Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th December 2010, 19:39   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!

Sam, I am very interested in the 333. I am very novice when it comes to all these audio components. Moreover, my car is expected to come in 2 days.

I had been to EVO's (Satya) at cambridge layout to get a few quotes for my Palio's ICE. He gave the option of HU as Pioneer 4290Sd Mp3 Player for all of the setups. Now, if I replace all the setups with the 333, I need to know how well it will jell with the rest of the components. As of now, my mind seems to have zeroed in on the 333, its just the other components that I am giving thought about. Here would be the setup after I modified and replaced the Pioneer with the 333. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Option 1) Price
JBL 333 4990
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" Component Speakers 6000
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6X9" Coaxial Speakers 4100
MDF Plank + MDF Rings 1050
Overall wiring 400
Fiat harness 200

Total 16740

Option 2) Price
JBL 333 4990
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6.5" Component Speakers 6000
Rockford Fosgate Prime 6X9" Coaxial Speakers 4100
JBL Gt5 2 Channel Amplifier 4500
Rockford Fosgate Prime 12" Subwoofer 4200
MDF Plank + MDF Rings + MDF Sub Box 2350
Overall wiring 1800
Fiat harness 200

Total 28140

Option 3) Price
JBL 333 4990
Auditor rip 6.5" Component Speakers 4500
Auditor rip 6X9" Coaxial Speakers 3500
Rockford Fosgate Prime 12" Subwoofer 4200
Overall wiring 1800
Fiat harness 200

Total 26040

Option 4) Price
JBL 333 4990
JBL Gt5 6.5" Component Speakers 4200
JBL GT5 6X9" Coaxial Speakers 3200
JBL Gt5 12" Subwoofer 3600
Overall wiring 1800
Fiat harness 200

Total 24840

A straight forward 3k difference I see when I switch from Pio to 333
funkykar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 23:27   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Sam, I am very interested in the 333. I am very novice when it comes to all these audio components. Moreover, my car is expected to come in 2 days........

........A straight forward 3k difference I see when I switch from Pio to 333
Some info on all those setups would point me in the right direction as well.

Thanks.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 16:36   #108
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Sachin's today. Saw and felt the 333. Seems pretty good. He showed me a demo of it. The demo had 4 speakers, not component. Upto the volume levels of 20-22, it seemed perfect. Clear and loud. After that the clarity lacked. I feel it had to do with the speakers. If it is connected to component speakers, I am sure it would sound better.

EDIT: He said that it is selling hot. Over 50-60 units already sold in 2 days.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:49   #109
BHPian

Quote:
He said that it is selling hot. Over 50-60 units already sold in 2 days.
Did you enquire the selling price of the HU (333) ?. I know the MRP is 4990 but usually the selling price will be lesser than that (going by other articles in ICE industry). Any inputs ?
torquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 16:49   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Had been to Sachin's today. Saw and felt the 333. Seems pretty good. He showed me a demo of it. The demo had 4 speakers, not component. Upto the volume levels of 20-22, it seemed perfect. Clear and loud. After that the clarity lacked. I feel it had to do with the speakers. If it is connected to component speakers, I am sure it would sound better.

EDIT: He said that it is selling hot. Over 50-60 units already sold in 2 days.
Good to hear that you got a Demo for the JBL unit. Btw, What speakers were connected and what is the setup suggested by Autoshop guys?
lloydofcochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 16:53   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it is connected to component speakers, I am sure it would sound better.
If anybody auditions GTO 608c with it please let me know. That's the setup currently in my mind but then cannot say anything without auditioning them together.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 17:58   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquarius View Post
Did you enquire the selling price of the HU (333) ?. I know the MRP is 4990 but usually the selling price will be lesser than that (going by other articles in ICE industry). Any inputs ?
4800/- is what he said. Dont know if this guy reduces if bargained. This is my first visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Good to hear that you got a Demo for the JBL unit. Btw, What speakers were connected and what is the setup suggested by Autoshop guys?
I know it were not components. I cant remember which, but definitely JBL make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If anybody auditions GTO 608c with it please let me know. That's the setup currently in my mind but then cannot say anything without auditioning them together.
I too would want to audtion a few HUs and then choose 333 is I dont find any differences in quality. If not, I would risk buy a Pioneer HU from gray markey
Old 16th December 2010, 09:16   #113
BHPian

Default JBL GT-333 in my I-10: Some pluses and minuses

Hi there,

Just got the GT-333 installed by the Apex dealer in Porvorim-Goa on my new I-10 (ownership review coming up shortly) last evening. I was after the JBL distributor in Goa to have one installed as soon as possible. As soon as the consignment reached him, the first carton of GT-333's were delivered to Apex and I was the first (in Goa -- thanks to team-bhp's info on the 333) to have it installed on my new I-10.

Now for the PLUS:

* I like the look of the unit. Simple and elegant, with minimum of buttons on the deck. Thankfully, the display also has a minimum of graphics/jazzy display like on some of the cheaper HU's.

* It was quite easy for the technicians at Apex to install the unit and some of them were admiring the features on the 333.

* The GT-333 has been paired with 4 JBL 265 door speakers and the sound has been quite good so far. However, they tends to vibrate if the LOUD feature is activated.

Now for the MINUS:

* To my surprise, the trim ring plate (the plastic rectangular plate that fits around the HU) does not fit on the I10 slot. The technicians explained to me that the I10 (unlike the Maruti) leaves very little gap for the trim ring plate to fit in place. The trim ring fouls with the I10 panel and the panel does not click shut. As such, I now have to do without the trim ring plate and the JBL HU looks a little odd and crude without one. Thankfully though, it is not a major problem and I can live with it. Sam, can you please look into this? The technicians here at APEX (by the way, I was pleasantly surprised to find your signature on the 'Authorised Dealer' certificate proudly displayed at the showroom) have suggested that the trim ring should be of a smaller size to fit tightly fitting car panel slots, such as those on the I10.

* My Magna 1.2 car does not have a clock on board and that did not trouble me as I could easily refer to the clock display on the HU. In my previous Alto, I have a Sony HU and it permanently displays that clock and only changes display to show the ID3 tag of a new song for a brief while and then reverts to the clock display. This facility was perfect for me and I could easily glance at the clock (I do not wear a watch) to check the time.

I thought that the JBL 333 would have a similar feature. However, it now appears that the JBL 333 permanently displays the ID3 tag. Now, If I have to check the time, I have to activate/press the DISPLAY switch for the clock to be displayed for about 5 seconds. Then it reverts to the ID3 tag. Not a major problem, but it could have been convenient if the option to permanently display the clock had been available. Sam, any way out on this?

These two 'demerits' do not, thankfully, have any bearing on the quality of the sound, which is really nice on the I10. I love soft music and I'm not one of those who love the booming DOOM-DEESH-DEESH-DOOM sounds in the car. Hence, the JBL 333 seems to be perfect with the 4 JBL 265 speakers.

Thanks,
Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 17:36   #114
BHPian

@misquitas,

GT333 really looks intriguing. You have a good combination for ICE.

I am looking at the exact combination for my Alto K10 which I will taking delivery in the next two weeks. Could you please help me with the total cost you incurred for this system?

Thanks,
Kalesh
Kalesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 18:17   #115
BHPian

I am yet to receive any information on the 333's availability in chennai.The shopkeepers of every shop I visit give the same astonished reaction-"JBL HU!Since when did they start to produce HU's".Only one shop new about its release and said they would inform me today about when the HU will hit their shop.Still waiting anxiously even after the HU's release.Can any one from chennai mention a shop which has this HU on display.
fiesta_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 19:48   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
@misquitas,

GT333 really looks intriguing. You have a good combination for ICE.

I am looking at the exact combination for my Alto K10 which I will taking delivery in the next two weeks. Could you please help me with the total cost you incurred for this system?

Thanks,
Kalesh

Hi Kalesh,

I paid Rs 5000 for the GT333 as there was no discount. The dealer charged me Rs 6000 (Rs 1K off the original amount) for the JBL 265 speakers. The 4 wooden spacers (wooden rings around the speakers to prevent the magnet from touching the window) cost Rs 400 and the wiring harness was Rs 200. Total came to Rs Rs 11,600. As far as I know, my Alto had provision for only two front 4" speakers, whereas the 265 are 6.5" speakers. please confirm on this. I have been told that as with all door speakers, some vibrations are evident when the volume is high of if there is too much bass. you need to adjust the eq settings to circumvent this problem.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 16th December 2010, 23:51   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Hi there,

Just got the GT-333 installed by the Apex dealer in Porvorim-Goa on my new I-10
Thanks,
Melvyn
So it would appear that Melvyn is the first owner of the head unit on TBHP. Congratulations.

Thanks for the fair review featuring both the positive and negative.
As far as I know, the problem with the trim plate fitting in i10 cars occurs across many head units, but this is something to learn from.

The clock feature -- point noted, thanks.

Glad you're happy. Enjoy the music.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 13:39   #118
Senior - BHPian

Inquired from a few reputed Car Audio shops in South Delhi about the availability of JBL's x333. None has any idea whatsoever about when they'd be available. Finally I called up the distributor listed on indiajbl.com and he said that I should check with him in another 2-3 days.

Why is this happening to us Delhiites? :(
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 18:04   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
So it would appear that Melvyn is the first owner of the head unit on TBHP. Congratulations.

Thanks for the fair review featuring both the positive and negative.
As far as I know, the problem with the trim plate fitting in i10 cars occurs across many head units, but this is something to learn from.

The clock feature -- point noted, thanks.

Glad you're happy. Enjoy the music.

Thanks for your comments, Sam. The clock feature is something that I was hoping that the JBL 333 would have addressed, especially since it has a clock feature in the first place. Reason is....

1. Many of the basic variants of cars (Alto, Wagon-R, I10, Santro, etc) -- the target market of the JBL 333 -- do not have an integrated music player and an on board clock. As such, owners rely on the clock feature on the HU.

2. Now coming to the JBL 333. As mentioned in my earlier post, the JBL 333 permanently displays the ID3 tag, when the USB feature is activated. Now, If I have to check the time, I have to activate/press the DISPLAY switch for the clock to be displayed for about 5 seconds. Then it reverts to the ID3 tag. But it could have been convenient if the option to permanently display the clock had been available.

3. Another 'issue' that I have noticed is that the JBL 333's display is off when the car starts. So, if I have to check the clock feature on the 333, I have to (a) switch on the 333 (b) press the DISPLAY button to get the clock displayed for 5 seconds. On the other hand, in my old Sony HU on my Alto, the HU clock display is activated (and remains that way) as soon as the car is switched on.

The JBL 333's lack of permanently displaying the clock (especially since it has a clock feature in the first place) could be a bother to some car owners, especially those who do not have a clock in their car. The JBL 333 should have had the following options on its DISPLAY button:
1. ID3 tag / FM station display only.
2. Clock display only.
3. ID3 tag / FM station display for 5 seconds, followed by clock display.
4. Clock for 5 seconds, followed by ID3 tag / FM station display.

The reason why I was hoping that the JBL 333 would have had a better (permanent) clock display feature is that the original I10 clock (which slots just above the music play) on my Magna costs about Rs 4000!

Sam, do you think there is some sort of 'firmware' for the JBL 333 (something like mobile phones), whereby the clock display feature could be updated on my 333? If not, could future models have this facility? If so, I could then put this model on my Alto and buy an upgraded 333 for my I10 1.2 Magna.

Let me know. Thanks.
Melvyn

PS: By the way, the JBL 333 is already generating quite a few fans. Many are impressed by the quality of sound on a Rs 5000 player and the ability to insert the SD card behind the HU panel. Sam, please convey my congratulations to the JBL team for bringin out the 333.

Last edited by misquitas : 17th December 2010 at 18:11.
Old 20th December 2010, 19:51   #120
MCR
BHPian

Had an opportunity to experience GT-X333 installed in a friends(BHPian Vidyasagar) car. Fantastic product I should say. FM was loud and clear. The reception was excellent. We played a few tracks from the USB and once again I was blown away. My friend(BHPian Vidyasagar) told me that he got the unit installed at Auto-world in Koramangala. Excellent VFM. By the way he has got JBL speakers installed.
Total cost for HU + 4 Speakers + wiring + installation came to around 11K.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote