony is that, its easily available and cheap too
Old 13th September 2010, 14:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
the best part about sony is that, its easily available and cheap too
Well, cheap(er)! Beware of fakes though. I'd suggest avoiding local shops and buying it from an authorised Sony dealer.
Old 17th September 2010, 19:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Well, cheap(er)! Beware of fakes though. I'd suggest avoiding local shops and buying it from an authorised Sony dealer.
hey if i get it from a sony centre in delhi, with a proper bill, is it fine...??

Can't i get a demo any where....??
Old 18th September 2010, 12:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

@satyam: go to carman in paschim vihar.. while you approach peeragrhi from outer ring road (madhuban chowk - deepali - mangol puri route), take a left from peeragarhi chowk. Travel like 500m or so, carman is on the service lane (left side). You'll get auditions as well as grey market prices. Dont get it installed from there.. do some research, use your brains, get it installed locally for 500 bucks rather than spending 2000 @ carman.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 21:47   #28
BHPian

Lightbulb HU and Speakers/ amp advice for a Xing?

Hi guys, first post here! Looking for a bit of advice.

I need to buy a new HU and Speakers. Amp will come soon but I'm not banking on it. I've already set up Blau 402 HP (30w rms) at the front and need anything to go at the back. I'm looking at coaxials for the rear. 6x9. Components are OK but I don't drive other people around so why waste money on stuffing comps at the back! Unless the Tweeters will sound extra special if angled forward?

Head unit =
I'm picking up a Pioneer 1690UB cd player for 3.8K. If there's anything else I should consider please tell me. I'm looking for HPF and LPF, 2 RCA and preferably a 5 band EQ. Everything else is unimportant. CD drive not required but then I don't want to go above 4 K unnecessarily.

One option is the Sony 1070 for 4.2K. It's new, looks good, and works better than the rest without an amp (55 vs 50wx4 pmpo). I believe a sub can be connected directly to the HU or am I so grossly mistaken? Also the RCA output is strong (4.8V)

I have constant alternator whine and hence the 2 RCA requirement.

Speakers =
Music genres : mostly heavy and death metal, occasionally some bollywood /punjabi for crowd pleasing.
For the speakers, here are my choices, but first with the considerations.

Pio as they're cheap.
Would like an inbuilt Crossover (do I need to give this importance, much?) and relaxed sound.
Decent Bass extension required as I am not buying an amp right now let alone a sub.
60W RMS a minimum. ( for future expansion)
An amp will come much later so high SPL is required. (>91db)

• (3.8 Street) JBL GTO 949 - avoiding as they're 2 ohm? Have an inbuilt Crossover
  • (3.1 online) Pioneer A935H - might not need a sub as they extend pretty deep spec sheet wise
  • (4k online) JBL GTO 609C - external Crossover but round and I already have an mdf tray with 6x9 Pio right now which need to go.
Wish I had a better idea of the market

Amp
I could buy the Sony n502 for 3.2K or the n1004 for what I think is 4.5K (unsure maybe more). Has good power per channel and a 96 dB Snr. The n1004 has an HPF too, in case I buy a sub months from now.
Budget stops at 4 for a two channel and 5 for a four channel and only if it's justified

Lastly, how much will I benefit from dampening? I have no speakers in the doors and firewall dampening will probably cost a bundle. Any price estimates of the bare minimum material and labor balancing quality and effectiveness?

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. Buying on the 23rd so looking to get my ICE on the road. If anyone has any local recommendations, I'm in chandigarh. Also need to Palm off my old stereo (Kenwood cd mp3 player) and Speakers (Pio ovals)
wooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: HU and Speakers/ amp advice for a Xing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
... I'm picking up a Pioneer 1690UB cd player ...
Good enough. Better than any Sony!

Quote:
... One option is the Sony 1070 for 4.2K. It's new, looks good, and works better than the rest without an amp (55 vs 50wx4 pmpo). ...
Please ignore the numbers - they are misleading at best. All of them use an amp rated 14W rms (never look at PMPO numbers; if rms is not mentioned, dump the unit).

Quote:
... I believe a sub can be connected directly to the HU or am I so grossly mistaken? ...
Nooooo! Sub needs 30-100W rms practically - no 14W rms amp can drive it.

Quote:
... Also the RCA output is strong (4.8V) ...
Doesn't matter that much, since all external amps can adapt to even lower Pre-amp outputs (via Gain Control setting).

Quote:
... I have constant alternator whine and hence the 2 RCA requirement. ...
Errr... the solution to that is effective shielding and grounding, not 2 RCAs. 2 RCAs enable you to independently control front-rear - Fading function.

Quote:
... Speakers = ...
Pio as they're cheap. ...
Don't look at cost as the major factor - look at the sound characteristic. Audition and compare.
Quote:
... 60W RMS a minimum. ...
Don't go by numbers or spec sheet - they all play insanely loud if you push them.

Quote:
... (3.8 Street) JBL GTO 949 - avoiding as they're 2 ohm?... (3.1 online) Pioneer A935H ... (4k online) JBL GTO 609C ...
609C are components, not recommendable for mounting on parcel tray: you will get a funny rear-focused sound image in the driver seat, and that is quite unnerving. Pioneer does sound low, but it is not necessarily good bass. Please audition and critically compare (try playing metal v/s hip-hop; fast bass v/s droning bass).

You haven't mentioned what you want to use in the front. I assume your car is a Santro, and you are limited to a 4" in the dash (near your knees).

Quote:
... Amp ...
Again, please don't go by numbers and spec sheet. Kenwood and JBL have much better amps for around the same price. You need LPF for sub, not HPF. Don't buy a 2 channel - you shouldn't drive only the sub and not the fronts. A 4 channel is more VFM.

Quote:
... Lastly, how much will I benefit from dampening? I have no speakers in the doors and firewall dampening will probably cost a bundle. ...
You would benefit a lot. Damping will cut out noise that occupies the same low-mid frequency range as significant music content. Damping will allow you to hear music that noise would be masking. With a petrol engine, you wouldn't need firewall damping. Overall it should cost ~5K to damp the 4 doors and the hatch.

Quote:
... Also need to Palm off my old stereo (Kenwood cd mp3 player) and Speakers (Pio ovals)
Errr... why would you sell off good stuff and buy Sony / Pioneer instead? Also, you already have decent 6x9s - why replace them?
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 23:15   #30
BHPian

Smile Re: HU and Speakers/ amp advice for a Xing?

Thanks a ton for the attention to my post

I'm going to break down your reply to better target some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
(Pioneer 1690UB )Good enough. Better than any Sony (CDX 1070)!
Revised prices :

3.8K for the Pio 1690UB (looks worse than the 1590UB)
3.6K for the Pio 1590UB ( only thing missing is MixTrax and USB MTP support)
3.95 for the Sony CDX 1070 (meh OK CF looks)
4.70 Pioneer - DEH X7590SD ( new entry looks fabulous!)

I wonder why all the Sony hate? Pio amps are 22Wx4 and Sony 23Wx4 RMS as per the spec sheet.
Besides power output what am I going against? They're 320KBPs MP3's and I wonder if an HU can make a difference until I move to my FLACs, which will play via AUX.

I've noticed power ratings steadily improve. My current Kenwood is 45Wx4 PMPO and nowadays they sell 55Wx4. I understand that translates to about 3W RMS difference but when using the inbuilt amp ( considering the amp will come much later) doesn't it add up, esp at medium levels, which could be the difference between distortion and otherwise?

In terms of pure power, wouldn't 55Wx4 thump 45Wx4 any day? This isn't external amps and are all MOSFETs. Whats to say that Sony circuitry would be inferior to others ? ( I will do what you recommend at the end of the day, this is just for argument's sake)

Quote:
Please ignore the numbers - they are misleading at best. All of them use an amp rated 14W rms (never look at PMPO numbers; if rms is not mentioned, dump the unit).
I could have this wrong, but spec sheets say about-

20W RMS ( current Kenwood HU) ,
22 W RMS for the Pio's and
23W RMS for the Sony.

RMS values had to be dug for. Indian sites won't disclose.

Quote:
...not 2 RCAs. 2 RCAs enable you to independently control front-rear - Fading function.
Please, please enlighten me

In case I'm to use 2 RCA for fading, then won't I be looking at using one channel for the front and another for the rear? That way L R channels just became Front - Rear channels?
In case I use line level outputs for amping later, then I suppose 2 RCA allows me to use 2 subs say one below the driver seat ( lol I know what you're thinking) and one in the boot? This is besides the current idea of just amping the rear coaxials via RCA.

Further fading on the AMP will introduce timing issues, am I right, as it's not done via IC memory instead, they use IC resistors?

Quote:
You haven't mentioned what you want to use in the front. I assume your car is a Santro, and you are limited to a 4" in the dash (near your knees).
I did -- Blau 402 HP/ Picked up for about 1.15 after swapping my Pio's. Negotiated price after installation so got what I deserved.

Quote:
..You need LPF for sub, not HPF. Don't buy a 2 channel - you shouldn't drive only the sub and not the fronts. A 4 channel is more VFM.
I'll be going from using the inbuilt HPF on the HU that power the front 4" coaxes (say 23W RMS HU ) for 30W RMS speakers that are shrill already and don't put out any bass. Along with mad cabling across the entire car to compound my alternator whine issues, and cabling costs.

Perhaps in my next car but no compelling reason to do this for the Blau's.

Furthermore no Sub today, and I'd HPF the rear Coaxes the day I'd get my sub ( and amp, in lieu of my money plants which is all I'm growing in my rented accommodation, besides rearing a rabbit for the girl).

Quote:
You would benefit a lot. ( Damping)
Tyre noise is significant ( I've just bought JK Tornado's 165mm tyres) and I don't think it's feasible to do the floor.

I'm going to pick up aluminium clad bitumen sheets and do the doors next weekend. Got thermocol and closed cell foam to stuff the doors with. Just concerned it doesn't mess with the power windows.

Should I stick the foam down or let it float like the fibrewool in my Edifiers?

Quote:
Errr... why would you sell off good stuff and buy Sony / Pioneer instead? Also, you already have decent 6x9s - why replace them?
Speakers..
They're horrible 40W 6x9 RMS pio's that have given up ( flex and zero bass explain it, missing fidelity)

HU..
My HU is a Kenwood with a joystick , ya, and 45Wx4. They won't even push my Blau 402 HP, let alone rear Coaxes.

The most significant reason to upgrade is AUX input and USB support ( I've searched high and low, there's no way to mod my current set up)

Could you please tell me if this is a good idea : 1 K over my current Pio Choice but Looks way better:
Pioneer - DEH X7590SD 4.7K from 9K MRP.

============================================
============================================

On to the speakers -- how would one rate these speakers:
  1. 3.1 SD Blau GTx 693 SC ( only thing putting me off is 55W RMS)
  2. 3.5 Street Price JBL 949 GTO ( they're 2 OMH !! I got a lot of negative feedback regarding these when it comes to servicing ( no official distributor in CDG !?) and their tweeters packing up. Also I believe they're the last off the shelf as a new line is replacing them in 2 months)
  3. 2.4K SD Pio A935 (under powered and cheap) - will save some money possibly.
  4. 3.1K SD Pio A935H
wooka is offline   Reply With Quote