Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 19th November 2010, 07:12   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
1) The online manual (http://www.jvc.co.nz/assets/pdf-manual/KD-R316.pdf) says i am not to start the car with a USB connected to the HU.Any idea why it's so?
Even I am curious to know the reason behind this.

If I start the car with the HU on and in the USB mode, the HU stops reading from USB and doesn't go into USB mode until I again start the car with the HU on.

The problem doesn't happen when the HU is off while starting the car, even though the USB drive is connected to the HU.

Mine is Blaupunkt Hamburg MP57.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 09:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

What happens when, with the USB drive inserted and HU on, you turn on the ignition switch but don't start the car? I am assuming the HU will start normally and play songs. If you are trying now, wait till the HU starts playing something and then crank the engine. Probably it will hang the HU.

The problem is most likely with the cranking cycle when the HU is restarted. Strange!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 10:15   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What happens when, with the USB drive inserted and HU on, you turn on the ignition switch but don't start the car?
This part is fine.

BTW I have noticed that the batteries of devices connected to the cigarette lighter socket before starting the car (for example left overnight) loose their 'memory'. Maybe it some current sruge during cranking that is damaging them. USB might be suffering a similar fate (I dont know much about USB so cant give a definitive answer).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 15:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello guys,

I finally after much thought got my 800 a brand new JVC KD-R415 with CD,USB & Aux for 4500 bucks.
The JVC can play both from aux and also by directly connecting the mobile to the USB port as well.But i think i will go for a 4gb pen drive for now so i don't have to bother myself to remove the wires of the mobile etc.
I too bought the same unit last week, but paid around 300 rupees more. I also installed rear speakers (Pioneer) on my WagonR for another 2200 rupees, including the board on which they are fixed.

I'm able to play songs with my 8GB usb pen drive and the sound quality is pretty good---as good as FM and almost as good as an mp2 cd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
I have used both USB and AUX for approximately 2 years in my car, both have their own set of pros and cons.

Aux

Cons
-scrolling your collection on mobile while driving is not that comfortable. I simply switch to random mode and change the song if its not according to current mood..
Add one more to the list of cons:-
  • The hassle of connecting wires and making the console area look a bit messy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
USB
Cons
-sound output will have less punch as compared to aux.
My experience is exactly the opposite. When I connect my mp3 device to the aux in, I need to play at volume level 20 whereas for other devices like USB I play at volume 10.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 18:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

HU makes or breaks the sound quality output. So does the native file format.

MP3 in 320 kbps stereo will sound better than 128 mono. Thus USB Vs Aux should be compared for similar format.

HU USB or Aux scores if you are able to play lossless thats better. FLAC or Apple Lossless are super. But my ANHC HU can not read the lossless format thus I sometimes miss Sony HU with Aux in port.

About the issue of USB going kaput and memory loss of battery. Yes this happens due to fluctuations and puny USB and Media players are not built for these kind of voltage fluctuations. Always switch the HU off then crank the car. Also unplug the media player for sometime and use the battery. If you do not use the battery, it will die sooner than you expect. This is most like the laptop battery dying when its always connected to the power cable.

Have a great time jiving.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 18:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
.... Yes this happens due to fluctuations and puny USB and Media players are not built for these kind of voltage fluctuations. ...
NOT! The USB device gets decently regulated 5V from the HU, as long as the 12V line is within specs (9.6-14.4V) AND the Accessory signal is ON. If the ACC signal is off, the USB device does not get the 5V at all.
Old 19th November 2010, 20:18   #37
BHPian

I thought the larger capacity drives - the 320/500 GB ones required their own independent power sources, since they have that many more moving parts (disc platters & heads), USB ports cannot by themselves provide that much power, and hence that would be a limitation to using Higher capacity HDDs wouldn't it?. Solid state drives (the Pen drives) with higher capacity and a correct FAT structure might not face any problems at all.
ascertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 02:28   #38
BHPian

My Blaupunkt HU was stolen from my Santro - and I was going to get rid of the Santro in a few months so I picked up a cheap HU for 2500 - some random brand - it worked like a charm and had every conceivable connection - Aux, USB, SD Card etc.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 08:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
I thought the larger capacity drives - the 320/500 GB ones required their own independent power sources, since they have that many more moving parts (disc platters & heads), USB ports cannot by themselves provide that much power, and hence that would be a limitation to using Higher capacity HDDs wouldn't it?. Solid state drives (the Pen drives) with higher capacity and a correct FAT structure might not face any problems at all.
Laptop hard drives are very efficient and work from USB power even if they are or large size like 500GB however even a 40GB Desktop hard disk will need external power source.

HU not able to recognize large drive is due to its internal firmware limitation. Remember very old PC's like 286 won't recognize large capacity HDD, similarly there was a recent HotFix (update) from Microsoft for Windows OS so that it can support memory cards of more than 32 GB. So its all about internal software limitation of HU. I have a very old working 633mb (yes MB not GB) HDD and I am sure if I fit it in casing, provide an external power source, format it using FAT then it will work on any USB supported HU and 32 GB memory card might not work on HU due to limitation.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 09:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Nowadays, most HDDs the current consumption on the label. For the older ones, one has to search on the 'net for the datasheet.

The first limitation is the 500mA limit on the USB power. Sometimes drives whose consumtion is borderline, say 480mA (0.48A), will pull a surge on connection that pulls the USB power line below safe limits for the drive.

The 2nd limitation is the buffer size used in the HU to read in the directory from the drive (not comparable to PCs where RAM is much larger than in HUs). Too many directories & files is too much to handle. How many is too many is difficult to compute.
Old 20th November 2010, 10:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What happens when, with the USB drive inserted and HU on, you turn on the ignition switch but don't start the car? I am assuming the HU will start normally and play songs. If you are trying now, wait till the HU starts playing something and then crank the engine. Probably it will hang the HU.

The problem is most likely with the cranking cycle when the HU is restarted. Strange!
1. There is no issue when car's ignition key is turned on even when HU is on with USB connected and playing from USB.

2. There is no issue when car is started even when HU is on, but is in FM mode (USB drive is still connected, but not being accessed by HU)

3. HU hangs only when car is started with HU in USB mode and USB drive obviously connected to HU. In this case, HU hangs for sometime and then does not go into USB mode at all. Then I need to turn off the car and again crank the engine with HU on. Strangely, this causes the USB to get detected again by the HU. I am not able to understand this issue.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 13:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Try with another (smaller) USB drive.

Sounds like when you have HU in USB mode, USB drive inserted and then you crank, the HU is still in the middle of reading the drive and the reset (ACC signal goes off when you crank engine) causes the process and device interface to freeze up irrecoverably.
Old 20th November 2010, 17:31   #43
BHPian

Figo owners have it both ways. USB and AUX. But I love USB over AUX.

Like having a player powered off from the car. Besides, I feel the USB quality was better. No conversion in between.
Brix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:32   #44
BHPian

I am using USB/SD slot player from a local brand called Pagaria.Been working like a charm for 3 years now and they also come with digital EQ, bass-treble controls.Sound quality is good and it depends a lot on the bitrate of the mp3 file used (320kbps is good)
http://www.pagaria.co.in
mukundmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:33   #45
BHPian

Default Re: Aux v/s USB

Actually i am planning for a used car i 10 Asta 2009. I am not aware whether the car supports the USB and whether it has a remote or not.Please can anyone inform me on this and also please say whether a usb cable can be connected to the music system by any chance.
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote