Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd September 2010, 13:19   #31
BHPian

Default All decked up but nowhere to go..Yet!

This is how it looks when the curtains are rolled up...

Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_11.jpg

...and when the curtains come down!

Now... Playing at a FIESTA Near You...In Ultra-wide Cinemascope-making_12.jpg
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Would like to know by how much in % terms is the boot space compromised by this set up? Is there some kind of protection of the systems in the boot to prevent any untoward contact with the luggage?
As mentioned in my previous post, the space eaten is hardly 6-8 inches from the back since that is the only space the Kicker sub base requires.
Now I am actually worried on the protection part! Need some jugaad to overcome this. Would be exploring what other guys have done, preferably, married-family people who actually use the boot and not the bachelor kinds, who convert the rear passenger seat as a boot/luggage area

Quote:
I think you should have started the thread as a tele-serial rather than a cineam coz the pics and the posts are coming serially. I have to keep refreshing the pages to see for any new posts.
Well, to fund the fetish, I need to work sometimes! Last 2 days have been real bad on the work front..unexpected meetings and all! Going slow & steady
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
You are using 2 x Focal Solid 4 amps, right? So 1 channel of 1 of the amps is unused, I presume?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Ajay, that channel is being used to power the Pioneer center channel speaker. And yes, there are two Solid 4s.
I just read this again and you are right. One of the channels of the second amp that's connected to the sub is unused. Any suggestions on how it can be utilized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
The actor during the initial rehearsal turned out to be quirky and refused to stick to the script. Took a couple of supporting actors down as well. Must have been an off-day for the guy.
I must say I have never seen or heard of a HU that erases USBs so cleanly. Good thing I did not plug in mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Sanjay,

Would like to know by how much in % terms is the boot space compromised by this set up?
Only about 6 inches of the boot space at the rear is lost. That's the length of the shallow sub.

Quote:
Now I am actually worried on the protection part! Need some jugaad to overcome this. Would be exploring what other guys have done, preferably, married-family people who actually use the boot and not the bachelor kinds, who convert the rear passenger seat as a boot/luggage area
You can get the grill for the sub but you saw how ugly it looked. Spoils the whole look. You could get a plexiglass wall in front of the crossovers. Not really needed unless you regularly carry heavy luggage in the boot. Normal shopping bags won't impact anything.

So are the theatrics over? When are we getting an actual review etc? And where is the video?

Last edited by Gilead : 22nd September 2010 at 14:02.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

@ Sanjay, I am sure you got what you wanted! Theater on wheels

The quality of install looks perfect! Cant wait to audition it.
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I just read this again and you are right. One of the channels of the second amp that's connected to the sub is unused. Any suggestions on how it can be utilized?
What is bi-amping / bi-wiring? Going by my home-theater system where the front left/right speakers are bi-amped (the rear left/right surround connections are used up for the same), will the same thing work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead
So are the theatrics over? When are we getting an actual review etc? And where is the video?
Coming up..coming up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
@ Sanjay, I am sure you got what you wanted! Theater on wheels

The quality of install looks perfect! Cant wait to audition it.
Will love to set it up. It will be great if we can meet up at Powerzone itself sometime during the weekend! Few sets of experienced ears will do me a world of good at the workshop so that any shortcomings can be taken care of then and there. The time installation finally got over, no one was around.

The car has to be taken to Powerzone anyways for some final finishing up touches.
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is bi-amping / bi-wiring? Going by my home-theater system where the front left/right speakers are bi-amped (the rear left/right surround connections are used up for the same), will the same thing work?
The JL crossovers support bi-amping. You can connect 4 channels of one Solid 4 to just the front speakers alone. 2 channels for each crossover. That would make them perform even better.

But if you bi-amp the fronts, you would need two channels for the rear JLs which you don't have. You have only one channel left unless the Pioneer can be powered by the HU. I don't think it would sound that great if powered by the HU.

I am bi-amping the fronts if and when I do get a mono.

Last edited by Gilead : 22nd September 2010 at 14:23.
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:21   #37
BHPian

@sanjayc: hot ICE you have there! the clarity of sound is just amazing. hope all is well with the head unit? the 8036bt. the boot setup is neat without a lot of confusion.
jagxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:33   #38
BHPian

Jag, the 8036bt has been dumped. Nippon refused to supply a replacement for the defective unit and were insisting on repairing the same. Now I have settled for a jvc.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:37   #39
BHPian

^^

Amazing setup you've got. I am told that kenny was bought by Gilead. Whats the difference in SQ noticed on both the HUs apart from playing 5.1? Waiting to audition many setups along with your's
whizzkid_ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Sanju the boot looks very neat considering the number of 'weapons' fitted inside. You have also done the damping which mutes any further posts by anyone asking "no damping?" Clever.

If video is a serious priority, why not think about the roof folding screen, the kind what you see in flights ? I have seen few installations of the same and it really looks perfect. You cant watch it by any chance while driving, people sitting in the rear will strain to see the screen at the gear knob level too. Just a thought.

Last edited by shajufx : 22nd September 2010 at 16:56.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid_ram View Post
I am told that kenny was bought by Gilead. Whats the difference in SQ noticed on both the HUs apart from playing 5.1? Waiting to audition many setups along with your's
Gilead has a separate 1-din Kenny bought quite some time back. Kenny seems to have an edge - at an extra 25K, it better be!! (un)Fortunately when I auditioned the Kenny, it was only for a few mins (since it was buggy and still not fitted into the dash - hence was being played by keeping it on the lap), hence am not in a correct position to compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
If video is a serious priority, why not think about the roof folding screen, the kind what you see in flights ? I have seen few installations of the same and it really looks perfect. You cant watch it by any chance while driving, people sitting in the rear will strain to see the screen at the gear knob level too. Just a thought.
You are right about this. A future upgrade is planned - for screens fitted into the rear seat headrests. I had fitted the roof mounted one in my Ikon, just days before selling it off - the problem with the roof mounted one is that it cannot be viewed comfortably by the front seat occupant, and when it is down, it completely blocks the rear view mirror, IMO.

The video is primarily for the kids, With 3 kids, there is extreme lack of consensus on which music track to be played - hopefully, few divx will keep them engaged. I have no inclination to watch skimpily clad babes on a 5 incher, that I will watch at home
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In some of my installs, I've used the spare channel to drive a passively crossed over small subwoofer driver dedicated for the center channel, so that center is full range. In yet others, used two drivers for center channel. But those weren't regular cars. RVs. Nothing more can be done here.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sanjay

i had subscribed to your movie streaming (sometimes it gets into buffering as well) since you started the thread

you have made excellent progress with your install. it looks very neat and clean. once your videoscreens are installed you will have a theater on the move. Your kids would surely love it.

Does your HU support Wifi ?,

if yes, it would help to download the content from your home pc into car directly. i think it would be a worthwhile feature to have.

if your HU does not support it, then when you are buying videoscreens, you can look for displays with built in Wifi and memory.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzkid_ram View Post
I am told that kenny was bought by Gilead.
Why will I buy the Kenwood. It costs almost as much as my entire setup dude. Only the recommendation for the 8036BT came from me.

When are you coming to Chennai for the auditions?
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:08   #45
BHPian

Naiiiseeee!!! Now this requires another Chennai drive!! What say Shaju??

I did not think you were serious about getting the ICE done up. Must be Gilead's influence!
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote