Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th September 2013, 21:38   #46

Default Re: VW Polo ICE?

Thanks DerAlte & Diamond_dawg. I guess I'll stick to 6.5" in the doors for now. Budget constraints!

What do you guys think of the following setup?

HU - Sony XAV64BT
Front speakers (components) - Infiniti Kappa 60.11cs
Rear speakers (coaxials) - Infiniti Kappa 62.11i

What would be a good 4-channel amplifier to go with the above setup? I was looking at the JBL GTO504EZ, but it seems the RMS voltage that can provide is 75W at 2 ohms, whereas the Inifiniti components are rated at 90W RMS. Given that the budget is approx. 25-30k for the speakers, amplifiers, damping (if required) & wiring, what should I go in for?

Extremely confused!
saaket_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 23:40   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaket_89 View Post
What would be a good 4-channel amplifier to go with the above setup? I was looking at the JBL GTO504EZ, but it seems the RMS voltage that can provide is 75W at 2 ohms, whereas the Inifiniti components are rated at 90W RMS. Given that the budget is approx. 25-30k for the speakers, amplifiers, damping (if required) & wiring, what should I go in for?

Extremely confused!
IMO you would be fine at 75W RMS for the comp and coax! plus the coax is rated for 75 so if you get something with more RMS power, make sure to tune it right or you could blow up the co-ax!

My personal fav is the Rockford Fosgate P400X4, don't know if it available or not. but if you can source it that would be wonderful

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...%5BIgnore%5D=1
Diamond_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 20:44   #48

Ok so I visited "Car Cupid" in Pune today to get an idea of the kind of setup I may be looking at. The following was the outcome:

Amplifier (Don't remember the model numbers)
1) Boston (4 channel, 80W RMS @ 4 ohms). Approx. Rs. 8000.
2) JVC (4 channel). Approx. Rs. 8000.

Front Speakers (Components)
1) Kicker DS65.2 - Rs. 7200
2) Blaupunkt Velocity VC652 - Rs. 6500
3) Rockford Fosgate R16-S - Rs. 6800
4) Nakamichi SP CS68 - Rs. 10300

Rear Speakers (Coaxials)
1) Kicker DS65 - Rs. 4400
2) Rockford Fosgate R167S - Rs. 3200

He also offered a combo is Morel Dotech Ovation 6 + Morel Tempo 6 for Rs. 24000.

Given that my budget is 25k, are the Morels worth extending it by about 10k? If I decide to stick to the budget, which if the above options should I go in for?
saaket_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 11:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaket_89 View Post
Ok so I visited "Car Cupid" in Pune today to get an idea ...
Look up a couple of other places. This place seems to have premium prices. There are plenty of other choices of brands in the market. Pune TBHPians, please help @saaket_89.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 13:54   #50
BHPian

During my last visit to VW service center 2 weeks back, I was shown a head unit by Nippon made exclusively for Polo/Vento. It looked exactly like the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835. Since I was in a hurry, did not get time to check out all the features. It has a 6 or 7" touch screen with GPS capability ( the guy at the spare parts shop could not confirm whether the box has a GPS receiver or need an extra purchase). It's selling for 32,000 INR !
Anyone here using this or came across it?
sajusherief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 20:55   #51
BHPian

Question ICE advice for SQ setup for Polo GT TDi

I recently (a little over 2 months back) bought a Flash Red Polo GT TDi (woot!!) and have been thoroughly enjoying every moment I spend with her (lovingly named "Gulabbo"). The stock ICE is nothing to write home about. Hence, the need for a new setup.

Although I'm an eclectic listener, I'm not a fan of extremely loud music (volume wise and taste wise). I listen to everything from ghazals to bollywood numbers to hip-hop, rock, metal, fusion, instrumental and so on. I do so at moderate to high levels - enough to drown out the sounds of traffic and the road. I do crank it up at times depending on the song/mood/company around but not often.

To give you an idea of what kind of a setup I'm coming from (from my 3 year old SX4) -

JVC KW-XR810 double-din headunit
Pioneer GM-6200F amplifier (60Wx4 @ 4ohms)
Morel Maxximo 6.5" front component speakers
Morel Maxximo 6.5" rear coaxials
JBL 12" subwoofer (not sure of the model but it was bought in 2007 for my Palio) in a sealed enclosure

After listening to the Morels over the last few years, I have fallen in love with their sound signature - laid-back, warm-sounding, yet "open" (not muffled/muted - pardon my ignorance about ICE parlance) while not sounding too bright (I don't like overly bright/shrill setups). I wish to continue along the same lines as far as possible.

FYI - I'm not averse to porting over stuff (maybe the subwoofer, coaxials, etc.) from my existing setup into the new car.

Ok .. on to the setup in question for which I have started this thread.
During a recent US visit, I acquired the following for the new setup for Gulabbo -

Pioneer GM-D8604 4-channel amp - FD class 100Wx4 @ 4ohms
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eries/GM-D8604

JVC KW-R900BT double-din headunit - 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC, TA, 5V pre-outs
http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.js...hId=148&page=1

I got a very good deal on the above items ($280 for both) which I think suit my listening needs very well.

Now, I'm on the hunt for -
1. a good amplifier kit with quality RCAs
2. set of components that would complement the amp well (around 100W @ 4ohms) and align with my taste (see blab above about Morels)
3. set of coaxials to act a "fillers" for the rear - main focus of the soundstage will be "moi" at the driver's seat
4. subwoofer - I'm thinking I'll do it later .. and only if I really feel it's missing for my choice in music. There were several periods of time when I had disconnected my subwoofer in the SX4 and Palio and I only ever "missed it" on certain genres. Of course, you could feel that the bass wasn't there but you know what I mean. In short, subwoofer - not a priority.

Of course, all 4 doors (and the hatch if needed) will be damped.

For the component speakers, I was thinking of Morel Tempo but I hear they have been discontinued in India (?).

My budget is 25K maximum (yes, I'm talking to you TBHP expenditure catalysts ) - this includes the additional equipment I would need and the damping costs. Like I mentioned above, if carrying over the Maxximo coaxials from my SX4 means more budget for my components, then I can do that too. Similarly, I could carry over the JBL 12" subwoofer too, if that makes sense.
But, I would rather have a great-sounding setup with 4 amp-powered speakers than get the subwoofer into the equation. This would mean more boot space for weekend trips too.

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Last edited by etchemkay : 11th February 2014 at 20:56.
etchemkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2014, 16:41   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ICE advice for SQ setup for Polo GT TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
... Polo GT TDi ...
JVC KW-XR810 double-din headunit
Pioneer GM-6200F amplifier (60Wx4 @ 4ohms)
Morel Maxximo 6.5" front component speakers
Morel Maxximo 6.5" rear coaxials
JBL 12" subwoofer (not sure of the model but it was bought in 2007 for my Palio) in a sealed enclosure

... Pioneer GM-D8604 4-channel amp - FD class 100Wx4 @ 4ohms...

... JVC KW-R900BT double-din headunit ...

1. a good amplifier kit with quality RCAs
2. set of components that would complement the amp well (around 100W @ 4ohms) and align with my taste (see blab above about Morels)
3. set of coaxials to act a "fillers" for the rear - main focus of the soundstage will be "moi" at the driver's seat
4. subwoofer - I'm thinking I'll do it later ...
From what you have described, you seem to have all of what you need already - except for the speaker and RCA cables. For power cables, you can use a reputed brand of teflon-coated multi-core household cables like Havells etc. - no need to hunt for a kit for that.

For RCA cables, try Scosche. Ditto for speaker cables. Or even better, get a couple of cables fabricated using high-grade screened twisted coax cables and Neutrik connectors.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 02:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
From what you have described, you seem to have all of what you need already - except for the speaker and RCA cables. For power cables, you can use a reputed brand of teflon-coated multi-core household cables like Havells etc. - no need to hunt for a kit for that.

For RCA cables, try Scosche. Ditto for speaker cables. Or even better, get a couple of cables fabricated using high-grade screened twisted coax cables and Neutrik connectors.
Thanks for the suggestions, DerAlte. They make sense. I will probably follow the same.

Regarding speakers, anyone has any suggestions for warm/natural sounding 6.5" component speaker systems north of 100w RMS @ 4 ohms costing around 20k? Same for coax speakers?

I enquired with Car Cupid in Pune and got a quote of 21.5k for the Tempo series components (not sure whether they are the cheaper 6x @ 80w RMS or the more expensive 6 series @ 120w RMS). Is this a good deal assuming the price is for the 6 and not the 6x?
etchemkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 14:07   #54
BHPian

I finally got my ICE setup done on last Friday 14th Feb - a Valentine's gift to the newest gal in my life - Gulabbo

The final equipment -
HU - JVC KW-R900BT
Amp - Pioneer GM-D8604
Fronts - Morel Dotech Ovation 6 component speakers (140W RMS)
Rears - Morel Tempo 6C coaxial speakers (110W RMS)
Wiring - 4ga "Bassfx" battery wiring, Scosche RCAs (did not go for an amplifier kit)
Damping - None. The folks at Car Cupid convinced me that the Polo doors are of a very solid build and I won't need any damping. Decided to skip it for now and get it done later if needed.

I bought everything except for the HU and the amplifier from Car Cupid on Sus Road, Pune. I also got the install done from them too. The install got completed late on Friday (around 9:30pm) so I did not get much time to fiddle with and tune it. Only did some basic testing before leaving for home that night.

At that point, I felt like something was amiss -
- the rear speakers were overpowering the fronts
- the highs from the tweeters felt harsh and overly bright
- making TA adjustments in the HU did not seem to have much/any effect
- overall it didn't sound quite "right"
I let it go till I got some time to tune things to my taste

On Saturday morning, I met up with some TBHPians for a Lavasa drive. Even while doing a demo of the ICE setup for them, most tracks sounded "off". We collectively put it down to bad quality media (not 320kbps). I started to get a bit anxious thinking something was either wrong with my choice of equipment or with the install itself. While doing some further testing (basic fader/balance), I realised that the front right speaker was not working at all. I went back to Car Cupid, and there we realized that the speaker connection for the front-right speaker had come off.

Once the speaker connection was fixed, the overall sound was much much improved and was really sounding like I had imagined it would.

Also, shockingly, I noticed that the sun-film for the driver's side window had been torn. There was also a rubbing sound when the window was wound down more than half-way. We found out that one of the screws for the crossover was too long and was rubbing against the window when it was wound down all the way. Once the screw was replaced, no sound. I still have to get the film for that window replaced at Car Cupid (free of cost obviously).

As per advice from @sukiwa, I'm currently running the following settings for the first 100 hours of speaker run-in -
amplifier - medium gain for all channels
HU - all settings flat, flat EQ, loudness off, etc.
volume - typical listening at 15-20 level

The speakers seem to be opening up already and sound quite good to my ears regardless of the genre being played -
- tight, non-boomy bass
- mellow, not-shrill highs
- strong mids
- vocals, guitars, etc. sound so good!

After fiddling with TA settings, I now get the feeling the sounds are emanating from around the middle of the dashboard. I would like to get to a point where the soundstage is further behind - emanating from a little further beyond the dash (if possible).

Overall, I'm quite happy with the way the ICE in my car has turned out in the end.

Total Cost - 32K (except for the HU and amplifier which were sourced from US) - exceeded my budget by 7K
Grand Total Cost - 32K + 9K (HU) + 9K (amp) = 50K
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 12:43   #55
BHPian

Post Re: ICE recommendations for Polo 1.6

Hi Frankazoid,

Could you please let me know where Soundfactor is located, I am also looking for an upgrade and I really liked your set up, hope it sounds well too.

Also if you dont mind request you to let me know the cost of the whole set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Hi Nariyal welcome to the forum!
I got my entire setup done by Ramie of Soundfactor. I too was keen on getting the kenwood 5130BT but was unable to source it (because of the LBT strike 2 months ago). Anyways i went with the Ramie's suggestion of getting the Pioneer 759BT an am pretty happy with it.

As for speakers i got Powerbass components up front, coaxials at the rear (JBL i think), 12'' JL audio sub woofer and sound stream amp. I am pretty happy with the results. Attaching some pics so you can see how the HU looks.

P.S. you can PM me for details.
pillaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 14:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ICE recommendations for Polo 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillaian View Post
... Could you please let me know where Soundfactor is located, ...
The location and contact details are given in this thread (ICE & other basic Accessories- Sound Factor) - see last post.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 16:53   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
I finally got my ICE setup done on last Friday 14th Feb - a Valentine's gift to the newest gal in my life - Gulabbo
Do your steering mounted controls work with the new HU?
Hells_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 19:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Do your steering mounted controls work with the new HU?
I was told I will need a separate connector (around 2k cost) to enable the steering controls. Since I am not used to or very interested in those controls, I did not bother getting it done.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 00:12   #59
BHPian

Hi pillian sorry for the late reply. Here you go
Hi,Sound Factor workshop has been shifted to B2,Sai Vatika,Opp.Delhi Darbar Inn Hotel,Western Highway,Kashimira- Thane Dist.401104,Thanks - Ramie(9821134304)
Frankazoid!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 16:05   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankazoid!!! View Post
Hi pillian sorry for the late reply. Here you go
Hi,Sound Factor workshop has been shifted to B2,Sai Vatika,Opp.Delhi Darbar Inn Hotel,Western Highway,Kashimira- Thane Dist.401104,Thanks - Ramie(9821134304)
Thank you Frankazoid for the updated address, I will give Ramie a call before I head out.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
pillaian is offline   Reply With Quote