Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 20th December 2010, 20:28   #121
BHPian

Default Re: JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!

My 3rd day with GT-X333. It is a wonderful product for sure.
Simple, no nonsense and real VFM. Voice clarity is very good and exceeds my expectation from a 5k HU.

Best part is, I can get rid of all my audio CDs now.

I have the HU attached to GTO1004 amp and Kappa 60.9 components.
sj_koova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 01:11   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Had an opportunity to experience GT-X333 installed in a friends(BHPian Vidyasagar) car. Fantastic product I should say. FM was loud and clear. The reception was excellent. We played a few tracks from the USB and once again I was blown away. My friend(BHPian Vidyasagar) told me that he got the unit installed at Auto-world in Koramangala. Excellent VFM. By the way he has got JBL speakers installed.
Total cost for HU + 4 Speakers + wiring + installation came to around 11K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
My 3rd day with GT-X333. It is a wonderful product for sure. Simple, no nonsense and real VFM. Voice clarity is very good and exceeds my expectation from a 5k HU.

Best part is, I can get rid of all my audio CDs now.
Glad to note that the accolades are coming thick and fast. They echo my views as well.

By the way, I have uploaded the ownership review of my new car, which incorporates a section on the JBL 333. This link is:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ve-dwarfs.html

Regards,
Melvyn
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 08:49   #123
BHPian

By the way, it would have been nice if the JBL logo on the 333 had to light up as well. This would have given it a classy look. Look at the two photos and you will know what I mean.

JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!-06deck1.jpg
The JBL logo is visible to the bottom left.

JBL branded HU? EDIT: GT-X555 & 333 Confirmed!-07deck2.jpg
The JBL logo is now invisible.

Sam, another query. The 333 manual does not specify (or have I missed it somewhere) if I can use both SD card and USB at the same time. What I mean is, suppose I insert an SD card in the slot and then I decide to plug in a pen drive. Will the 333 accept the pen drive?

I'm planning to pick up a 16 GB SD card and have it loaded with about 2500 songs and permanently slotted behind the panel. Sam, will it take ages to scan the song list on a 16 GB SD card or pen drive?
Old 21st December 2010, 11:07   #124
BHPian

Hi Melvyn,

Chose the Spark LT over Alto K10, got a good deal for a little spike in the budget. Would go the GTX333 for sure; will have to look for a combination of 4 inchers for the front and back. I really dont want to disturb the car structure.

Kalesh
Kalesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 17:31   #125
BHPian

@melvin:Try putting the songs in folders that way you can easily browse through the songs.BTW I Got the HU today and Am planning to install the HU on or before saturday.
fiesta_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:21   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
Hi Melvyn,

Chose the Spark LT over Alto K10, got a good deal for a little spike in the budget. Would go the GTX333 for sure; will have to look for a combination of 4 inchers for the front and back. I really dont want to disturb the car structure.

Kalesh
Good choice. My wife still loves the Spark, but we opted for the I10 because we wanted a 'tall boy' hatch. The JBL 333 will do great justice in your Spark. The JBL has 4" speakers and you can consider them. We too did not want to have box speakers in the boot, as they would have eaten into the space. We have put 4 6.5" speakers on all four doors and the sound has been good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta_21 View Post
@melvin:Try putting the songs in folders that way you can easily browse through the songs.BTW I Got the HU today and Am planning to install the HU on or before saturday.
Yes, I intend to put the songs into multiple folders. But for now, I have compiled about 1100 christmas songs on an 8 GB pen drive and I have not put them into any folder. Reason is, I can use the 'Random Play' feature (which by the way only works within a folder and not across multiple folders in the entire pen drive) and play all the christmas songs in random. It would have been nice if the Random Play feature had to work across the entire pen drive.

Great to hear that you too have bought the JBL 333. It is a great product.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:04   #127
BHPian

My search for the Media Players have come to an end. I was searching for a good HU which would have USB/SD card interface - CD Drive as I was not in favor of carrying so many CD's with me. I was planning to upgrade my old Pioneer DEH-P80 RS also which is showing of its age (Yeah only physically, not the SQ wise). I have already the current setup based on all JBL stuff and was looking for a media player which can give me three Pre-outs. I also looked at the Sony media Player (DSX-S200/DSX-S100), but they gave only 2 pre-outs. I was very happy to see that the price of this unit is also rightly placed for new people with tight budget and also for the people who can take this upgrade not giving much of a thought for Vitamin M. I tried to search last week in and around of my place in Hyderabad, but most of the car accessories shop either pretend that they know that JBL is releasing HU or they were not aware. I couldn't find one so I ordered online from IndiaJBL. I think I can install this weekend provided the parcel reaches me before that.

Waiting for the product.
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:37   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post

Sam, another query. The 333 manual does not specify (or have I missed it somewhere) if I can use both SD card and USB at the same time. What I mean is, suppose I insert an SD card in the slot and then I decide to plug in a pen drive. