Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th November 2010, 18:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidious View Post
Well, I've finalized a HU - the pioneer AVH4250DVD. The person I asked quote 29000, and I'm yet to negotiate. I'm also looking to see if I can get it for cheaper elsewhere. That leaves me around 20-25k for the speakers.
why are you going for such an expensive head unit? do you want a touchscreen DVD etc?
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 12:51   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
An amplifier would help in exercising the true potential of speakers. Stretch your budget (if you can) to get a 4ch amp & sub, that would make your setup more or less complete, a move which you wont regret.
Well, in that case, I guess I will move in for a 4-channel Amp. But I don't think I can take a sub. Not right now, in any case. Unfortunately, my dad is not interested in losing ANY boot space for now. I'll have to take a rain check on the sub, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
why are you going for such an expensive head unit? do you want a touchscreen DVD etc?
I wanted a DVD. At first, I was looking at one with a motorized screen, and they were really expensive. When I started looking at double-DIN systems, this one seemed to fit in perfectly. Has all the features I want.
Of course, if you do have any other suggestions, they're most welcome.

@ALL: What is pre-out? What do I need to look out for prior to installation?
insidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 17:15   #18

Oh, and I have another question. I also own an iPhone. Is there some particular connection to give or a particular cable I need to get to make sure that the Pioneer can play songs from my iPhone as well as my iPod? Can it also play videos from the iPhone?

(I didn't want to double post, but I couldn't find a way to edit my previous post.)
Old 17th November 2010, 09:13   #19

I contacted Power Zone in Royapettah, and he quoted a completely different set-up, which totals to the same amount. He said that the components on the Hertz are a bit too bright. This is what he suggested:

HU - Pioneer AVH4250DVD - Rs. 23000
Amplifier - Focal Solid 4 (4-Channel) - Rs. 14000
Front Components - Kicker (60RMS) <Not sure about the model number> - Rs. 6000
Rear Co-Axials - MTX Thunder 6000 (100 RMS) - Rs. 6000

Can anyone throw some light on these models?
Old 17th November 2010, 10:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can anyone throw some light on these models?
While there is nothing wrong with either of these components per se the general rule for audio is that you should spend about 1/3 of your budget on speakers, 1/3 on the amp, and a little less than 1/3 on the HU (with the leftover - about 10% being used for damping, wires, install).

Is there a specific reason to spend 50% of your budget on the HU?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 10:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Is there some particular connection to give or a particular cable I need to get to make sure that the Pioneer can play songs from my iPhone as well as my iPod? Can it also play videos from the iPhone? ...
Beyond a certain vintage of iPods, all other iPhones & iPods would play through the same cable (not sure if it is bundled in Pioneer AVH4250DVD or has to bought separately).

To know whether it plays iPhone / iPod Video or not, you need to somehow access the User Manual. If the dealer has a piece, you could perhaps read it before you start bargaining. A good dealer will never refuse this.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 11:20   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Beyond a certain vintage of iPods, all other iPhones & iPods would play through the same cable (not sure if it is bundled in Pioneer AVH4250DVD or has to bought separately).

To know whether it plays iPhone / iPod Video or not, you need to somehow access the User Manual. If the dealer has a piece, you could perhaps read it before you start bargaining. A good dealer will never refuse this.
Guys check out GTO's thread on his ICE. He uses the 4250 with an ipod and found that the cable Pioneer supplies offers faster access to the ipod that 3rd party cables. Even I was surprised (a data cable should be a data cable na?) but the proof in the pudding was in comparing those cables.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, and I have another question. I also own an iPhone. Is there some particular connection to give or a particular cable I need to get to make sure that the Pioneer can play songs from my iPhone as well as my iPod? Can it also play videos from the iPhone?
The cabe you got with your iPhone should do the job. I think this HU does not support playing video from iPod / iPhone, not sure on that though.

Quote:
HU and amp are a good choice. But instead of spending 12k on kicker & MTX speakers, I would recommend 2 pairs of Infinity ref 6030 components. A pair of Infinity 6030 costs abt 6.5k with B/W. Are you not planning for a sub ?
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 19:50   #24
BHPian

The infinity reference series comps have weak midbass output - might be a crucial factor in a setup without a sub.

Try to audition a car with Blaupunkt Velocity or JBL components - I really like the blaupunkt velocity series for their excellent midbass output.

Oh! Also add the entry level illusion audio comp set to your list. I haven't heard one but it also has a lot of +ve feedback on the forum.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 01:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
The cabe you got with your iPhone should do the job. I think this HU does not support playing video from iPod / iPhone, not sure on that though.

HU and amp are a good choice. But instead of spending 12k on kicker & MTX speakers, I would recommend 2 pairs of Infinity ref 6030 components. A pair of Infinity 6030 costs abt 6.5k with B/W. Are you not planning for a sub ?
As of now, I haven't planned a sub any time soon. I know it kicks up the experience, but I don't want to lose the boot space as of now. I'm going for it at a later point.
But yeah, I'll ask the guy about Infinity as well. I think I'd like to try them out, if he has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The infinity reference series comps have weak midbass output - might be a crucial factor in a setup without a sub.

Try to audition a car with Blaupunkt Velocity or JBL components - I really like the blaupunkt velocity series for their excellent midbass output.

Oh! Also add the entry level illusion audio comp set to your list. I haven't heard one but it also has a lot of +ve feedback on the forum.
I'll take a look at them as well. I have heard a lot about Illusion, but Kicker is supposed to be really good as well. I'd like to keep my options open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
While there is nothing wrong with either of these components per se the general rule for audio is that you should spend about 1/3 of your budget on speakers, 1/3 on the amp, and a little less than 1/3 on the HU (with the leftover - about 10% being used for damping, wires, install).

Is there a specific reason to spend 50% of your budget on the HU?
Well, I wanted to go for a double-DIN HU with DVD playback as well. I could have gone for a separate screen, but this seems just a better option. As for the speaker set-up, like I said. This is just to start off with. That's the reason I'm not going for a sub as well. I'll need to set things up, and in a while, hopefully, convince my dad to sacrifice a little boot space. At that point, I'll upgrade on the speakers as well. I didn't want to go in for a different HU later, so I thought I might as well set this up right now.