Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th October 2010, 23:52   #1
BHPian

Default Budget ICE for A Star (AT)

Hey Guys

I've just booked an A Star (AT) VXI and was looking to get some ICE for it within a budget of 15k. Have gone through threads of Jkdas and Rahul18348 also.

My requirement: to get the maximum bass possible out of the equipment within my budget. I wouldn't mind replacing the integrated HU.

My problem: I won't be putting in a woofer (whether it comes in the budget or not) as I'll need the boot.

Since the A star comes with speaker fitments only in the doors and since I won't have a woofer, powerful 6x9's are my only chance at getting a good amount of bass. (Correct me if im wrong) would the additional 6x9's on a tray give me better bass or would powerful co axials on the doors be good enough?

Some 6x9's I've seen being spoken about on the forum and on the internet.

A. Infinity Kappa 693.9l - Have heard a lot about these speakers but also read reports of them being too bright.
B. JBL GTO 948 GTO - at 400 watts they're pretty powerful, but I've read threads where people state there to be no difference to other speakers, like say the 947.
C. Have also heard about DLS a lot.

Q2. Will any of the speakers mentioned above even come in my budget/any better options?

Q3. Noob question but do speakers with higher impedance give out better bass or is it the opposite?

I would appreciate answers/guidance from the experts.
funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 07:54   #2
BHPian

check Polk db 690. + take audition of other proven 6x9s and let u decide then
Dhams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 13:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydevil View Post
... I'll need the boot.
You could consider a 10" sub mounted in a custom fiber-glass enclosure on one side of the boot

Quote:
... powerful 6x9's are my only chance at getting a good amount of bass. (Correct me if im wrong) would the additional 6x9's on a tray give me better bass or would powerful co axials on the doors be good enough?
For good amount of bass, there is no substitute for a sub. "Powerful" 6x9 (round coaxials in doors, even less) is not in the same league even though they give a feeling of bass

Quote:
... Q3. Noob question but do speakers with higher impedance give out better bass or is it the opposite? ...
Impedance has nothing to do with amount of bass.

Lower impedance allows more power to flow, but this does not necessarily mean more bass from coaxials. Off-the-shelf coaxials are fixed impedance (3-4ohms). Only subs come with either 2, 4 or configurable impedance (dual VC; 1, 2, 4 or 8 ohms based on 2+2 ohm or 4+4 ohm VC)
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 19:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You could consider a 10" sub mounted in a custom fiber-glass enclosure on one side of the boot

For good amount of bass, there is no substitute for a sub. "Powerful" 6x9 (round coaxials in doors, even less) is not in the same league even though they give a feeling of bass
Thanks for the info Dhams and Deralte. I agree with you on this, but the reason for me not going in for a sub is cause my family won't allow it. Hence as per my knowledge 6x9's was only what I could think of.

Do you have any suggestions as to other options I may have besides the sub. I've read that boxing the 6x9's help in getting more bass out of them than from when they're on the tray.
Old 22nd October 2010, 09:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

No, putting them in boxes will give less bass generally, apart from taking away boot space.

Let us look at why your family will say no to a sub - it is the perception of nuisance and distaste towards boom-boom systems. Actually, a sub - tuned well into the system - just completes the picture. A well-tuned sub should be felt more than heard. If one has an amp that has an external bass control knob that can be mounted near the driver, it will allow you to reduce bass to a minimum when family is on-board, and set higher if you like it heavy.

If you really cannot put in a sub, you will have to make do with 6x9s on a parcel tray. The existing one needs to be replaced with something much stronger to hold the weight of the 6x9s.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

You need a subwoofer to really enjoy the music.
If its boot space that you're worried about get a 10" or 8" and put them in a sealed box. And when you need the luggage space when travelling with all on board and need the boot space, which i assume would be once in a while, take out the sub and make space for the luggage. If you're gonna put 6x9 in MDF parcel tray, it too will rob a bit of useful space in the boot area.
My suggestion is to go for good front components, 4 channel amp, and a small sub. Use the stock front speakers in the rear door.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, putting them in boxes will give less bass generally, apart from taking away boot space.

Let us look at why your family will say no to a sub - it is the perception of nuisance and distaste towards boom-boom systems. Actually, a sub - tuned well into the system - just completes the picture. A well-tuned sub should be felt more than heard. If one has an amp that has an external bass control knob that can be mounted near the driver, it will allow you to reduce bass to a minimum when family is on-board, and set higher if you like it heavy.

If you really cannot put in a sub, you will have to make do with 6x9s on a parcel tray. The existing one needs to be replaced with something much stronger to hold the weight of the 6x9s.
You got that right. I too dont like those boomy systems, just good tight bass. Well let me see if I can convince them So should I avoid taking a parcel tray from maruti as an accessory? as I would have to replace it with an MDF tray anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You need a subwoofer to really enjoy the music.
If its boot space that you're worried about get a 10" or 8" and put them in a sealed box. If you're gonna put 6x9 in MDF parcel tray, it too will rob a bit of useful space in the boot area. My suggestion is to go for good front components, 4 channel amp, and a small sub. Use the stock front speakers in the rear door.
Thanks for the input sankar, altough I did have another query. Nitrous had suggested that in order to get a good front stage it would be better to avoid placing the midrange speaker placed in the stock locations in the A Star as the sound would bounce off the windshield spoiling the image.

Now im not saying that it may fit in my budget but just for knowledge, if I were to put 3 way comps, would it be better to place midrange speakers in the doors next to the coaxials or put them in the A pillar like Mi10 did with the tweeters.

Lastly, would it be possible to have time alignment in the given budget?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to clear some confusion out of my head.
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input sankar, altough I did have another query. Nitrous had suggested that in order to get a good front stage it would be better to avoid placing the midrange speaker placed in the stock locations in the A Star as the sound would bounce off the windshield spoiling the image.
I disagree. The sound stage doesn't feel compromised at all with the setup i have in my car. I have since worked upon the mid mounting after the posts in that thread, but location is the same. The end result i have achieved is good, and off axis mounting of both the mid and the tweeter helps reduce the inherent brightness of the Focal Access kit. Plus i don't think reflecting sound from the wind shield is not always as bad.

Mounting the midrange on the APillar will not be easy in the AStar and it will block the vision unless we are talking some compact dome midranges.

Quote:
Now im not saying that it may fit in my budget but just for knowledge, if I were to put 3 way comps, would it be better to place midrange speakers in the doors next to the coaxials or put them in the A pillar like Mi10 did with the tweeters.
It would be better if you mount them on the A pillar next to the tweeter. But as i said before this is going to be tough in AStar with regular 4" cone mids with regular magnets.

Door pad is a good idea, but use an appropriately sized baffle to separate the midrange backwave from the woofer if both are going to be firing into the door cavity. Again not a problem with sealed back mids.

Quote:
Lastly, would it be possible to have time alignment in the given budget?
Within 15k you wil get HU capable of TA like the Kenwood X794 (7016?). But not the whole setup.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Door pad is a good idea, but use an appropriately sized baffle to separate the midrange backwave from the woofer if both are going to be firing into the door cavity. Again not a problem with sealed back mids.

Could you repeat that again in english please . Im sorry but im not too much of a technical guy in relation to ICE .
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Funkydevil, what 3 way components are you looking at ?

If its like Focal Access / Rainbow SLC's forget mounting them on A-Pillar. It is do-able, but surely will block a lot of visibility.

Incase you are having dome midranges in mind, then its worth the attempt.

Think Astar has stock 4" locations. why waste effort and money in fiberglassing the A-pillar. Ultimaltely if you like the sound, then hell with the theories

If Boot space is a constraint, try getting some shallow subs. Few from Kicker have decent bass.

Alternativley you can try sourcing good 8" Subs (LIke ID / IDQ)

All the best for your ICE

Last edited by Mi10 : 22nd October 2010 at 18:00.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:10   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Funkydevil, what 3 way components are you looking at ?

If its like Focal Access / Rainbow SLC's forget mounting them on A-Pillar. It is do-able, but surely will block a lot of visibility.

Incase you are having dome midranges in mind, then its worth the attempt.

Think Astar has stock 4" locations. why waste effort and money in fiberglassing the A-pillar. Ultimaltely if you like the sound, then hell with the theories

If Boot space is a constraint, try getting some shallow subs. Few from Kicker have decent bass.

Alternativley you can try sourcing good 8" Subs (LIke ID / IDQ)

All the best for your ICE
I was looking at the focals after reading about them in sankar's thread but I don't really know if it'll fit my budget.

I asked cause my ears aren't as good as you experts hence I wanted to get an idea of which place would be best for what speaker.

To me, speakers would sound good even if I were sitting on them

Altough I will take you advice and listen to them from all angels before finally putting anything in. Any suggestions for good budget 3 way comps?? tryin to get the most out of my limited budget