Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st November 2010, 00:23   #1
BHPian

Default FLAC on my Head-Unit

I want to play any lossless format on my Kenwood X693. Gurus, please advise me on how to go about it. I know there is no way I can play FLAC but I don't mind settling for something better than Mp3. Please suggest whether to convert FLAC to ALAC and connect my ipod via Aux or burn to a CD or to any other format and transfer it to a pendrive(I would prefer this)
Also please let me know of a good converter.
Thanks in advance.
mohitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 00:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get an iPod Classi 160GB. Convert all the FLACS to WAV and copy them to ipod via itunes.

Last edited by abhibh : 21st November 2010 at 00:51.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 01:22   #3
BHPian

Thanks abhibh, but now I am facing another problem. I already own the 5th generation ipod video. but when I connect it to the HU it shows an Ipod error. Although the same Ipod works just fine with my friends Kenny (older model of 7013U) AFAIK.
Please help me out with this one.
Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

What error message does the HU show?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 09:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kenwood HU's give Ipod Error,its quite a common one.
I get it almost everytime i connect my Iphone\Ipod to 6539,though it works,in my case,just by reseating the USB cable once more.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:57   #6
BHPian

@DerAlte - As Akshay said, it shows ipod error. No error number or any such thing is mentioned.
@akshay - I tried doing that a couple of times but to no avail.
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitd View Post
@DerAlte - As Akshay said, it shows ipod error. No error number or any such thing is mentioned.
@akshay - I tried doing that a couple of times but to no avail.
Try formatting the ipod and check again.

Kenwood HU's can play WAV off iPod.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:30   #8
BHPian

I'v done that too :( (FAT32)
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:58   #9
BHPian

Forget iPOD iPHONE craps, Get yourself COWON J3. Its way way forward than apple products. I am using that on my Pioneer HU via AUX cable and I can see the difference. Also Cowon J3 has BBE+ and 32 preset equalizers. Sorry apple fans, but could not resist after getting myself a COWON j3.
kiran1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
Forget iPOD iPHONE craps, Get yourself COWON J3. Its way way forward than apple products. I am using that on my Pioneer HU via AUX cable and I can see the difference. Also Cowon J3 has BBE+ and 32 preset equalizers. Sorry apple fans, but could not resist after getting myself a COWON j3.
Do HUs have Cowon control? The ipod might not be the best Mp3 player out there but it is an eco-system.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran1103 View Post
Which DAC does it use? Pioneer or Cowon when going through AUX
Piyush_Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

@kiran1103, your comment is hardly appropriate to the discussion here - especially the "BBE+ and 32 preset equalizer" part, since what people are trying to achieve is unadulterated sound (via lossless codecs, or better uncompressed via wav). Modifying the sound stream with equalizers does not figure in that thinking. With a good DAC in the HU, one prefers to use the HU DAC (digital stream till then) rather than getting the sound from the PMP DAC via Aux-in.

With other PMPs like Cowan, one has to do that by mapping the PMP as a USB drive - and then one cannot use the facilities provided in the PMP, and it becomes the equivalent of a pen-drive!

Equalizers allow the sound to be tailored to one's preference, but one normally keeps that flat to enjoy music as it was designed to be heard.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@kiran1103, your comment is hardly appropriate to the discussion here - especially the "BBE+ and 32 preset equalizer" part, since what people are trying to achieve is unadulterated sound (via lossless codecs, or better uncompressed via wav). Modifying the sound stream with equalizers does not figure in that thinking. With a good DAC in the HU, one prefers to use the HU DAC (digital stream till then) rather than getting the sound from the PMP DAC via Aux-in.

With other PMPs like Cowan, one has to do that by mapping the PMP as a USB drive - and then one cannot use the facilities provided in the PMP, and it becomes the equivalent of a pen-drive!

Equalizers allow the sound to be tailored to one's preference, but one normally keeps that flat to enjoy music as it was designed to be heard.

I understand why FLAC is used and its just the feature I mentioned in Cowon J3. Thats doesnt mean I profess to use that when Pioneer DAC is getting used.My eq at Pioneer is FLAT and has lot of room for tuning. btw its Pioneer 8850 which has got very good DAC and has BBE, time alignment. What I meant was to play FLAC Cowon J3 is the best option I can think off as compared to Apple products.
kiran1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 12:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Try playing via USB using the HU DAC. That should give you better results than from Aux-in (using the Cowon player's DAC).

If using FLAC or any other lossless format - 'the chain is only as strong as the weakest link'. It is not about the ease with which Cowon would handle the FLAC playback in the car. It is about not compromising the playback.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:23   #15
BHPian

AFAIK, connecting ipod or any other pmp via the aux-in of the hu will defeat the purpose of lossless playback quality - the sound is never as good as playing of the digital media (mp3/flac/aac etc) directly via the HU natively OR thru dedicated ipod usb cables.

Does ipod/iphone play flac? I don't think it is natively supported by apple - some 3rd party apps may support on iphone though but the made of iphone/ipod HU may not recognise the 3rd party apps.

Not many HU's are avlbl which can play flac directly off a usb pen drive. The best bet is to check if the HU can play wma lossless or aac or wav.

Some HUs (e.g. my JVC kd-avx77) will play mp3/wav/wma/aac from DVD but not all the formats from usb pendrive.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote