Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd October 2010, 20:59   #1
BHPian

Default ICE'ing wrapping the Oyster

iGuys, *Happly ICED*

After days of reading posts/threads and endless discussions with ICE gurus, I have taken finally the plunge and wrapped my oyster with ICE. Being an ICE newbie I would like to thanks everyone who have helped me with this beautiful install.

ICE installation location: POWER ZONE (Royapetta)

Parts: HU was sourced from Chandru automobiles in GP road.

* A special thanks to Vijay aka Gilead for his detailed report on the above vendors.

History & Timeline: I was'nt really an audio buff. All I wanted as simple and sweet music. At the time when I was buying a new hatch for myself I was in a serious dilemma on deciding between the Magna and Sportz trims. After much of discussions I had picked Sportz trim thinking I would be satisfied with the OE HU. But after a few months I was extremely unsatisfied and disappointed with the quality of OE HU and the crappy OE speakers.

I finally decided it was time to talk with the ICE gurus which was followed by days of googling and understanding the terminologies. I called up Power Zone aka Saravana and asked him for his opinion on the grade. Saravana gave me some suggestions based on mu budget. He also said that he can make a custom dashkit for 3k but I wasnt convinced and told him that I would upgrade if and only if I can get the OE dashkit.

Vola! the very next day Saravana was able to source the entire dashkit for i10 magna (yes along with the clock) for 3.2K which I think is the cheapest. For all you know the entire dashkit costs a whooping 8k along with the clock. I got the Magna dashkit installed and my Oyster was ready for the ICE wrap.

Next phase was deciding the HU, Components and rear fill. I talked with Saravana and told him my budget. After browsing through several other forums, I came up with some brands. This lead to a lot of confusion as most of them didnt fit my budget. One fine day I told Saravana that I would leave the entire configuration to him. All I wanted was crystal clear music with no *or little* distortion when I listen to my favorite numbers.

Budget: 30k which should include the following:

1. Change the front fascia of the i10 OE HU to accommodate aftermarket HU.
2. New aftermarket HU
3. Decent components
4. Good coaxials
5. Decent sub + Amp + wiring
6. Installation cost

Well the best part of it was that I stuck to the budget! total cost of my install came upto 30,500 rs.

What finally went into the ICE wrap:

HU - Pioneer 5250
Front Stage: Kicker DS600.2 Component System
Rear Fill: OE 2 way speakers
Sub Stage: Kicker DX200.4 - 4-Channel AMP
Polk-Sub 8'' - 4th order bandpass

On a Saturday Morning (25.09.2010) I left my vehicle with Saravana at 9:30am, gave him a headsup on my budget and left. When I pickedup the car: As they say, rest is all history. Sit back, relax and enjoy the pictures.

Feedback on the install: The installation was extremely professional. Care was taken that there isnt any damage to the dash/boot/doors during the install.

Sound quality is superb and I am extremely happy with the fact that I can play my favorite numbers with a smile on my face.

Some points noted:

-> Saravana is patient and listens to his customers. You can just drop your car, tell him the budget and when you pick it up you would surely be satisfied.

-> He does'nt over sell any one product.

Attached Thumbnails
ICE'ing wrapping the Oyster-4-channel-kicker-polk-sub.jpg  

ICE'ing wrapping the Oyster-kicker-4-channel-amp.jpg  

ICE'ing wrapping the Oyster-band-pass-sub-polk-8inches.jpg  

ICE'ing wrapping the Oyster-cockpit.jpg  

ICE'ing wrapping the Oyster-kicker-tweeter.jpg  

ICE'ing wrapping the Oyster-blur-5250.jpg  

Last edited by MutantX : 3rd October 2010 at 21:00.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:09   #2
BHPian

@Mutantx - Good to see that you are enjoying your setup. Can you post a detailed review on the sound. I am still researching on the auditor amp which I will be going in for and your review on the kicker amp will be useful.
pras.oct25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:19   #3
BHPian

Thanks Pras. I am surely enjoying the music and setup is just awesome. Pras, we should have a ICE meet his weekend. I am sure you would deliver a better review than me.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Arun, the install looks fantastic.

The tweeter mounting looks neat and unconventional. Was it done that way 'cos they would sound bright if they were mounted in a conventional on axis location?

And what is a 4th order band pass? That looks like a ported box to me but that's where my ICE knowledge ends. I guess this enclosure was used to generate maximum bass from the 8 inch Polk.

An audition is due and hopefully we can have a meet soon. Congrats and enjoy the music.

Last edited by Gilead : 3rd October 2010 at 22:13.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Thanks Pras. I am surely enjoying the music and setup is just awesome. Pras, we should have a ICE meet his weekend. I am sure you would deliver a better review than me.
Lol my ICE knowledge itself is not that great. But yes an audition is due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Arun, the install looks fantastic.

The tweeter mounting looks neat and unconventional. Was it done that way 'cos they would sound bright if they were mounted in a conventional on axis location?

And what is a 4th order band pass? That looks like a ported box to me but that's where my ICE knowledge ends. I guess this enclosure was used to generate maximum bass from the 8 inch Polk.

An audition is due and hopefully we can have a meet soon. Congrats and enjoy the music.
I especially liked the amp install.
I was just thinking about something very basic today.
Is it not possible to reproduce the same effect a woofer would give by setting high pass to your front speakers for vocals and low pass from rear speakers to give you bass from the 4 channel amplifier? Is this going to separate the vocals from the bass as well as a speaker and sub combination will?
Old 4th October 2010, 12:25   #6
BHPian

This is Neato! Another audition concatenated in my list.
whizzkid_ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:34   #7
BHPian

Thanks Ram. Btw OT: How much did the Kenny Excelon X994 cost you? I plan to upgrade my HU in 3 months time. I might either go in for Eclipse or Kenwood X994.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy, so atlast splurged out on ICE . ICE craze is taking over Chennai, i guess.

Truly nice equipments you've got there and i hope you are enjoying your setup.

Lemme' know if you guys plan a auditon, long time i've auditioned cars.

Haven't you done the damping yet ? *Evil*
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 21:30   #9
BHPian

yeap damping is on its way. We have planned for an audition this weekend *hopefully*.

Vijay aka Gilead, SanjayC and my car is pending for an audition. Let us plan for something.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
yeap damping is on its way. We have planned for an audition this weekend *hopefully*.

Vijay aka Gilead, SanjayC and my car is pending for an audition. Let us plan for something.
Count me in for the audition. Whizzkid_ram should be invited too. I need to listen to his auditor amp.
BTW mutantx - why not try to source your damping material from the US too when your mom comes. I am trying to get dynamat through a colleagues friend. Will get it if the weight works out ok for him. It said 7 pounds for a pack of 4 sheets 12" by 36" . Vijay told me it was a good buy so am trying for it.
If it doesnt work out I will get the stuff Saravana used for sanjay's car. Since I wont be going for a woofer, I want to have my flimsy boot door damped so that I can try and capture maximum bass. Right now the bass from the back sounds kind of "hollow".
Old 4th October 2010, 22:24   #11
BHPian

yea I should ask my mom. I have a already sent her a list. I am looking first for the HU (eclipse or kenwood x996).

Pras, as for the damping - do you think it makes sense to get the same stuff (noisekill) as Gilead (vijay) had installed on his car?

Last edited by MutantX : 4th October 2010 at 22:25.
Old 5th October 2010, 09:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
yea I should ask my mom. I have a already sent her a list. I am looking first for the HU (eclipse or kenwood x996).

Pras, as for the damping - do you think it makes sense to get the same stuff (noisekill) as Gilead (vijay) had installed on his car?
I think dynamat is supposed to be better than noisekill. I think Gilead can give us better input on this.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:33   #13
BHPian

MutantX it must be either X993 or X994. X996 is still not out I believe.

If you want to get the best damping get the Dynamat Extreme bulk pack from the US. Noise Kill 36sqft costs 4000 Rupees+500 for shipping.

The 36sqft dynamat bulk pack costs 145.++$. Around 6k. Very very good.

The same thing here in Chennai costs around 9.5K++.
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 16:35   #14
BHPian

Pr_007, you got me dude . My mistake - It is X994 which I am looking for. I would try to get the eclipse, if I dont get one, I will hunt down the X994.

As for the damping, let me decide.
Old 5th October 2010, 22:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ram. Btw OT: How much did the Kenny Excelon X994 cost you? I plan to upgrade my HU in 3 months time. I might either go in for Eclipse or Kenwood X994.
The Kenny X994 costs around 10k in US. Preferably your mom could buy it through ebay & it would be free shipping mostly. My friend bought it for me.

Alternately, you could also buy it here in India with B/W as the 2010 lineup products are out. KDC-X8016BT is the same as X994. So check out the link i gave. In our country it would set you at 17k. I think tis with B/W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Whizzkid_ram should be invited too. I need to listen to his auditor amp.
Pras, I am unavailable this weekend. Don't worry, I'll turn up in to your location while I meet Gilead. Btw, Where are you placed in the city?

Quote:
You could get Noisekill bro, as i10 has better built door panels than the swift. You know, I'm suffering from rattling disease in my swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I think dynamat is supposed to be better than noisekill. I think Gilead can give us better input on this.
Ofcourse, Dynamat is definitely better than noisekill. Noisekill is 1mm in thickness, while the Dynamat is 3mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
MutantX it must be either X993 or X994. X996 is still not out I believe.
Yep, X994 is the one, not X996.

Last edited by whizzkid_ram : 5th October 2010 at 22:03.
whizzkid_ram is offline   Reply With Quote