1.5 KG Fibreglass matt
1 Meter Polyester fabric
1 meter aluminium T patti - to use as stilts
1 box Phata phat - quick sealing MSeal

Duration? The weekend.
Tiring? Oh Yes.

Sorry - Forgot to take a picture of all the raw materials

Step 2: Making the frame

This is the scary part. Why so? Because I had to cut the original panels. But then the new ones are not too expensive either - Its 900Rs a pair. So if all goes bad I could always just go and buy a new pair from Pandit. Only prblem with that is that it would take a week to procure as these are not fast moving items.

Once the cutting was done I had to experiment with placement and angles. For this I had to temporarily fasten the speaker baffles with feviquick and install the panels to get the placement correct. This is easier said than done as you really need to muscle those panels in and every time i did that the baffles would come loose. The most difficult part is getting both sides at the same angles and location.

Finally got it right and here is what it looked like.
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00005201009040145.jpg

Step 3: The Cover up
Used a thin Polyester cloth to cover the complete frame which would act as a mold. For this I used feviquick to stick the edges. Trick part is to make sure there are no creases.

The problem I faced here was that the tweeter baffle was higher than the midbass baffle. had to make sure the complete midbass baffle was covered well and that the cloth has stuck hard enough before i could stretch it over the tweeter baffle. This was easier said than done as it kept coming loose.

Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00010201009042036.jpg

Step 4: The Sticky, Itchy, Messy, Smelly bit

This is the part where everybody at home starts to curse you and keeps giving you dirty looks whenever they enter the room.

I cut the FG matt into strips of 4x2 inches. This makes it easier to handle. Applied a coat of the compound to the polyester cloth and started adding layers of FG matt. Added about 4 layers to get the required thickness - which was too much but ill come to that later.

It takes for ever to dry - even after 2 days it was still quick sticky. It will get hard after 4 -5 hours but the stickiness just does not go.

Here is what it looks like.
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00009201009041905.jpg

Step 5: The first Disaster

I put too much resin on the second panel by mistake to I kept it outside the house to dry overnight and went to sleep. Guess what! It rained on Saturday night and when I woke up on Sunday morning all I got was a gooey blob!

Sorry no pictures - I'd rather not remember that part as the cleanup took forever. Whats worse was that the rained washed off quite of the resin onto the floor which once again everyone at home cribbed about. Took me an hour to clean that mess up.

Obviously I had to re-do the panel.

Step 6: The Dremel

Had to cut off the excess hardned fibreglass with a dremel. Then sanded it down with a rather large grit sand paper. In hindsight i feel the sanding was a waste of time as when i gave it for painting the putty covered up everything in anycase!

Also, this is when i cut out the speaker holes.

Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00011201009051223.jpg

Step 7: The Paint

This I did not do myself but got it done at once of the car denting painting shops.

Covered with Metaplast - Polyester putty.
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00013201009051501.jpg

Sanded down to a smooth finish
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00015201009051643.jpg

Painted
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00018201009051735.jpg

Step 8 Re-Fitting

If the panels were tough to get in without all the fibreglass they were a nightmare to re-fit after being fibreglassed. I had put too many layers of matt making the pillar too thick on some places. Finally i did get them in but not without any problems.

The right pillar got bent a bit while i was pushing it in and the paint cracked at the weakest point. I did not have the energy to remove it again - plus i was worried if it came out I would damage it more trying to put it back in.

Just put some transparent scotch tape over the crack. I guess I'll have to just live with this.

The end result
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00020201009052323.jpg
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00021201009052323.jpg
Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00024201009052324.jpg

All pictures were taken with my phone. Will take a couple of good pictures with my camera and put them up later.

Last edited by Crimson : 6th September 2010 at 11:19.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 12:03   #2
BHPian

What a speed man? Last Friday we were discussing where to get Fiber Glass Material. And today I see finished work. Good work.

From where you got raw material? Is it the same place which you mentioned in other thread?
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 13:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
What a speed man? Last Friday we were discussing where to get Fiber Glass Material. And today I see finished work. Good work.

From where you got raw material? Is it the same place which you mentioned in other thread?
Yup - same guy.

Not very happy with the paint job. The one thing that I did not do myself turned out bad. Thinking of taking it out and just using a thin grey carpet material like on the roof.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:18   #4
BHPian

Please share cost involved for raw materials and other stuff like painting etc.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 13:27   #5
BHPian

Unfortunately, I am leaving for UK for a year next week so I wont have time to improve this now. However if I had the time this is what I would have done:

1. Cut the Pillar into 2 pieces exactly below of where the tweeter is mounted.

2. Cover the surface with either a grey carpet or a black rexine with a 2mm sponge. Get white denim stitches on the edges

I think that would look really nice. Plus mounting it would not be such a nightmare since it is cut in 2 pieces. If the carpeting is done well and neatly, the place where it is cut would look like a neat seam.

If I had the time I would definitely have redone the surface somehow - Just not too happy with the quality of the paint job. But unfortunately this is how it is going to have to be for a year at-least!

Last edited by Crimson : 6th September 2010 at 13:31.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Please share cost involved for raw materials and other stuff like painting etc.
Just a shade above 1000Rs

Raw material about 450
Painting 500
Wood baffles about 150
Old 6th September 2010, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

crimson I did the same circus sometime back , however it worked in my favor. Instead of using the polyester cloth I would have preferred some kinda t-shirt material which would stretch.

Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00020201009052323.jpg

Punto - Fibreglass A Pillar for Speakers-img00024201009052324.jpg

In the images above I see wrinkles and have marked them. Probably caused because of the fact that he cloth dint stretch enough.

Have put up a thread here with the exact process I followed. For a novice I salute your effort in going ahead and doing something on the A-pillar's plastic panels.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 14:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Have put up a thread here with the exact process I followed. For a novice I salute your effort in going ahead and doing something on the A-pillar's plastic panels.
Hey wow man! Your finish is just fabulous. Hats off to you - looks superb. Maybe my next effort will look as good as that - But its gonna have to wait!

Few differences I noticed.

1. Your FG mat was different. Mine was the one made out of strands and woven like what you showed me. The mat you used looks much much neater than what I used.

2. The part you have shown me is not a wrinkle. It is actually too much of the FG mat in that area. If you look up my post you will find one snap with just the cloth placed on. There are no wrinkles there. I dint know how many layers of FG matt to use and ended up with a little more at that area.

3. Also on the RHS where you have put the arrows is actually the weakest part of the structure and its very very hard to fit those panels back in even in their original unmodified state - so with all the extra fibreglass i really had to push them in hard - in doing so, that area got bent downwards which caused that bulge.

4. what paint did you use. The guy I gave it to for painting used something called grey astar (pronounced in hindi). And it does not look as good as I would have liked. Thats why i feel rexine / carpet covering would have been better as it would have covered any imperfections.

Last edited by Crimson : 6th September 2010 at 14:14.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

WOW! This is a fantastic job, @crimson! :
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 15:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Your FG mat was different. Mine was the one made out of strands and woven like what you showed me. The mat you used looks much much neater than what I used.
Its the close knit type of mat and is easier to work on and is called something like 303.

Quote:
3. Also on the RHS where you have put the arrows is actually the weakest part of the structure and its very very hard to fit those panels back in even in their original unmodified state - so with all the extra fibreglass i really had to push them in hard - in doing so, that area got bent downwards which caused that bulge.
A little bit of research should have helped my friend. I mean you need to go a little easy on such panels which are tough to fit back on. Try and keep the application of resin to the minimum.

Quote:
4. what paint did you use. The guy I gave it to for painting used something called grey astar (pronounced in hindi). And it does not look as good as I would have liked. Thats why i feel rexine / carpet covering would have been better as it would have covered any imperfections.
Dupont was used I think,however the job was neat and it was done by a professional painter.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2010, 10:46   #11
BHPian

Nice work! You can always cover the pannel, if you are not too happy with the finish.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 00:41   #12
BHPian

Amazing work Crimson & rjstyles69, you should be proud of yourself. It was greatly done & small flaws are bound to happen in DIY. I am planning to do something like this in my boot. I would take help from you guys.
HarneetBarmy is offline   Reply With Quote