Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 24th May 2012, 16:03   #331
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
i have a JBL X555 in my Gypsy with 4 JBL speakers, 1 JBL Amp and a Blaupunkt Bass Tube.
Is your "1 JBL Amp" for your speakers, or the bass tube?

In other words - is the bass tube active or passive?

-----

If the Amp is for the bass tube -- then you're only using 1 pre-out, which means you can switch to the alpine.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 16:49   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Is your "1 JBL Amp" for your speakers, or the bass tube?

In other words - is the bass tube active or passive?

-----

If the Amp is for the bass tube -- then you're only using 1 pre-out, which means you can switch to the alpine.

cya
R
Hi Rehaan,

I'll have to check the wiring and see how its all routed. What do you mean by the bass tube being active / passive? Ideally the Amp would primarily be for the bass tube, right? I am noob so please pardon by stupid Qs.
Desmosedici is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 16:58   #333
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question to everyone. Please help.

i have a JBL X555 in my Gypsy with 4 JBL speakers, 1 JBL Amp and a Blaupunkt Bass Tube.

I also have an Alpine 100 EUB in my Vtec and was thinking of switching of the headunits however the Alpine has only 1 Pre out and the JBL has 3 (not sure what that means).

Can i just change the HU from JBL to Alpine and retain the other components as it is in the Gypsy. Will there be any change to the setup or how the music will sound as honestly i feel the Alpine HU will be a better one than the X555.

Gurus, please help.
A pre out or preamp out is a line level output of the sound that is coming out of the HU. It is controlled by the volume control, and allows you to connect another external power amplifier to increase the power of the system or allow the connection of speaker systems. A 2 channel Amp requires 1 pre out, whereas a 4 channel amp requires 2.

You have not mentioned whether the JBL Amp is 2 channel or 4 channel. If it is 2 channel, then it needs only 1 pre out from the 3 that the JBL has, and probably runs only the Blaupunkt Bass Tube, and in this case it will be alright to use the Alpine HU having 1 pre-out, which can be used to supply input to the 2 channel JBL amp.

In case it is a 4 channel Amp, then it will need 2 pre outs, which your Alpine cannot directly provide.

However, in this case the solution would be to use a Y-splitter for the single pre out from the Alpine, and split it into 2 pre outs. This can then be given to the Amp, and will work fine, except for the fact that it will offer you less control than 2 preouts from the HU itself would have offered. You need to decide if that is ok with you.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 17:06   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
A pre out or preamp out is a line level output of the sound that is coming out of the HU. It is controlled by the volume control, and allows you to connect another external power amplifier to increase the power of the system or allow the connection of speaker systems. A 2 channel Amp requires 1 pre out, whereas a 4 channel amp requires 2.

However, in this case the solution would be to use a Y-splitter for the single pre out from the Alpine, and split it into 2 pre outs. This can then be given to the Amp, and will work fine, except for the fact that it will offer you less control than 2 preouts from the HU itself would have offered. You need to decide if that is ok with you.
Thanks for the above info. Pretty much usefull. I shall go and check the amp and the connections and if possible also take a pic and post it. Atleast now i know that there is a possibility of switching to the Alpine unit as i didnt find the X555 to be great.

Thanks again
Old 24th May 2012, 17:06   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rehaan,

I'll have to check the wiring and see how its all routed. What do you mean by the bass tube being active / passive? Ideally the Amp would primarily be for the bass tube, right? I am noob so please pardon by stupid Qs.
an active bass tube has a built in amplifier
a passive bass tube will not

To find out the easy way, a passive bass tube would simply have two (speaker) wires going to it from an amp
An active one would have the line (RCA connectors) + a power (12V) hooked up to it from the HU
greenhorn is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 17:48   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
what do you mean by the bass tube being active / passive?
Active - has an in-built amp.

Passive - needs an external amp.

Quote:
Ideally the Amp would primarily be for the bass tube, right?
Ideally for you, yes. As if this is the case - you should be able to switch to the Alpine easily.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 18:40   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzone View Post
Can anyone give me a comparison between the Pioneer MVH-1490UB and the x333? Which one should be the ideal pick for my nano?
Pioneer is much faster in reading usb files and better player in terms of sound quality and tweek options. have both of them in different cars
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 19:25   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
an active bass tube has a built in amplifier
a passive bass tube will not

To find out the easy way, a passive bass tube would simply have two (speaker) wires going to it from an amp
An active one would have the line (RCA connectors) + a power (12V) hooked up to it from the HU
Thanks, now this I learnt new!

However, I do not quite understand how a 12V power line is hooked up from the HU. I mean, where in the HU do you connect a power cable to the bass tube?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 19:38   #339
Senior - BHPian

sorry bad punctuation
The RCA line in and a 12V trigger signal (just to turn on the external amp) come from the HU
the 12V power usually comes directly from the battery via a fuse
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 19:41   #340
Senior - BHPian

Power line from head unut is turn on signal for the bass tube, unless its auto turn on with rca input. It has direct power connections in additions to this.
gigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 20:31   #341
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gurus,

Thanks for helping me out. I just took some snaps from my cell phone, couldnt move the amp as it was fixed to the floor. Hence sorry for crappy pics. Not sure if these pics would help.

The Amp is a JBL GT5-S422 2 Channel Amp as i figured out from google baba.

Now please let me know if its easy to switch to the Alpine HU. I saw the connections but couldnt figure out much. Its been only a few days since i got the Gypsy.

I am mainly bothered about changing the HU is because

1 - I have got used to the Alpine in my Vtec.
2 - I found the SQ with the bass tube to be bad. My guess is the HU is at fault hence the thought of switching to the Alpine which served me in my last Gypsy, then my Vtec as well and i am very much happy with Alpine.

Thanks so much for helping out. Really appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!-1.jpg  

JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!-2.jpg  

JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!-3.jpg  

JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!-4.jpg  

Last edited by Desmosedici : 24th May 2012 at 20:33.
Old 24th May 2012, 20:54   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much for helping out. Really appreciate it.
That it is a 2 channel amp, and the pictures, most probably indicate that the Bass Tube is powered by the Amp, as we can see two signal cables out of the JBL, presumably going to the Bass Tube. In this case it is perfectly alright to switch the JBL to the Alpine HU, and just connect the RCA out cable. (Or are those direct line inputs? Can anyone confirm this? M not too sure..). But anyways, it shouldn't be a problem.

Another way you can confirm the same is by verifying whether the color of the cables connecting to the Bass Tube is the same as we can see connected to the Amp. That way you can be 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
sorry bad punctuation
The RCA line in and a 12V trigger signal (just to turn on the external amp) come from the HU
the 12V power usually comes directly from the battery via a fuse
So the 12V trigger signal is connected to the blue wire from the socket of the HU?
And the power connection from the battery is the one that comes through the firewall right? Sorry.. Stupid question.. I know..

Last edited by swarnava.m : 24th May 2012 at 20:59.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 00:42   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
That it is a 2 channel amp, and the pictures, most probably indicate that the Bass Tube is powered by the Amp, as we can see two signal cables out of the JBL, presumably going to the Bass Tube. In this case it is perfectly alright to switch the JBL to the Alpine HU, and just connect the RCA out cable...
Agreed here.

If you want to be super-sure before doing anything, play some music and either switch off the AMP or un-plug the blue&clear plugs. This should turn off the bass-tube.

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 09:08   #344
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the help. Will try to get the switching done over the weekend. Fingers Crossed over the SQ.

Cheers.
Old 29th May 2012, 13:22   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys. Appreciate the help. Will try to get the switching done over the weekend. Fingers Crossed over the SQ.

Cheers.
Did you switch over the HUs? How did it go?
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote