Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th November 2010, 12:28   #1
BHPian

Default Confessions of a Audioholic

Atlast i have taken the plunge into the wonderful world of ICE , i knew this was coming , but never knew it's gonna leave a permanent impression like this.

I was first initiated into the wonderful world of Western music by my cousins at a very young age where Queen , Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy , Machine Heads ruled the rock world and Kenny Rogers,Andy Gibbs ,Lionel Richie,ABBA ruled the other side.

It slowly started in the Form of Medium size double casette decks , to small sized Hifi Systems from Technics.

The Music craze increased 10 fold when i was presented with a Sony walkman and a ton of casettes , by the time i was in college ,i was totally blind folded in this, this is where i started moving out from Quantity to Quality , where couple of my friends could afford to have a Bang & Oulfsen System with BOSE speakers. This for me was a revelation which stuck to me when ever i listened to music , if there was no clarity or Quality i was simply put off by it.this had a huge drawback in the form of making my
wallet really thin...where i was purchasing the original casettes and CD's where rest of my friends were happy copying it and ripping .mp3's and never bothered about the sound quality.

In the Later stages of life i could afford to decent Home Theatre with Harmon & Kardon recievers and JBL Pro 7.1 speakers. , i knew this was just a begining of BIG things to come and i was really afraid where i will end up. already Home dept was up in Arms and i smelt the uprising and revolt towards my wayward spending on High Quality CD's where i would frown to her small requests of her favourite Yoga or Aerobic CD's...

It HIT the roof when i bought my Hawk , where the Stock ICE was nothing but a piece of junk , i knew sooner or later i have to Plan, and plan BIG , also i need to have a well laid battle plan and also a solid Defence plan so that i could duck from the Enemy Lines, face the wrath of Foreign and local , (Read it as internal and external Threats)...

This was also the time i had joined TBHP where i was exposed to the world of ICE , from there to DIYMA and so on .. , sooner i started my investigation of who were ruling the world of ICE and came accross most of them , the main issue for me was i was so new into the ICE world and have not listened to any of these Good systems, so i knew i was taking a BIG risk when i decided what i want to play in the High level,but as always 90% of the time i trust my heart and 10% to Logic and take the good part and leave the rest of itwhat rest of the world say about different brands and Listening pleasures...

This has once again proved that i was right in my own way even though others might differ, but i would say , this was my choice and iam Damn happy about what i chose , not to bend of stoop or compromise when it came to Equipments and choices.

I started digging and doing my bit of research and came accross lots of wonderful persons who were glad to help.

The ones who responded and answered my stupid questions and queries will always have special place in my Heart and i will always try to return it anytime,anywhere, anyway i can everytime for them and anyone who are crazy and passionate about music and ICE..

At the end of the search it had boiled down to this.

Amps : Genesis , Tru Tech , Brax.

Speakers : Dynaudio , Image Dynamics , Rainbow , Seas Lotus.

HU : Apline or Pioneer.

Enter Jaspreet from BBW , who was patient enough to send me the lists of items i require time and time again , talked for hours , answered all my questions patiently.

The End result was :

Speakers : Dynaudio 362 3 Way Speakers System.

Speaker Amp : Genesis Dual Mono

Sub Amp : Genesis Profile Sub.

Speaker cables : Chameleon Plus & Crimson plus RCA's.

HU - Pioneer DEH P01.

Damping : Dynamat Exreme.

Do i have to say more ??? ..... Pics and rest will follow...
vraghuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 13:07   #2
BHPian

Wow!
The equipment surely is drool-maal!
And yes, you seem to have spent a lot of money here.
By the way, how much for the Pioneer P01?
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 17:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the rare threads where a Hawk has been iced by an audiophile. Your approach is marvelous. Dont worry about criticisms as music has to do with ears and everyone does not respond in same manner.

I am really interested in your thread as I have plan to by a Hawk in a year's time. Hope to see lots of pics and price details.

Have you been able to retain the steering controls and VAS? If yes, then how? If not, then did you come across any mechanism to do so? VAS is fine but most importantly the steering controls.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 17:42   #4
BHPian

Getting a Pioneer DEH-P01 was next to impossible with the Indian Prices of P99RS going through roof, luckily i had a friend who was visiting japan , who agreed to bring it from there. after a agonising 3 months wait , the cute thing was in my hands , by this time i also had procured the genesis DMA and Dyns, Damping, RCA's,speakers wires and a Kicker PKD-01 wiring Kit.

For Sub i went for a Genesis Profile Sub with Image Dynamics IDQV3 12".

Now i was looking for a Installer in Bangalore for my ICE, the more i looked the more i was getting confused , if someone was good in installation, they were lacking the Tuning ability.if they knew how to tune , they were bad in install. the question was thrown back to Jaspreet when he visited Bangalore at the same time.the name Zuheimi popped out from Jaspreet's mouth and couple of others at the same time , most of you here know Zuheimi from Emperor car Audio in Cochin, and the review about emperor that they are a little rude to customers made me a little nervous.

I had to take a call , knowing the risk , i called up Emperor and talked to Mr. Riyas about my build , he was warm and a little confused when i started explaining him what i had . the date was fixed and i travelled to Cochin met Riyaz and then Zuheimi , after the initial welcome , i was becoming comfortable with him , i also had a audition of Zuhiemi's car at that time and told him i was looking for SQ rather than a BOOM BOOM setup.

He clearly understood my requirement and told me he will take care , but only with no deadline on finish dates, i was ok with this since it was almost more than 1 year when i started collecting the items one by one .

It was quite a challenge for him,since he has not done such a serious build for a Hawk, the interior of the hawk is like a box shape , so it was a huge challenge to fix the placement of the speakers so that you do not miss any sounds.

Days,week began ticking one by one and it was one of the hardest days of my life , called them once in a while to know the progress of the work , meanwhile Riyas also told me that we can use the volume control in the steering with the help of a wireless gizmo also i had found another gizmo to overcome the FM frequency issue these Japanese Head units have ,since their FM frequency starts from 80Mhz and ends at 90Mhz..where the rest of the world starts at 90Hz to 100 +...crazy fellas these Japs eh...
Old 6th November 2010, 01:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

A good choice on equipment level there and it's good to see another P01 user. Look forward on your listening impression.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 19:13   #6
BHPian

Default The Heart

The Heart on Fire ..!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Confessions of a Audioholic-1.jpg  

Confessions of a Audioholic-2.jpg  

Confessions of a Audioholic-3.jpg  

Old 6th November 2010, 21:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

The colour gels very nice with the dash. I see the subtitles in Chinese. I hope there is an option to select language!

The system is 1-Din. You have still kept us elusive of the cost of the items. You can tell the prices as you post about them or do you want to keep it secret.

Is that the remote kept in front of player?
Old 8th November 2010, 15:40   #8
BHPian

Prices.. hmm.. , please don't ask, im still coming out from the coma...!! after blowing up quite a handful.

All i can say is it costed me around 45k for the P01 , rest i don't want to disclose. (Too many Income Tax Guys and Bhai log might be lurking around in the forum...)

TB,

i can send u a PM with the full prices in case you need it. please let me know.

Yes, its the P01 remote.
Old 8th November 2010, 16:05   #9
BHPian

Vraghuz:

Why don't you show off your set-up with an video ?

The components you have selected are absolute drool maal !
Otomobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 20:44   #10
BHPian

Wow!! Awesome setup. I really really want to hear your setup. The Dyns powered by Genesis amps which are in turn are harnessed by that superb Pioneer HU. Definitely my dream car audio set up. Congrats on your excellent choice.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 21:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraghuz View Post
Prices.. hmm.. , please don't ask, im still coming out from the coma...!! after blowing up quite a handful.

All i can say is it costed me around 45k for the P01 , rest i don't want to disclose. (Too many Income Tax Guys and Bhai log might be lurking around in the forum...)

TB,

i can send u a PM with the full prices in case you need it. please let me know.

Yes, its the P01 remote.
Yes I would be thankful if you can send me a PM of the prices.

The thread seems to have halted. Have you installed your ICE or it is being installed? I hope you mind sharing pics of the entire setup.

Most importantly, are you satisfied with the setup now? Can you explain in detail about the stereo controls, how you retained them?
Old 9th November 2010, 12:25   #12
BHPian

Zuheimi is one chap that i need to talk a little,he was very warm and friendly from the first time i met him and it continued through out the build.he understood that i wanted SQ and it was a huge challenge for him being the odd shape of the scorp, his passion for music and building a ultimate SQ system goes a long painful way. where everything has to be just perfect, the placement of speakers, tuning so on.. i was clearly aware that you need to give him space and freedom for the build ,never disturb or keep poking ur nose around during the build.

He gave his heart out for this build , staying out in the workshop till wee hours to make sure the build went perfect, he atleast re-moulded the front speaker compartment 6 times before he felt it was ok since he knew that he was playing with some serious pieces of gizmos. that is the kind of commitment i expect from a builder.

It took 3 weeks for me to recieve that Golden call from them telling me that i can collect my vehicle ,before i knew it i landed in cochin a day early and then started the wait for the call. the next day i went to his shop and found that there was still some small nitty gritty work pending.., he had just finished the first round of tuning and was taking a break , i could not wait more.

i just jumped inside the hawk and switched on the P01. What i heard which was coming out from the Dyn's had to be experienced rather than in writing , Music at it's best,melodies was flowing , i was hearing live orchestra from the front row ,rock,pop,was playing so damn clear, and experiencing jazz,R & B in such a way that i was totally addicted to them.. i now have a new respect for jazz,R & B ..

The sound depth, the low, mid,high's were playing with such a precision, i did not want to leave.

i do not know how someone could tell that Dyn's sound very dull, maybe it was because they didn't matched it perfectly with a Perfect HU and a Perfect Amp..

After 30 min , i came out of the scorp as a happy man , the gamble had paid off !! in such a way i slowly floated out of the workshop , still in that heavenly mood , where i wanted to get inside the cabin asap. !!!

Last edited by vraghuz : 9th November 2010 at 12:26.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Interesting stuff there raghu , would you mind stop throwing these teasers at us and put up a few pics of the installation itself . I am yet to see a nice ICE setup when it comes to SUV's and for all you know your thread will be an eye opener for the rest of us.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 22:13   #14
BHPian

ok no more Teasers, here are some pics ...
Attached Thumbnails
Confessions of a Audioholic-4.jpg  

Confessions of a Audioholic-5.jpg  

Confessions of a Audioholic-6.jpg  

Confessions of a Audioholic-7.jpg  

Confessions of a Audioholic-9.jpg  

Old 10th November 2010, 11:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

vraghuz,

The fabric used will pick up dust and dirt over time. I suggest you get a systhetic leather cover for teh fiberglass moulds so it is easier to clean.

Also did you try locating the tweeter near the midrange to see if the soundstage is more cohesive.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote