Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 18th November 2010, 15:24   #1
BHPian

Default Punto Emo PK ICE queries

Hi Gurus,

Well I started this thread as I have a set of queries that I believe the Audio gurus can help me out with.
  1. I want the Aux connectivity. Searching on some threads I came across the following link: Cavo AUX Mp3 Blaupunkt Alfa 159, Fiat 500, Grande Punto on eBay (end time 01-Dec-10 07:57:51 GMT)
    Is this the correct one? The dealer here told me that they have a connector, but if Aux is connected, the USB won't. Only one of them will work. Is such a cable available in Ahmedabad?
  2. When I connect my PMP device or USB, the display of the current track is on the Car MID and not the HU display. Any idea how this can be changed?
  3. When I start using the BlueNme, the volume is always low. Lower than what the audio is playing at. Why is that so?
  4. When I connect my PMP via the USB, I cannot access the menu in the PMP. No doubt, audio plays, but I cannot change the track, set the equalizer, search the song using my PMP. I use a Cowon D2: [ Digital Pride COWON ]
I need help on these queries

Thanks in advance.

tOm
@tombum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 16:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

1. PM sent - check
2. Can't be changed, that's how it is, however peculiar that might feel!
3. That is soft start - so that you don't jump out of the car the next time you start and the volume was set to very high the previous time! Not sure, but the initial volume might have to be set at the B&M unit
4. When connected as a drive over USB, most devices deactivate local control. Otherwise - imagine - you connect over USB to a computer to copy some files FROM the device, and local control locks the file that you are trying to copy. This will result in a loooong delay till your computer gives up
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 18:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. PM sent - check

Checked the PM. Thanks a lot.

2. Can't be changed, that's how it is, however peculiar that might feel!

Oh shucks. I thought it had to do something with the settings. I guess, I will have to live with it.

3. That is soft start - so that you don't jump out of the car the next time you start and the volume was set to very high the previous time! Not sure, but the initial volume might have to be set at the B&M unit

I read on a thread about the External volume. Does it have anything to do with the Blueme volume?

4. When connected as a drive over USB, most devices deactivate local control. Otherwise - imagine - you connect over USB to a computer to copy some files FROM the device, and local control locks the file that you are trying to copy. This will result in a loooong delay till your computer gives up
Right. But I have seen the controls of my friend's Itouch working in his car. Does it mean he might have connected it via Aux? (He has a HU that is Ipod/Itouch compatible) And do I get to use the controls if I connect the player via Aux?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2010, 23:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tombum View Post
Right. But I have seen the controls of my friend's Itouch working in his car. Does it mean he might have connected it via Aux? (He has a HU that is Ipod/Itouch compatible) And do I get to use the controls if I connect the player via Aux?
Thanks in advance.
If the Aux input is a USB then you might get to control the ipod from the HU but if it is a 3.5mm (headphone) socket then you cannot control the ipod from the HU. Many modern HUs offer an ipod input as well as an Aux input.

BTW many if not all car HUs do not charge the new Touch (the one with the camera). They play ok though.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 09:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... And do I get to use the controls if I connect the player via Aux? ...
If connected via Aux-in, one can control it ONLY from the iPod/iPod Touch. One cannot control song selection etc. from the HU.
Old 19th November 2010, 12:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If the Aux input is a USB then you might get to control the ipod from the HU but if it is a 3.5mm (headphone) socket then you cannot control the ipod from the HU. Many modern HUs offer an ipod input as well as an Aux input.

BTW many if not all car HUs do not charge the new Touch (the one with the camera). They play ok though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If connected via Aux-in, one can control it ONLY from the iPod/iPod Touch. One cannot control song selection etc. from the HU.

Ok. So I am confused here. I always thought that the Aux input was a 3.5 mm socket. So if I am not wrong, you are referring to a cable that has a USB connector at one end and a 3.5 mm jack at the other. So, you connect the player to the USB part of the cable and the other Output end to the HU. And in this case, the HU will retain all the controls for the Audio.

However, if you have a cable that has 3.5 jack at both ends, and connect your player to the HU via it, the HU will retain no controls. The controls will be retained by the player.
Old 19th November 2010, 13:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... the Aux input was a 3.5 mm socket.
At the HU end, depending on the HU it could be a
* 3.5mm jack socket or
* a pair of RCA sockets, or
* pins in the main connector (like in your HU) which needs a cable to bring the input out to
- a jack socket or
- jack plug (like the cable in your link) or
- a pair of RCA sockets.

One connects the earphone output (this is an analog output) of a PMP or phone to this using the accessory cable - on the PMP/phone end the jack plug goes into the EP socket, and at the other end connects to the HU as I mentioned above: jack plug, RCA plugs or connector.

Quote:
... So if I am not wrong, you are referring to a cable that has a USB connector at one end and a 3.5 mm jack at the other. So, you connect the player to the USB part of the cable and the other Output end to the HU. And in this case, the HU will retain all the controls for the Audio.
No, you cannot. USB on the PMP/Phone is on a mini/micro USB connector and DOES NOT contain an analog output that can feed Aux-in via a jack.
* USB from PMP/phone MUST be connected to the HU's USB port, won't work if HU doesn't have that; on the HU end it is normally a standard USB socket
* USB is a digital connection over which the HU sends commands to your PMP/phone, and receives the song data in digital form (reads the song file).
* Yes, in this case control is at HU, not PMP/phone.

Quote:
... However, if you have a cable that has 3.5 jack at both ends, and connect your player to the HU via it, the HU will retain no controls. The controls will be retained by the player.
Yes (jack could be RCA plugs with some HUs).
Old 19th November 2010, 15:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok. So I am confused here. I always thought that the Aux input was a 3.5 mm socket.
An Auxillary input is only an input. It can take many forms like USB, RCA, 3.5mm, etc...for example my PC's motherboard has 12 USB (Auxillary) inputs.

The term Auxillary was developed in the days when Amplifier manufacturers wanted ot offer an extra input or 2 to their customers but had no fixed name for it like Phono (for the turn-table/phonograph/record player), Tape (for the tape deck), CD (for the CD player), etc...in those days other than the Phono input all these other inputs were usually interchangeable (had the same input sensitivity and overload specifications).

USB has a +/- 5V DC power wire as well so cannot be connected to a 3.5mm or RCA output/input. Doing so might damage the device being connected to the USB input. Only a USB device (Hard Disk, Thumb Drive, etc...) can be connected to a USB input. The advantage being that USB offers control of device as well as transmission of small signal (in this case music) from device to HU.

Again there are some USB devices (like the current generation of ipod Nano and Touch) which will play music via a USB input but will not get charged. I have studied the charging circuits for these ipods (the Classic however wil get charged) and there are minor changes (to enable charging of these devices) which I assume the next generation of HUs will incorporate.

Last edited by navin : 19th November 2010 at 15:10.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 15:54   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gurus,
  1. I want the Aux connectivity. Searching on some threads I came across the following link: Cavo AUX Mp3 Blaupunkt Alfa 159, Fiat 500, Grande Punto on eBay (end time 01-Dec-10 07:57:51 GMT)
    Is this the correct one? The dealer here told me that they have a connector, but if Aux is connected, the USB won't. Only one of them will work. Is such a cable available in Ahmedabad?
  2. When I connect my PMP device or USB, the display of the current track is on the Car MID and not the HU display. Any idea how this can be changed?
  3. When I start using the BlueNme, the volume is always low. Lower than what the audio is playing at. Why is that so?
  4. When I connect my PMP via the USB, I cannot access the menu in the PMP. No doubt, audio plays, but I cannot change the track, set the equalizer, search the song using my PMP. I use a Cowon D2: [ Digital Pride COWON ]
tOm
so here are some suggestions try them.

1. if you need the AUX to connect your media player (Ipod, PMP, Etc) you could use the USB port. Wait for the last point to understand how to access the ipod/ pmp menu on ur car displays.

2. No Suggestion

3. If i understood this right, the volume of the person on the phone (playing thru the car speakers) is much lower than the Audio volume it previously was on. You would need to press the menu button on the HU and then scroll to the "external volume...something" change the volume up there.

4. I have just installed the latest updated version of Blue & Me (Version 5.5). this version helps me read my ipod without a problem. i can access all the artist, album, song menus using the steering buttons. This update helps us seamlessly integrate external media players to B&M, so an AUX would really not be needed. Unless there is a use i havent figured out yet

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...q-section.html

Last edited by sharanramesh : 19th November 2010 at 15:56.
sharanramesh is offline   Reply With Quote