Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd February 2011, 14:24   #181
BHPian

Default Re: JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The 100EUB is designed for those who have no intention to add amplifers and subwoofers to their car stereo. The 333 sacrifices the CD function but includes 3 pre outs. That said I do believe the 333 USB search facility can do with an update.

Random songs shiould be within folders just like an ipod does (only Apple calls them play lists).
Nearly 99% of the relatives and friends that I know of had/have/will have no intention to add amplifers and subwoofers to their car stereo. Most of us are satisfied with a simple, yet effective, music player which can provide good music on 2/4 speakers.

As such, while the JBL 333 has the 3 pre outs, they were, quite frankly, of no use to me. What, however, mattered to me was the ability to play random songs from within a folder. While playing the JBL 333, it became a pain to listen to an English song from one folder, followed by a Konkani song in another folder, then a jazz song in the third folder...and so on...

In my opinion, many of those on a tight budget who opt for the JBL 333 (potential Alto/Santro/I10 Era/Magna owners) may be more interested in a better search facility along with a better (permanent display) clock feature than the pre-out options. Those with a larger budget and those who want to have a fully loaded music system in their car may opt for more expensive Head Units than the JBL 333.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 10:51   #182
BHPian

I have a problem playing songs from the USB drive on GTX 333 Unit.

ever since i bought the unit, i have been only listening to FM. On my last long tip, i carefully loaded all my favorite mp3 tracks into my 4 GB USB drive, as soon as i was out of FM coverage area, I tried to use the USB, but I find that a "Error 1" message is displayed and the source FM gets selected again.

Futher, the unit is trying to READ the USB drive for a relatively Loooong time before the "error 1" message is displayed.

I checked the USB, nothing seems to be wrong with it, further i distinctly remember that the Shop guy demostrated the USB drive on my head unit after installation.

Could I have changed the settings anyway while playing around or is something wrong with my USB..?

any help in this direction would be really great.

thanks in advance.
vidyasagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 10:57   #183
Senior - BHPian

Can you attach this USB to a PC and run checkdisk to ensure that there is not corruption in USB drive itself.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 11:14   #184
BHPian

Did this already sir.

No problems. I am now guessing if it has something to do with the folder structure. I have all the songs in a single folder. Does this make any difference..?

Further, is there anything to do with the "kbps" of the mp3 files..?
Old 24th February 2011, 11:21   #185
Senior - BHPian

By any chance, d o you have more than a thousand songs in a single folder?

bitrate/kbps should not cause this error since bitrate (E.g. VBR) would usually cause issues only while playback of that particular song. During scan, HU only needs to read ID3 tags for things like artist name/album name.

Looks like HU is not able to scan and create internal playlist for some reason.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 11:31   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
Further, is there anything to do with the "kbps" of the mp3 files..?
Personally I have not experienced this but some report that some HUs have trouble with VBR files and can only handle CBR files.

How were the MP3 files recorded?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 12:07   #187
BHPian

All these mp3 tracks are downloaded from internet and they play fine when played on my laptop with windows media player.

By the way, what is VBR / CBR?
Old 24th February 2011, 12:10   #188
Senior - BHPian

Kindly check if the USB drive is formatted in the fat32 partition format. I am quite sure your USB drive is formatted in the ntfs partition. You can do this by connecting the drive to a computer and right clocking the drive letter and clicking on format.
only fat32 will work with the head unit
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 13:29   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
By the way, what is VBR / CBR?
Types of encoding :
- Variable Bit Rate
- Constant Bit Rate
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 15:00   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Kindly check if the USB drive is formatted in the fat32 partition format.

I think Frank has hit the nail on the head.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:39   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kindly check if the USB drive is formatted in the fat32 partition format. I am quite sure your USB drive is formatted in the ntfs partition. You can do this by connecting the drive to a computer and right clocking the drive letter and clicking on format.
only fat32 will work with the head unit
Spot on.

Put the USB drive into your computer. Copy the songs back to a folder. Then right click and format in FAT or FAT32. Copy the songs back into your IUSB and all should work fine.

let me know what happens.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 20:37   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
NOT ONE HU was able to deliver more than 20W rms x 4 channels 4 ohms(I used 4 x 4ohm/1mh resistive-inductors to simulate an reactive load) 20-20kHz with less than 0.1% THD. We tested Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, all major brands. And this was with a bench supply of 14.4V (the bench supply could deliver up to 30A before being stressed). With a more typical 13.5-13.8V you will find in a running car I don't expect any HU to delvier 50W rms x 4 channnels @ 4 ohms/channel (reactive) 20-20kHz, THD < 0.1%.

That said the difference between 10W and 40W is only 6db.

Now for the open air question. Yes a rag top will leak bass. However I do not recommend trying to compensate using big subwoofers. Use a subwoofer by all means but the bass leaked by a rag top is more than what a subwoofer can even partially compensate for. The subwoofer (depending on your expectations) might just make the music more listenable. I would suggest making one with a hump in the mid bass (60-90Hz) and forgetting about the sub 40Hz information.
Thanks. Yes if it performs to the rated 70% efficiency it may deliver 35W per channel. Today's classD amps may not have been avaialble technology then around 1990s. The fosgates are rated@40w rms continuous. Let me see how it sounds, then will decide if a 75W amp upgrade is needed after a month. I dont want thumping bass, just deep rich low frequencies.

Quote:
HUs these days are all rated @ 50*4.
DOESNT mean they give out 50*4 w of RMS power. They are rated @ PMPO or Max/Dynamic power output, so their figures don't sound puny. 50*4 is marketing pitch. Power rating itself is more marketing pitch than a gauge of an amplifier's performance. That's my belief, though. Not influencing anyone on that.
It's more like 8-12 w RMS, and that too, when powering 4 channels, even 12*4 is out of question!
I hope it is not PMPO they quote. A listen will tell.

Thanks guys
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 10:05   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Thanks. Yes if it performs to the rated 70% efficiency it may deliver 35W per channel. Today's classD amps may not have been avaialble technology then around 1990s
I have yet to see Class D amps become popular in HUs. The closest alternate is the Alpine KTP445 amp.

Class D is not a cure all.
1. The switching circuitry occupies space
2. The switching circuitry generates HF noise that needs to be filtered out
3. The filtering circuit (since it is a high order filter) is said to "alias"

A Class D amp might produce only 20% of the heat of a Class A/B amp but will still occupy about 70% of the space of a class A/B amp.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:51   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Spot on.

Put the USB drive into your computer. Copy the songs back to a folder. Then right click and format in FAT or FAT32. Copy the songs back into your IUSB and all should work fine.

let me know what happens.
I checked the format, it was FAT32 only. However, I reformatted the drive and tried again, no luck..still "Error 1" is displayed.

Checked the Manual of GTX333, It says, Not all USB drives are compatible with HU. Doesn't mention the compatibility crieteria though..comfortably.

I pulled out one more old 2 GB USB drive that was buried deep in my heap of electronic junk, formatted it and put in the mp3 files, and voila, the GTX 333 recognises the USB drive and starts playing the music.

Still don't understand what was wrong with the earlier 4 GB USB drive.
Further, it is not mentioned in the manual what is the maximum size of USB drive that could be used with the GTX 333. Any other GTX 333 owners who can confim if 4GB drive is recognized on their HUs..?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th February 2011, 15:07   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I pulled out one more old 2 GB USB drive that was buried deep in my heap of electronic junk, formatted it and put in the mp3 files, and voila, the GTX 333 recognises the USB drive and starts playing the music.

Still don't understand what was wrong with the earlier 4 GB USB drive.
Further, it is not mentioned in the manual what is the maximum size of USB drive that could be used with the GTX 333. Any other GTX 333 owners who can confim if 4GB drive is recognized on their HUs..?
Q: Do usb drives come in speeds like 133x or Class 6 / Class 10?

If this is true it could be the "Class" of the USB drive.