Old 1st March 2012, 11:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Hi All,

I would be buying a new VW Polo TDI TL

Thanks,
Novice29
How is the SQ of Integrated Music system from VW dealer? I am talking about the one in black, with USB, AUX & BT.
If needed I am ready to upgrade the speakers.
Thanks,
Novice29
novice29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 17:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VW Polo ICE?

@novice29 - For ICE, your dealer isnt the right person to speak to. Everything he suggests or quotes will be overpriced compared to what you can get aftermarket. And warranty void statements are just hogwash as long as the original wiring arent tampered with. Just check the t-bhp directory for reference and recommendations in your place.

Choice of music is personal preference and all the brands you have listed are good in their own ways. Please audition them personally and go for the one's which you like the most. Going by your description, I feel SQ is what you are looking for and the music should sound neutral. You can add Morel and infinity speakers too to your list.

For HU, you can consider pioneer, JVC, Kenwood too as they have quite competent units in their lineup. And finally, you do need the 2 DIN facia adaptor to install on the car, but the price quoted to you is on the higher side.

There are quite a lot of polo/vento ICE threads available on the forum, do take a look and you may get some idea. You can check my setup in my ownership thread.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:50   #18
BHPian

Thank you bala80. Each and every statement in your post is very true. I decided not to go to the dealer. They do not even know who is the manufacturer of the HU they are talking about (the accessory guy told me that it is VW make) :-).
In our area, best place for Workmaship and Quality is Emperor. Went there, had a detailed chat with those people. Since I know them for some time now, decided to stick with what they suggest.
Finally decided on Alpine HU (W203E), JL Audio Components and Moral Co-Axials. Got it installed, had around 150 KMs trip at night (3 people, Brother-in-law, Wife and me) to check the SQ.
Final Result : I am Happy :-)
I too feel that the prices are at a higher side, but flattened by their quality of work.

Thanks,
Novice29
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great. I have highlighted a couple of statements in your post below which to me are the most important things at the end of the day.

If you get these two right, it probably means you got yourself a very good set-up. And you have got these right and thats what matters the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Final Result : I am Happy :-)
I too feel that the prices are at a higher side, but flattened by their quality of work.

Thanks,
Novice29
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 09:09   #20
BHPian

The SQ really matches my taste; not too loud or punching, but clear and neutral.
Old 20th March 2012, 00:39   #21

Hi,

I am also looking to buy a Polo soon.
As I'll be going in for the TL model, I need some ICE.

Im not too much of a SQ buff. As long as SQ is decent/passable, it works. BT is something I want though. Budget is around 20k MAX. Would be a lot more comfortable around 15k.

Im looking at the 2-DIN model that VW was offering which is also there in the Alto K10 Xplore. Maruti is selling that for Rs 10,000 and I can get speakers at 2,000 Rs a pair from Defence Colony flyover.

Another option would be to buy a non touchscreen 2 DIN aftermarket system for 10,000 and add speakers.

Third option is a touchscreen model without BT for 14,000 + 4,000 for speakers = 18,000

However, in all these options, the back light is blue/orange/some other color whereas it is red in the polo. Hence, I was seriously considering going in for a single din system such that it has a Red backlight. Would you think this would look bad or does the mismatched light look worse?

What would you recommend? Also, can the back light color be changed to match the interiors?
itaughtthestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 13:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itaughtthestig View Post
Im looking at the 2-DIN model that VW was offering which is also there in the Alto K10 Xplore. Maruti is selling that for Rs 10,000 and I can get speakers at 2,000 Rs a pair from Defence Colony flyover.

Another option would be to buy a non touchscreen 2 DIN aftermarket system for 10,000 and add speakers.

Third option is a touchscreen model without BT for 14,000 + 4,000 for speakers = 18,000

What would you recommend? Also, can the back light color be changed to match the interiors?
Some HUs have the option to change the back light. Some dont. You would have to check the manual or ask the dealer for each of the HUs you are interested in.

Just one suggestion, your budget for the HU is rather high compared to your budget for the speakers. Remember a chain is only as strong as the weakest link so all the components in your system should be of similar quality or you are not realising the full value of the more expensive components.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 02:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Just one suggestion, your budget for the HU is rather high compared to your budget for the speakers. Remember a chain is only as strong as the weakest link so all the components in your system should be of similar quality or you are not realising the full value of the more expensive components.
Yeah navin, that's because Im going in for what I think is a basic system that meets my needs. It has to be 2-DIN, because my parents prefer that over a blank slot and a 1-DIN. It has to have BT so I don't have to drive with the phone on my ear and so this is the cheapest option. SQ isn't all that important to me and i think i can get a relatively good SQ with the 2000 Rs speakers.

