Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 22nd October 2010, 15:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

^^ Dr.Boom, it was the whole wiring installation that was at fault and caused all the trouble. The amp is doing its job really well!

Its a thing of the past for me. I have got superb learning from the whole experience with my previous installer.

Now its time for me to move on and look at making things better in my setup. I have run this setup for close to a month now and I need your suggestions to improve the whole ICE experience in my car!

A few feedbacks that I found myself with the current setup:

1. JBL GT5-12 SW:
Its very slow & boomy. I need a better SW. I need something LOUD, really LOUD
The G5 were to my taste, but I am unable to find a 12" in the market. I have tried in Singapore, US & UK through my friend. No luck yet.

- Any SW that can be as good as the G5?
- How about the Infinity Kappa 120.9?

2. Damping
My previous installer gave me a few damping tips. He mentioned the damping material to be atleast 3MM thick to get the best effect of damping.

1. NoiseKill is supposed to be 1MM thickness, will it make a difference if I go for thicker material compared to NoiseKill?
2. I got a quote for DLS Damping material costing 2960/- for a single door from Speedfreaks in Anna Nagar through my friend. How good is DLS & also the price quoted?

3. Reinstallation of the wiring with good quality stuff
This is one major concern for me. I have used stuff which are from the local market. I am worried about the electricals in my car. I need better power cables for the amp and also a good RCA to replace the local make Kicker that I have used.

4. Bad mounting of the front comps in the door
There is a mild vibration heard when I play heavy MIDs. I guess, the mountings have to be checked and proper spacers have to be used. I will be getting this work done when I do the damping.

@ Sankar, I have the 'Caliber Audio' RCA with me. I will post a picture of that when I reach home. I thought I threw it in my new installer's place. But, he had put every trash in a carry bag and secured it in my car's boot.

@ Mods, kindly edit the thread title as 'Alt Noise, due to shoddy installation by PowerZone'.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
A few feedbacks that I found myself with the current setup:

1. JBL GT5-12 SW:
The G5 were to my taste, but I am unable to find a 12" in the market. I have tried in Singapore, US & UK through my friend. No luck yet.

2. Damping
My previous installer gave me a few damping tips. He mentioned the damping material to be atleast 3MM thick to get the best effect of damping.

1. NoiseKill is supposed to be 1MM thickness, will it make a difference if I go for thicker material compared to NoiseKill?
2. I got a quote for DLS Damping material costing 2960/- for a single door from Speedfreaks in Anna Nagar through my friend. How good is DLS & also the price quoted?

3. Reinstallation of the wiring with good quality stuff
This is one major concern for me. I have used stuff which are from the local market. I am worried about the electricals in my car. I need better power cables for the amp and also a good RCA to replace the local make Kicker that I have used.

4. Bad mounting of the front comps in the door
There is a mild vibration heard when I play heavy MIDs. I guess, the mountings have to be checked and proper spacers have to be used. I will be getting this work done when I do the damping.

1. Firstly, We need a budget to work with . The Second part is , even if i say there are better subs than G5 or Kappa, not necessarily you should believe it. It is very easy to say the run of mill statement "Audition before you choose", but the truth is how many of us have a chance to audition different subs in quick succession. Hence my take is, if you like the G5, (since you ve already heard it) go for it. If you are willing to experiment do some homework and choose one that appeals to you. You can see the reviews of Infinity Ref, Kappa, ID, IDQ, GZXD AL, etc..

2. From what i ve heard, DLS dampings are pricey at the same time extremely good. Noise kill can give you 2 doors of damping for a little more than 2950. It however is quite thin when compared to DLS. Try Dynamat Extreme, Wurtz

3. If i were you, this would have been way up my priority list.

4. Vibration doesn mean bad mounting. It means you need (more) damping. Bad mounting will mostly likely result in suppressed / muddy sound, as the surround of the driver is pressed against door / spacer.

Quote:

@ Mods, kindly edit the thread title as 'Alt Noise, due to shoddy installation by PowerZone'.
Well, i ve done installs at various places, from local GP road stuff to some dedicated ICE shops. I ve got alternator whines quite lot of times, and i know its very irritating to live with.

I put the blame on myself of not being aware enough, and hence wont condemn the installer forever
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:13   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. Damping
If you go for BA G5 subwoofer, you have to go for a SVC 4 ohm sub, since your amp (you just have one 4 ch amp, right?) wont drive anything lower than that. If you want to go really loud, consider getting a mono to drive a compatible sub.

Thicker damping is better, but then so is the material it is made of. For example, there are 3mm thick, rigid, asphalt-based damping products that barely even stick properly to the surface. If you can afford it, Dynamat Xtreme is amongst the best available.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 03:03   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. JBL GT5-12 SW:

A sub can sound at it's best only when it's matched with the right enclosure.
Both G5 and kappa are excellent sub. They both can play clean and work the best in both sealed and ported enclosure. Both the subs have higher sensitivity too.
IF you could find a G5 go for it but if not Kappa will be equally an excellent sub.
Going loud will require lots of power but a efficient sub in a optimally designed enclosure can do the trick too.
Get a mono amp to take advantage of playing them at 2ohms. Kappa adds additional 3db at 2ohms than what it does at 4ohms ( as per their manual ).

But too make that loud bass line sound clean you would not good amount of damping.

P.S: I suppose woofersetc.com still have the G5 in stock. You could mail them and find out, however be prepared for heavy shipping cost.

Last edited by Invinsible : 24th October 2010 at 03:05.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 09:37   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

anachronix, 12" BA G5 is available with quite a few ebay sellers. Check them out.
Btw my info is a month old (thats when i checked last).
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 13:40   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post

P.S: I suppose woofersetc.com still have the G5 in stock. You could mail them and find out, however be prepared for heavy shipping cost.
I tried mailing woofersetc.com few months back for the G5, they said though they have them listed they do not have stock of the G5's.

G5's have run out of stock.

The other website that you can try is Car Audio Video - Car Subwoofers - Car Speakers and Amplifiers.
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 16:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Kappa adds additional 3db at 2ohms than what it does at 4ohms ( as per their manual ).
Any sub's 2 ohm version will show 3dB higher sensitivity on paper than the exact same sub's 4 ohm version. This is because the measurement conditions remain the same.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 22:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Any sub's 2 ohm version will show 3dB higher sensitivity on paper than the exact same sub's 4 ohm version. This is because the measurement conditions remain the same.
Yup Ajay, but in this case Le remains the same whether it is 4ohm or 2ohm.
I pay more attention to Le as well apart from other specs.

Last edited by Invinsible : 24th October 2010 at 22:45.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
1. Firstly, We need a budget to work with .
If its going to cost me above 15K, I would prefer to source them from US. I can go upto 500$ in that case

Quote:
The Second part is , even if i say there are better subs than G5 or Kappa, not necessarily you should believe it. It is very easy to say the run of mill statement "Audition before you choose", but the truth is how many of us have a chance to audition different subs in quick succession. Hence my take is, if you like the G5, (since you ve already heard it) go for it.
Talking about availability of the G5, I have very little chance to buy what I like. Hence, I was looking at option. I am searching for the G5 12" for almost 4 months now. Finally, decided to give up on the G5 and look at other options.

Quote:
If you are willing to experiment do some homework and choose one that appeals to you. You can see the reviews of Infinity Ref, Kappa, ID, IDQ, GZXD AL, etc..
Can you help me with some audition, if possible? It would be of great help!

Quote:
2. From what i ve heard, DLS dampings are pricey at the same time extremely good. Noise kill can give you 2 doors of damping for a little more than 2950. It however is quite thin when compared to DLS. Try Dynamat Extreme, Wurtz
If NoiseKill is really worth the price, I would go for it. I was skeptical about the effectiveness of using a 1MM sheet.

Quote:
3. If i were you, this would have been way up my priority list.
Everything we learn is from an experience, be it our own experience or from other's. I have learnt to prioritise things when it comes to ICE. This is a new territory for me. I have loads of things to learn.

Quote:
4. Vibration doesn mean bad mounting. It means you need (more) damping. Bad mounting will mostly likely result in suppressed / muddy sound, as the surround of the driver is pressed against door / spacer.
I have to get it checked. Its just what my inexperienced mind felt.

Quote:
Well, i ve done installs at various places, from local GP road stuff to some dedicated ICE shops. I ve got alternator whines quite lot of times, and i know its very irritating to live with.
If the basics are done right, there wouldnt have been any problem. The basics were messed up and I did overlook a few things by simply 'trusting' him. My mistake obviously!

Quote:
I put the blame on myself of not being aware enough, and hence wont condemn the installer forever
Why should I blame myself? For being a noob in ICE install? Or does it mean I have to be an ICE expert to have a good ICE in my car?

Still, I have quoted my own mistakes in my post here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post2092575

I dont have any intentions to beat the dead horse forever, my intention was to correct the misleading thread title which was there earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
anachronix, 12" BA G5 is available with quite a few ebay sellers. Check them out.
Btw my info is a month old (thats when i checked last).
I had checked this long back. They are not available anywhere!

@ Invincible, your review on the 120.9 got me really interested with the Kappa. I hope to audition it before I purchase. Thanks!

A monoblock is coming soon (Kappa One?), I will be running a Blaupunkt GT4 MKII 400W 2 Channel amp for now to drive the sub. This amp is from my previous setup.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:23   #70
BHPian

Quote:
@ Invincible, your review on the 120.9 got me really interested with the Kappa. I hope to audition it before I purchase. Thanks!
As far as I remember only Invincible has this sub. I think nobody from Chennai we know of in this forum has this sub ? How you planning to do the audition ?

Last edited by donarun : 25th October 2010 at 12:25.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote