Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th December 2010, 15:43   #136
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Though, I'd like to point out I think that the current software does not allow to read over 999 songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
FAT or FAT32, both should work.
AND Sam, 999 songs per folder. Which means you can have, say 40000 songs in various folders on your hard drive, but if there are less than 999 songs in every folder, you can browse and select easily.
My point exactly.

What if I have 600 Artists and one of them is Eric Clapton and what if I have say 30 Eric Clapton albums each having 10-14 songs in a Artist/Album/Song format? (total song list will exceed 20,000 songs)

Will I be able to search the SD card and see "Eric Clapton", then "E.C. was here" and then "Can't find my way home"? Or would I be as lost as E.C was when he sang

But I'm near the end and I just ain't got the time, oh no
Oh no, and I'm *losted* and I can't find my way home

But I can't find my way home
Still I can't find my way home

And I ain't done nothing wrong
And I ain't done nothing wrong
No I can't find my way home
No I can't find my way home

* - the original lyrics do not say "losted", but the word said is not permissible here.

Sam, it is not diffcult for me to want to listen to one particular album out of 2000 or so I have across 2 160GB ipods. I just want to know if the 333/55 can do with a SD card what my alpine HU can do with ipods (2 ipods connected).

Last edited by navin : 24th December 2010 at 15:47.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 18:20   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Though, I'd like to point out I think that the current software does not allow to read over 999 songs.
Then again if it indexes folder wise than 999 means 999 files or folders per directory.

but if it indexes the entire mem card / Pen drive, then we'll be restricted to only 999 songs.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 19:38   #138
BHPian

Got one for my Safari yesterday. Value for money product. Great sound and very good build quality.

Coupled it with a complete JBL 6 speaker system. 2 JBL tweeters for front windows, 2 JBL components for front doors and 2 JBL Infiniti Series Speakers for Rear Doors all running off a 4 Channel JBL Amp.

One JBL Subwoofer running off a second JBL 2 Channel Amp and directly wired to the HU.

I already had the entire speaker and amplifier system in my Safari, just got the head unit yesterday.

Good sound clarity, although I still need to tune the amps and the headunit as there is a continuous hiss from front speakers that comes the moment I turn the volume up even one point, it dies down once I turn up the volume though.

Got a good deal too. 4K for the HU, installation free as I had everything in place already.
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 19:52   #139
Senior - BHPian

I have an idea, traveler.
What you could do is to to interchange the wires a little bit.
You must be having the Gt5-S644 and the Gt5-s422 amps right?
The s422 makes 42 w rms per channel, whereas the 644 makes 64 w rms per channel.

If you bridge the 2 channels of the s422 for your sub, you are giving only about 150w to it, but if you bridge the channels of the s644, you get almost 200-210w of RMS power to the sub.
The rear speakers can be given the smaller powered amp.

I suggest this as a Safari is a big car and 25% more power to the amp means a BIG jump in the overall volume of the bass in the car.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 20:31   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have an idea, traveler.
What you could do is to to interchange the wires a little bit.
You must be having the Gt5-S644 and the Gt5-s422 amps right?
The s422 makes 42 w rms per channel, whereas the 644 makes 64 w rms per channel.

If you bridge the 2 channels of the s422 for your sub, you are giving only about 150w to it, but if you bridge the channels of the s644, you get almost 200-210w of RMS power to the sub.
The rear speakers can be given the smaller powered amp.

I suggest this as a Safari is a big car and 25% more power to the amp means a BIG jump in the overall volume of the bass in the car.
Thanks for the inputs, I will definitely try this out and post the results back. Thanks for your great advise.
Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 21:26   #141
BHPian

Not to detract from the 20K songs, but could someone, anyone who has experienced Harman Kardon, give the lowdown/comparison on the audio quality when coupled with JBL speakers? Thanks!
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010, 19:16   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Not to detract from the 20K songs, but could someone, anyone who has experienced Harman Kardon, give the lowdown/comparison on the audio quality when coupled with JBL speakers? Thanks!
Well, I am sure you mean JBL. Harman Kardon has no car audio products (anymore)

From what I read, the performance seems to be quite satisfactory. But you should hear it and see if you like it before you buy.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 16:23   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Then again if it indexes folder wise than 999 means 999 files or folders per directory.but if it indexes the entire mem card / Pen drive, then we'll be restricted to only 999 songs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I just want to know if the 333/55 can do with a SD card what my alpine HU can do with ipods (2 ipods connected).
So can it address 999 songs or 999 folders?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 23:23   #144
BHPian

I have using the JBL 333 on my I10 for nearly a month now and I have been largely satisfied with the Head unit, though some cost-cutting features appear to be evident and have become a minor irritant.

I seem to have a problem and I need some advice (Sam, please tune in) on one such issue. On the JBL 333, there is a Random feature and I would have expected the Random feature to have had the option to play random songs (1) within the folder or (2) within the device (USB/SD card). However, I have noticed that the JBL 333 does not play random songs within the folder and plays random songs across folders. Problem arises when I have specific folders for specific type of songs. For example, I have folders for ENGLISH, INSTRUMENTAL, FUSION, JAZZ and GOSPEL songs. With the Random feature on, I simply cannot get the JBL 333 to play songs randomly within a folder. As a result, I now have the JBL 333 playing across multiple folders, which can be quite an irritation, especially since a Jazz song could soon be followed by a Gospel song and then a Fusion song.

Does the JBL 333 have any way to play random songs within a folder? My old Sony CD/MP3 player on our alto LXI had the option to play random songs within the folder and disk.

Thanks,
Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:03   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Does the JBL 333 have any way to play random songs within a folder? My old Sony CD/MP3 player on our alto LXI had the option to play random songs within the folder and disk.
No Melvyn, this feature does not seem to be there on the X-333. I too got one installed a couple of days back, and also missed this feature. Because, the user guide says - "Random (preset#4) will play all tracks on the currently playing CD or Folder in random order"

Since the CD feature does not apply to the X-333, I presume it treats the ROOT folder of the USB drive or SD card as the "Folder" and then proceeds to randomize all its tracks, including subfolders, if any.

Along with this, I have found that the LOUD-ness feature needed to have a level-control, something like low/med/hi. Presently the X-333 offers the only option of LOUD on/off - IMO, it is too loud when on and too soft when off.

Wish there were some way around this.

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:56   #146
BHPian

@rodie:why dont you turn off the loud mode and adjust the bass.Thats what I do.I get way more flexibility by doing so.
fiesta_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 15:15   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
@rodie:why dont you turn off the loud mode and adjust the bass.Thats what I do.I get way more flexibility by doing so.
You are right, but I guess this issue has more to do with the MP3 quality - bitrate etc. because, for some tracks I do not need to turn on the LOUD feature to get the punchy bass. But there are some tracks which sound just too vapid unless I turn on the LOUD feature - adjusting only bass to these tracks does not help.

May be I just need to get hold of better MP3s.

Cheers,
R_S
roadie_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 16:15   #148
BHPian

Guys

Will this GT-X333 unit drive a co-ax speaker like JBL GT6-S699 whose power handling is 75W RMS with sensitivity of 94db and impedance of 4 ohm? Or will I need an amp?

I plan to put this in my soft top Gypsy with a single speaker under the passenger side lockable glovebox with a purpose built fitting.

Also how can I use a stereo unit in mono mode? Will taking two speaker leads into a single speaker blow it away?

Thanks
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 17:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

Garbage In = Garbage Out
Rip 320kbps CBR from Audio CDs for the best mp3 quality
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 22:40   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
No Melvyn, this feature does not seem to be there on the X-333. I too got one installed a couple of days back, and also missed this feature. Because, the user guide says - "Random (preset#4) will play all tracks on the currently playing CD or Folder in random order"

Since the CD feature does not apply to the X-333, I presume it treats the ROOT folder of the USB drive or SD card as the "Folder" and then proceeds to randomize all its tracks, including subfolders, if any. Cheers,
R_S
Thanks for your clarification. It is indeed a pity that the JBL 333 cannot play random songs from within the folder itself and instead plays random songs from the main ROOT folder.

I am now reluctant to recommend this player to others or even if I do, I would warn them about this and other missing features. No complaints about the sound quality in my I10 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
I too have disabled the LOUD mode and I only adjust the EQ (low-mid-high) settings when needed. When the LOUD mode was on, all four JBL door speakers began to jar quite a bit even at low volumes and it was certainly not pleasant to the ears.

By the way, I am planning to install a Head Unit on my Alto and my budget is around Rs 7000. At that rate, three HUs (with USB facility) are available -- Sony CDX GT 505, Kenwood KDC U346 and the JBL GTX 555. Can anyone suggest which of these three players would be a better bet?

Thanks.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote