Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th October 2010, 09:43   #61
BHPian

Default front grill for the sub?

Is a grill recommended for the sub? just to protect it from accidental puncturing! Will there be any issue of the grill resonating while playing music at higher volumes?

-Z
Zombie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:42   #62
BHPian

That's a NEAT sub Z. How's the music now after addition of sub. I know it's a stupid question because it would obviously sound better and that's why one adds a sub. But just want to know it from horse's mouth. The only thing missing in my ICE currently is a sub. I'm too tempted to add one. But budget is restricting me for at least another 2 months.

Why did you chose RF Sub ? You bought/installed it from Evo ?
torquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 20:52   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquarius View Post
That's a NEAT sub Z. How's the music now after addition of sub. I know it's a stupid question because it would obviously sound better and that's why one adds a sub. But just want to know it from horse's mouth. The only thing missing in my ICE currently is a sub. I'm too tempted to add one. But budget is restricting me for at least another 2 months.

Why did you chose RF Sub ? You bought/installed it from Evo ?
well just until i got the Sub installed i never knew what i was missing. When i used to hear music!! I have heard JBL and pioneer it gets louder and doesn't gel with the components, RF is smooth, gels with my existing setup and it's cheaper too! I spent INR 5300 for everything. I wouldn't go anywhere else as iI'm comfortable with EVO and i trust Satya's judgment.

Cheers!
-Z
Old 25th October 2010, 10:49   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
I wouldn't go anywhere else as iI'm comfortable with EVO and i trust Satya's judgment.

Cheers!
-Z
+1 to that matter. I was at Satya's place yesterday, I did enquire about the output of your set up. I have 4 RF speakers already. So going for a RF sub would be a good proposition I guess.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that matter. I was at Satya's place yesterday, I did enquire about the output of your set up. I have 4 RF speakers already. So going for a RF sub would be a good proposition I guess.
Sounds good! But make sure you read the power ratings of your amp and your front components and sub. Your amp should have sufficient power to drive both your comps and sub.

Cheers!
-Z
Old 19th November 2010, 09:55   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
Took the pics of my cell phone
Total price inclusive of Sub / Ported Box / Wiring came up to INR 5300
@Z
Hi
The rockford website says that this subwoofer is not recommended for ported enlosures

Are you sure yours is a ported?

When you compared it with the JBL and Pioneer, what major difference did you feel , was it the sound quality or the boom boom factor

Cheers

GT
GT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:26   #67
BHPian

Hi GT,
By the way I'm a fan of Mustang too!
I didn't refer their website when I bought this, but i did surely test the sub with the sealed enclosure and ported. Ported sounded better.
Compared to JBL and Pioneer, RF prime is the best. It does gel with my components. whereas JBL and Pio are a bit louder (SPL) instead of smooth and quality bass.

Cheers!
-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
@Z
Hi
The rockford website says that this subwoofer is not recommended for ported enlosures

Are you sure yours is a ported?

When you compared it with the JBL and Pioneer, what major difference did you feel , was it the sound quality or the boom boom factor

Cheers

GT
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:21   #68
BHPian

@ Z

Nice to know that your a fan of GT500.

Anyways, I think that If the sub sounds good ported, Its totally fine.

I haven't auditioned JBL or Pio, but I have heard personal Experiences that , Pioneer Especially is a bit boomy and doesn't have SQL oriented sound.

Anyways, I have shortlisted RF, Hertz and JBL for my setup, I'll audition them, Lets see what happens.

Cheers

GT
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:26   #69
BHPian

@ GT - Any particular models/variants that you have shortlisted in these 3 brands. Please throw some light. Am also on lookout for a sub to close my ICE loop. Badly missing those lows .

Quote:

Anyways, I have shortlisted RF, Hertz and JBL for my setup, I'll audition them, Lets see what happens.
Old 23rd November 2010, 01:01   #70
BHPian

Quote:
@ GT - Any particular models/variants that you have shortlisted in these 3 brands. Please throw some light. Am also on lookout for a sub to close my ICE loop. Badly missing those lows .
@T
Well I have shortlisted the Hertz DS300( 4K) the RF ( 12" prime for 3.7K and and power 1 Series 12" 5K) and the JBL gt5 S12 (around 3-4k).

Again , I would suggest you to LISTEN to the SUB before installing, go by your own ear's judgment, not by the installers, listen to some brands at least 2-3 , then make your final choice, don't go by others opinion as Sound is very subjective, you may like bass a certain way and I might not or Vice versa.

SO LISTEN BEFORE YOU SPEND.

Cheers

GT

PS: you can save up some money by making your own sub box, after you have decided which one to buy, download the manual look up its box specification and buy some MDF (0.75")and give it to a carpenter to build it, this of course If you have time to waste, as a weekend will be required for this exercise. Otherwise you can always buy readymade.
Old 23rd November 2010, 01:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you can save up some money by making your own sub box, after you have decided which one to buy, download the manual look up its box specification and buy some MDF (0.75")and give it to a carpenter to build it, this of course If you have time to waste, as a weekend will be required for this exercise.
Enclosures are not just about nailing 6 sides of wood together.
Professional enclosure makers follow methods and techniques for the subwoofer to produce bass of the highest fidelity.

Please do not get a carpenter, 3/4 inch MDF and try to make a box yourself.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 01:25   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Enclosures are not just about nailing 6 sides of wood together.
Professional enclosure makers follow methods and techniques for the subwoofer to produce bass of the highest fidelity.

Please do not get a carpenter, 3/4 inch MDF and try to make a box yourself.
Well actually , I'm no expert at this but these are my resources for the box building DIY,

The video which shows this is not rocket science:-

The dimensions advisor, to help design the box as per volumetric requirements of the sub model :-

Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer BoxWizard

This is good enough for any other brand of sub also as long as you get the volume right.

So as you can see, I haven't simply nailed 6 sides together.

You may be right, I might end buying the same very box with same specification at 3 times the price, but I want to be sure that I tried building mine just for the sake of it.

Cheers

GT

Last edited by GT500 : 23rd November 2010 at 01:27.
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:26   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well actually , I'm no expert at this but these are my resources for the box building DIY
Sealed boxes are quite tolerant for vented boxes there are now programs like this spice model. It is easier than doing ti manually which is what I used to do, later on I used a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet but these models are far more sophisticated.

diyAudio

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...-aes-1991-.zip

The other option is to rummage though the PDF versions of AES papers written by John Vanderkooy, Alex Salvatti, Doug Button, Alan Devantier and Juha Backman or the libraries of JBL/Infinity and the Eindhoven University. BTW Alex, Doug and Alan now work for JBL/Infinity at Norhtridge (along with Andy Wehmeyer).

Last edited by navin : 23rd November 2010 at 10:32.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Till 25 years back I used to have a book from Philips which was based on the Eindohoven Uni stuff. Did most of my box designs from that with dense particle board and even teak (which was available in plenty back then). Alas, some one took it from me and didn't ever return it. Been searching for that book in physical or electronic form since then to no avail. :-(
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:21   #75
BHPian

Quote:
@T
Well I have shortlisted the Hertz DS300( 4K) the RF ( 12" prime for 3.7K and and power 1 Series 12" 5K) and the JBL gt5 S12 (around 3-4k).
Since you have plans to build the box yourself, you can think of sourcing the sub from US (if any of your friends are traveling). Because of thanksgiving season, many car audio stuff are being sold at throw away prices. For example, the RF R1S412 sub is available at just USD 44 (about INR 2k). Check the below link.

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1S412 R1 12-Inch 150 Watt Subwoofer - 4 Ohm: Electronics

And JBL GT5 S12 is available at USD 69 (about INR 3K) on Amazon

Amazon.com: JBL GT5-12 12-Inch Single-Voice-Coil Subwoofer: Electronics