Would you agree?
itaughtthestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 09:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itaughtthestig View Post
i think i can get a relatively good SQ with the 2000 Rs speakers. Would you agree?
In the end it is your ears. I dont know which speaker you intend to get so cannot offer an opinion.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 03:00   #25

Default ICE recommendations for Polo 1.6

Hi guys,

Here's another (!) thread about an ICE upgrade for a Polo but since everyone has their own requirements and tastes I guess it is justified. I am a relative noob as far as ICE systems go so please bear with me! I am looking to replace the stock system that came with my Polo 1.6 Highline which, shockingly, doesn't support aux input and has extremely mediocre speakers. I generally listen to classic rock, rock/pop, and some jazz. I would like a system that provides a rich, clear sound and will almost always be using my iPhone to play the music. I drive the car myself and my budget is around Rs 35,000.

My research so far suggests that Kenwood HUs are amongst the best and so I am considering the DPX-U5120. I was wondering if the DPX-U5130BT is much of a step-up and if the 5120 compares well with it? I remember reading somewhere on the forum that 1DIN HUs are apparently better than 2DIN ones. Is this true and, if so, could you guys recommend a HU that goes well with the red and white lights found inside the Polo?

I am completely at a loss as far as the speakers go except that many members recommend component speakers in the front and coaxials for the rear. If I went with such a setup then would I need an amplifier? Which speakers would you guys recommend and which cables should I use? To add to the flurry of questions, is it true that upgrading the ICE and installing new speakers can void my warranty and, if so, what steps should I take to avoid that?

Getting a good audio setup for the car seems to be a complicated task given the number of components and possible permutation combinations involved! I am surprised that no company has come up with a robust, simple end-to-end solution that would work fine for casual listeners who appreciate good sound quality but do not have the expertise or requirements of an audiophile.
Narial Taster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 19:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ICE recommendations for Polo 1.6

If only, you'd have searched before check this thread out for more, the same car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...olo-1-6-a.html
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 22:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
If only, you'd have searched before check this thread out for more, the same car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...olo-1-6-a.html
I did check that thread out but unlike its creator I do not listen to hip-hop or house music, nor do I want a bass heavy setup. Also, I do not wish to shell out the Rs 1.70 lakh that he did!
Old 15th July 2013, 17:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narial Taster View Post
Hi guys,

Here's another (!) thread about an ICE upgrade for a Polo but since everyone has their own requirements and tastes I guess it is justified. I am a relative noob as far as ICE systems go so please bear with me! I am looking to replace the stock system that came with my Polo 1.6 Highline which, shockingly, doesn't support aux input and has extremely mediocre speakers. I generally listen to classic rock, rock/pop, and some jazz. I would like a system that provides a rich, clear sound and will almost always be using my iPhone to play the music. I drive the car myself and my budget is around Rs 35,000.

My research so far suggests that Kenwood HUs are amongst the best and so I am considering the DPX-U5120. I was wondering if the DPX-U5130BT is much of a step-up and if the 5120 compares well with it? I remember reading somewhere on the forum that 1DIN HUs are apparently better than 2DIN ones. Is this true and, if so, could you guys recommend a HU that goes well with the red and white lights found inside the Polo?

I am completely at a loss as far as the speakers go except that many members recommend component speakers in the front and coaxials for the rear. If I went with such a setup then would I need an amplifier? Which speakers would you guys recommend and which cables should I use? To add to the flurry of questions, is it true that upgrading the ICE and installing new speakers can void my warranty and, if so, what steps should I take to avoid that?

Getting a good audio setup for the car seems to be a complicated task given the number of components and possible permutation combinations involved! I am surprised that no company has come up with a robust, simple end-to-end solution that would work fine for casual listeners who appreciate good sound quality but do not have the expertise or requirements of an audiophile.
Hi Nariyal welcome to the forum!
I got my entire setup done by Ramie of Soundfactor. I too was keen on getting the kenwood 5130BT but was unable to source it (because of the LBT strike 2 months ago). Anyways i went with the Ramie's suggestion of getting the Pioneer 759BT an am pretty happy with it.

As for speakers i got Powerbass components up front, coaxials at the rear (JBL i think), 12'' JL audio sub woofer and sound stream amp. I am pretty happy with the results. Attaching some pics so you can see how the HU looks.

P.S. you can PM me for details.
Attached Images

Frankazoid!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 00:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Hi Nariyal welcome to the forum!
I got my entire setup done by Ramie of Soundfactor. I too was keen on getting the kenwood 5130BT but was unable to source it (because of the LBT strike 2 months ago). Anyways i went with the Ramie's suggestion of getting the Pioneer 759BT an am pretty happy with it.

As for speakers i got Powerbass components up front, coaxials at the rear (JBL i think), 12'' JL audio sub woofer and sound stream amp. I am pretty happy with the results. Attaching some pics so you can see how the HU looks.

P.S. you can PM me for details.
Thanks Frankazoid and congratulations on what looks like a great setup. I went to a couple of the local car accessory stores today and came back even more confused! I'd like to get component speakers in the front but am not too keen on getting ones that stick out.

Here's the quote I got from Karnavati Cars about some possibilities:
Kenwood DPX-5130BT - Rs 11,300 (+ Rs 700 for a frame that looks like it cost Rs 5 to make!)
Focal IC 165 Coax - Rs 8,000 a pair
Focal components - Rs 8,000 a pair
Focal amplifier - Rs 16,000
Infinity Reference 6502ix - Rs 4,000 a pair
JBL GT-X646 - Rs 6,800
Blaupunkt GTA 470 SF - Rs 7,800

A simple web search shows that some of these prices are inflated. However, the really confusing part is in choosing what to get! I plan to steer clear of the Focal stuff as the catalogue he showed me was dated and I've seen numerous threads about the high number of fakes doing the rounds. Would getting two pairs of coaxes be the simplest solution, in that they would make the amp unnecessary? (the thought of having to fine-tune one more device seems a little daunting at the moment) How do I ensure that all the different parts play well with each other?

It would have been great to PM you Frankazoid but unfortunately I do not have the privilege to do so as a newbie. However, I'd be really grateful if you could do me a big favour. My incessant research has pointed Nisarg out as an active and highly knowledgeable Amdavadi BHPian. Could you please draw his attention to this thread (since I can't PM him) and hopefully I may get to see his setup or pick his brains in person. Thanks again!
Old 16th July 2013, 00:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narial Taster View Post
Hi guys,

Hey Narial Taster, first things first, your handle is really out of the box man!

Now, Polo is amongst the better cars in the market to put in some good ICE equipment. For starters, you don't need to put in damping material as of now, the doors and door panels are pretty sturdy, you can of course add damping later, as it always helps.

To avoid voiding warranty, go to a reputed installer, Bombay has many I am sure, there is Mr. Ajay Kamath from 4 seasons auto on the forum itself and his work needs no writing. In fact if you're reading this Mr. Kamath aka Bass&Trouble, it is my ultimate dream to get my ICE done at your place, it will take some time though!

Coming to the HU, I don't know much about HUs (been using a pioneer 1490 and have now ordered the mighty DEH 80 PRS, so didn't bother to look at anything else), I would suggest go in for a decent single din, it will cost you around 8k, at this price range all brands are equally good, JVC-Pioneer-Kenwood! anything would do, about matching the colour of interiors backlighting, most Pioneer HUs come with red backlighting which is perfectly similar to that of the Polo.

Front components, I would suggest Focal, I am using the Polyglass 170v myself (upgrade coming in real soon!), but at around 8k you'll get Access series components 165 A1 IIRC, very lively sound, great builb quality, works cool without an amplifier too. Other than focal, I would suggest you look at DLS, which is difficult to get these days, or the new Infinity Kappa 60.11, the tweeters on the earlier set were pretty bright, the new ones might be little better. Also look at Morel Tempo 6.5 inch Components, brilliant set with very lively yet not fatiguing sound signature. Helix is also good, but last I heard there are some support issues in India. There are other brands in the market too, like HAT, PHD, Rainbows and the whole lot but then you'll have to stretch your budget. One brand I really wouldn't suggest is Ground Zero, very low on built quality and SQ IMHO!

Rear fills, I for one believe in buying co-axials from the same series or at least the same brand as the front components, so that the sound signature stays uniform front and back.
Lets say 7k for rear fills.

Now with the remaining 12k, I would advice you to get yourself a decent 4 channel amplifier if you really like you music, an amplified set up sounds heaps and bounds better than a non amplified one! and components sound best when you feed them enough power. Most Component sets are rated at around 60-80 watts RMS, and a regular HU just gives out 10-12 watts RMS, its like malnutrition basically, so an amplifier really really ups the game in ICE. You might get a good deal for a really nice Focal Solid 4, that is if the dealer has some in stock as it has now been discontinued, another amp that I found impressive is the Digital Designs C4c.
Wiring, I am running Focal RCAs- 2x2 channels for 1500 Rs, and I use 4 AWG Finolex cable with an appropriate fuse. Thanks to LBM sirji for bringing in Finolex wiring to ICE. costs around 200 Rs per meter. Works absolutely fine! An easier but little expensive option is to go for a branded wiring kit for around 3k Rs.

Another suggestion I would give is to stretch your budget by just a few Ks more and get the Focal PS165 components, brilliant set of speakers and very high on the value for money proposition!

I am suggesting you to go in for a better Component set, so that your set-up is future proof and you don't need to change your set of speakers anytime soon. In the next phase, you can add a Sub-Woofer of your choice and some damping, and you're good to go!

Last edited by 599gto : 16th July 2013 at 00:34.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote