Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th October 2010, 21:34   #1

Default ICE system for Swift

I have about a kazillion questions regarding the ICE system I want to fix, and no answers, so I'd really appreciate it if someone would take the time to read through this and help me out.

I've booked a Swift VDi which is due in about 2 months, and I want to get a decent ICE system I'm based at Chennai, and there are a variety of shops out here, offering a number of different products. I've set aside Rs. 1 lakh, but this can't go entirely towards the ICE - apart from the system in the car, I'm going to need a decent set of alloys, and install a remote-locking system.

I'm planning to get the remote-system factory installed by CARS India. So if any of you out there know what the required amount is for the remote-lock and the alloys together, then can you set it aside and suggest a decent system that allows me the following features?
  • HUD:
    I prefer an Alpine system, and at first I was willing to settle for a system that offered me MP3 playback, along with connectivity for my iPod as well as a USB drive. But I laid my eyes on the Philips CED750, which comes with a motorized screen, and I started looking along the same lines. The guys I looked at on GP road were offering the Philips for 18,500. I started looking along the same lines in Alpine, and they had the Alpine IVA-D106. I checked the rate with TECNOKRAT, and they said it would set me back by 66,000 for the HUD alone. I'm not sure what I should do, as spending that amount on an HUD will deter my choice for the alloys and the remote-lock. Is the Philips player good, or does someone have other suggestions?
    The same place which offered me the Philips also had an Alpine system offering MP3 playback, and iPod and USB connectivity for a total of 13,500 INCLUSIVE of front and rear speakers. Which is better - this Alpine system or the Philips CED750?
  • Speakers:
    My priority is Sound Quality first, with a decent Sound Level. I thought a combination of Component Speakers on the front, and Co-Axial speakers on the rear would do well. But I have no idea about speakers, or brands. Does it make a difference having oval-shaped speakers on the rear? I do not want to lose boot space. Can someone suggest a good combo, along with the brand and the model number, with an estimate?
  • Additional:
    Again, this is where I have no idea. Apart from the front and rear speakers, and the HUD, would I need anything else? Like I already mentioned, I was looking along the lines of an HUD with a motorized screen, but if there are any who suggest a decent LCD combined with a DVD-player, that suggestion is welcome too.
    Will an amplifier help improve sound quality? Which would you suggest, and how many channels should it have? I heard that a 4-Channel amplifier would really improve the performance of the set up, and I was wondering whether this is true.

I know I've asked a lot of questions, and it might seem quite annoying, but I'm really clueless here, and I appreciate all the help I can get. Can you please give in your suggestions, along with the name and addresses of good dealers, both for purchase and installations?

I am based in CHENNAI.

Thanks a million guys!

Cheers.
insidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. Perhaps you should look at conventional 2-DIN systems from JVC, Pioneer, etc. They would cost 20-25K
2. The Philips HU would not be bad, though IIRC this is the first time someone has mentioned it here
3. "Philips also had an Alpine system"??? Avoid! Even though Alpine maybe selling OE to Philips, it does not sound right.
4. Avoid 'bundled speakers' deals if you want good sound quality
5. Go for a pair of components in front - JBL, Infinity, Illusion, Auditor, Hertz, Boston, Blaupunkt etc. - wide variety, 6-15K
6. 6x9s at the back will give some bass (if you are not wanting to put a sub). Brands as above - should be 3-8K
7. Yes, an amp - a 4 channel would do, even if you feel like getting a subwoofer later - would do fine. It definitely gives a better dynamic output than HU built-in amp. 6-12K depending on brand (JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Auditor etc.)

Do take time to audition the systems in the cars of Chennai TBHP members. Most of them have posted in the Sound Off & Show Off section, and would be happy to oblige.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 11:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. Perhaps you should look at conventional 2-DIN systems from JVC, Pioneer, etc. They would cost 20-25K
2. The Philips HU would not be bad, though IIRC this is the first time someone has mentioned it here
3. "Philips also had an Alpine system"??? Avoid! Even though Alpine maybe selling OE to Philips, it does not sound right.
4. Avoid 'bundled speakers' deals if you want good sound quality
5. Go for a pair of components in front - JBL, Infinity, Illusion, Auditor, Hertz, Boston, Blaupunkt etc. - wide variety, 6-15K
6. 6x9s at the back will give some bass (if you are not wanting to put a sub). Brands as above - should be 3-8K
7. Yes, an amp - a 4 channel would do, even if you feel like getting a subwoofer later - would do fine. It definitely gives a better dynamic output than HU built-in amp. 6-12K depending on brand (JBL, Infinity, Blaupunkt, Kenwood, Auditor etc.)

Do take time to audition the systems in the cars of Chennai TBHP members. Most of them have posted in the Sound Off & Show Off section, and would be happy to oblige.
I think you've got me a bit wrong. The guy was selling both Philips and Alpine systems. One of those shops on GP road, you know?

I realize no one else has mentioned the Philips in here, and that's why I thought I'd ask about it. A 2-DIN IS something that I have considered, but I haven't zeroed down on anything yet. I really am looking at Alpine or Blaupunkt, because I've heard that they're quite a bit better than the JVC or Pioneer.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidious View Post
I think you've got me a bit wrong. The guy was selling both Philips and Alpine systems. One of those shops on GP road, you know?

I realize no one else has mentioned the Philips in here, and that's why I thought I'd ask about it. A 2-DIN IS something that I have considered, but I haven't zeroed down on anything yet. I really am looking at Alpine or Blaupunkt, because I've heard that they're quite a bit better than the JVC or Pioneer.
a good basic setup would be as follows:

head unit - around 10k
components for front - around 7k
4 channel amp - 8-12k
wiring - 3-4k
sub - 6-8k

thereon, everything is upto taste and preference. if the back seat is used, you can use rear co-ax for fills powered thru HU.

you can add a monoblock amp dedicated to sub.

avoid spending too much on HU - imo you'd be better off investing in the whole set up with a basic or mid level HU than going for really exp HUs and nothing great in set up to get its potential.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 23:28   #5

I just got a quotation from RADIO WAREHOUSE here in Chennai. They were suggesting a Pioneer AVH-P4250DVD for about 29000.

I asked the same dealer about speakers, and he told me that Hertz were decent. He also showed me a trial in his car, with only 2 6x9 co-axials on the rear and the sound was satisfactory. I was wondering if anyone can throw some more light on this? Which model of these speakers is good (both front components as well as rear co-axials)? He quoted something for around 9000 - would anyone be able to tell me what exactly the model number is?

Last edited by insidious : 30th October 2010 at 23:41.
Old 31st October 2010, 09:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I just got a quotation from RADIO WAREHOUSE here in Chennai. They were suggesting a Pioneer AVH-P4250DVD for about 29000.?
If I were you I would give Radio Warehouse the miss. I am presuming 29k is with B/W. Abt 6 months back we had bought the same HU for abt 24-25k in the grey market. Not sure what the price is now but my guess is it would be cheaper than what it was 6 months back.

Quote:
I asked the same dealer about speakers, and he told me that Hertz were decent. He also showed me a trial in his car, with only 2 6x9 co-axials on the rear and the sound was satisfactory. I was wondering if anyone can throw some more light on this? Which model of these speakers is good (both front components as well as rear co-axials)? He quoted something for around 9000 - would anyone be able to tell me what exactly the model number is?
Could you tell for which Hertz model 9k was quoted ? My advice would be to fix on budget and then we could work on a good setup at that price point. Montyguru's suggestion is a good way to start off. There's plenty of options in the market likewise with the installers too. If you need more info shoot me a PM.

Good luck.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 09:48   #7
BHPian

Well I agree on Donarun on the Budget part. Insidious, please fix your budget. I would suggest the below approach:

1. Buy everything from GP Road
2. Get your stuff installed by a professional installer.

** Please have a look at Tbhp directory for vendors and installers in Chennai. Good luck for your install.

If you are looking for anything else, please drop me a PM.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 10:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got a quotation from RADIO WAREHOUSE here in Chennai.
I would never suggest Radio Ware house to anyone. Its no longer the place it used to me.

Why not audition a few Chennai BHPians ICE set up before you decide on the equipments

Last edited by Mi10 : 31st October 2010 at 10:03.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 13:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I would never suggest Radio Ware house to anyone. Its no longer the place it used to me.

Why not audition a few Chennai BHPians ICE set up before you decide on the equipments
That seems like a good idea. I was looking through the "Sound Off and Show Off" forum, and I searched through the forum for people who had ICEd their Swift. Although, I'm not sure whether I came across any of them from Chennai. Would you be able to point out any people I can ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Well I agree on Donarun on the Budget part. Insidious, please fix your budget. I would suggest the below approach:

1. Buy everything from GP Road
2. Get your stuff installed by a professional installer.

** Please have a look at Tbhp directory for vendors and installers in Chennai. Good luck for your install.

If you are looking for anything else, please drop me a PM.
From what I heard, a lot of dealers on GP road get these second-rate products and sell them off. I'm not too great at spotting when I'm fleeced. From the directories, I got the name of Mr.Chandru, and I plan on approaching him. Other than that, I'm not able to find anyone else. And I've seen quite a few people being taken for a ride quite a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
If I were you I would give Radio Warehouse the miss. I am presuming 29k is with B/W. Abt 6 months back we had bought the same HU for abt 24-25k in the grey market. Not sure what the price is now but my guess is it would be cheaper than what it was 6 months back.

Could you tell for which Hertz model 9k was quoted ? My advice would be to fix on budget and then we could work on a good setup at that price point. Montyguru's suggestion is a good way to start off. There's plenty of options in the market likewise with the installers too. If you need more info shoot me a PM.

Good luck.
You are right, of course. The rate should have come down by now, but a lot of these guys are selling at a premium. I checked with Tecnokrat for the same piece, and they quoted 30k. I'd prefer the same thing with B/W, but if there's any place you suggest where I can get it cheaper, please do let me know, and I'll take a look. There's quite a bit of time (about 2 months) before I take delivery of my vehicle, and I thought I'd just start off now and get things in order so there's no last minute rush. My dad rushed things for his 800, earlier, and ended up with a messed up system.

Oh, about the Hertz. I'm not sure which model it is that he quoted 9k for, but I took a look at the website last night, and zeroed down on a few models. I am not sure what price would be right to pay, but can someone give me an idea of what the following models might cost?

Front: (Components)
DSK 165 - 2 way system (diECi model)

(OR)

ESK 165 - 2 way system (energy model)

Rear: (Co-Axial)
DCX 690 - 3 way coaxial (diECi model)

(OR)

ECX 690 - 3 way coaxial (energy model)

The website is here.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:36   #10

Um, anyone out there who knows the rate for the above mentioned speakers? Or if you have any alternate suggestions?
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:59   #11
BHPian

Are you particular abt Hertz brand of speakers ? I have never heard a Hertz before but I am told they sound bright. Have you finalized on a budget ?
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Um, anyone out there who knows the rate for the above mentioned speakers? Or if you have any alternate suggestions?
I ve used both of them.

Deici 165 would be around 4.5K and 690, 3.5K

and Energy 165 would be 6.5K and 690, 4.5K

Yes, their tweeters are bright but the Midbass (Esp Energy's) is something you cant compare with any other brand in that price range.

Good set for the price.
Mi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:21   #13

Quote:
Are you particular abt Hertz brand of speakers ? I have never heard a Hertz before but I am told they sound bright. Have you finalized on a budget ?
Well, I've finalized a HU - the pioneer AVH4250DVD. The person I asked quote 29000, and I'm yet to negotiate. I'm also looking to see if I can get it for cheaper elsewhere. That leaves me around 20-25k for the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
I ve used both of them.

Deici 165 would be around 4.5K and 690, 3.5K

and Energy 165 would be 6.5K and 690, 4.5K

Yes, their tweeters are bright but the Midbass (Esp Energy's) is something you cant compare with any other brand in that price range.

Good set for the price.
I think the energy would be ideal then. The person I asked said that my setup doesn't need an Amplifier. Currently, this is what I'm looking at:

Front: ESK 165 - 2 way system (energy model)
Rear: ECX 690 - 3 way coaxial (energy model)
HU: Pioneer AVH-P4250DVD

As I have mentioned before, the car is only a swift. I want Sound Quality over Sound Levels, and I'm not looking to upgrade the above system anytime soon either. Would an amplifier be necessary for the setup?
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I want Sound Quality over Sound Levels, and I'm not looking to upgrade the above system anytime soon either. Would an amplifier be necessary for the setup?
An amplifier would help in exercising the true potential of speakers. Stretch your budget (if you can) to get a 4ch amp & sub, that would make your setup more or less complete, a move which you wont regret.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
An amplifier would help in exercising the true potential of speakers. Stretch your budget (if you can) to get a 4ch amp & sub, that would make your setup more or less complete, a move which you wont regret.
+1 on that. When I ICEd my Swift, I put an amplifier over-over stretching my set budget and after that was wondering Why did I need an amp?. It should have been OK without an amp. Because I couldn't understand what value was the amp adding.

But later got an opportunity to listen to couple of ICEd cars which had better speakers than mine but had no amps. I could make out the difference (positive) in my system with the amp.
torquarius is offline   Reply With Quote