Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 25th February 2011, 15:44   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!

No, Class of the device (pendrives don't have an explicitly declared one) will not matter. The Class indicates the category of the fastest write speed (max speed at which it will accept write requests from an external requester). If read requests appear at a slower rate, it has no problem of completing the request on time. For HUs, even the slowest pendrives are good enough for music.

What does "Error 1" correspond to? The manual may have that, otherwise google for it.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 20:00   #197
BHPian

Its a very small manual and i checked end to end. NO mention of error codes. Google also seems not to help much. I am planning to get in touch with some old friend who works for Harmon ODC in wipro. Will update you guys with my (re)search results.
vidyasagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 21:08   #198
BHPian

Quick question - the 333 is rated at 50Wx 4 channels. If I use only two, will I get better power output performance?

TIA
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 00:30   #199
Senior - BHPian

The simple. Your 4 gb USB device has gone bad. KAPUT.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 01:06   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
I checked the format, it was FAT32 only. However, I reformatted the drive and tried again, no luck..still "Error 1" is displayed.

Checked the Manual of GTX333, It says, Not all USB drives are compatible with HU. Doesn't mention the compatibility crieteria though..comfortably.

I pulled out one more old 2 GB USB drive that was buried deep in my heap of electronic junk, formatted it and put in the mp3 files, and voila, the GTX 333 recognises the USB drive and starts playing the music.

Still don't understand what was wrong with the earlier 4 GB USB drive.
Further, it is not mentioned in the manual what is the maximum size of USB drive that could be used with the GTX 333. Any other GTX 333 owners who can confim if 4GB drive is recognized on their HUs..?

Thanks in advance.
I have been using a Verbatim 8 GB pen drive with 1500+ songs located across 4 folders and my JBL 333 has had no problem so far. In fact, it reads the pen drive quite fast for the number of songs in the pen drive. Could it be that you are using a Sandisk pen drive? I recall that some Nokia phones (like the X2) had software issues with the factory shipped 2 GB San disk micro SD card and the phones would hang. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by misquitas : 26th February 2011 at 01:07.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 09:16   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
... 50Wx 4 channels. If I use only two, will I get better power output performance? ...
LOL No! They are quite independent, and one pair of channels has nothing to give the other 2.
Old 27th February 2011, 05:45   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, Class of the device (pendrives don't have an explicitly declared one) will not matter
I just assumed it might as my wife's video camera is happy with cards and cannot record at full HD on other cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
LOL No! They are quite independent, and one pair of channels has nothing to give the other 2.
They do share a power supply but that is not the limitation. Maybe if you use only 2 channels you might see some very slight increase in bass definition (as more power will be available from the PS). The power supply is where most manufacturers skimp.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 10:37   #203
Senior - BHPian

True, Navin. But in the far from ideal environment in the car (not to mention the speaker characteristics), the difference would be imperceptible for all practical purposes.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:33   #204
NeO

i got a GT-X555 installed in my skoda this saturday.

My not an audiophile and listen to all from Eminen to LP to Kishore to Armin van Buuren but luv bass and since was already on a super tight budget after buyin my car, went with GT-X555. Must say was pleasantly surprised with the clarity of the HU.
Went throught a whole lot of threads before i zeroed down on GT-X555 after going through helpful posts by Sam Kapasinavin vbmenu_register("postmenu_2183442", true); & frankmehta.
As of now i have a GT X555 powering JBL GT5- S 393 and intend to get a JBL component & amps 7 subs next month.

Costed my 6400k @ for HU & 2800 for the co-axs from sainath Khar, and althought i was given a B/W not sure if its grey or if these are actual prices

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th March 2011 at 11:20. Reason: Removing [FONT] and other tags. Please see the thread in the announcements section regarding this. Thanks.
NeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 15:01   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyasagar View Post
I checked the format, it was FAT32 only. However, I reformatted the drive and tried again, no luck..still "Error 1" is displayed.
Can you please mention the make and model of your pen drive? I'm asking you this case one of my colleague is looking for a entry level HU and I have suggested him GT-X333.
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 09:35   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Can you please mention the make and model of your pen drive? I'm asking you this case one of my colleague is looking for a entry level HU and I have suggested him GT-X333.
It actually is a freebie given by freescale when i attended their technical seminar last year at Leela Palace, Bangalore. Dont know the make and model.

I have checked the HU with many other pen drives..no problems found. Somehow that particular pendrive is not working.
vidyasagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 14:45   #207
BHPian

Replaced my old Kenwood USB HU (2*2V pre-outs) with the X333. The display conked off twice and I was a bit bored of it.

Startling difference - heard nuances I never heard before while playing off the USB. The Sub thumps so much harder now! I had to tone down the gains in the amp substantially as per my preferences.

Also, this was in a '06 Swift - an additional bonus - the orange hue of the HU and the orange console backlights are perfectly matched - looks really nice at night!

Complete VFM - lovely product!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 22:08   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Replaced my old Kenwood USB HU (2*2V pre-outs) with the X333. The display conked off twice and I was a bit bored of it.

Startling difference - heard nuances I never heard before while playing off the USB. The Sub thumps so much harder now! I had to tone down the gains in the amp substantially as per my preferences.

Also, this was in a '06 Swift - an additional bonus - the orange hue of the HU and the orange console backlights are perfectly matched - looks really nice at night!

Complete VFM - lovely product!
You are driving a sub with this HU without an external amp and loving it?

Surely its not that powerful. I installed it last week and unfortunately the HU casing in my Gypsy broke on the bumpy ride over NH66, but for the few hours I heard it did not sound powerful, just adequate.

--R
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 22:43   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
You are driving a sub with this HU without an external amp and loving it?

Surely its not that powerful. I installed it last week and unfortunately the HU casing in my Gypsy broke on the bumpy ride over NH66, but for the few hours I heard it did not sound powerful, just adequate.

--R
He is driving the sub woofer with an amp, after changing the head unit he had to re adjust the gain settings on the amp to match with the new HU.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 10:33   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
He is driving the sub woofer with an amp, after changing the head unit he had to re adjust the gain settings on the amp to match with the new HU.
Bingo - in fact, I had to reduce gain settings substantially - guess the difference between 2.5 V and 4 V pre-outs is staggering.

Ragul - the casing broke!? maybe the installation wasn't solid?
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote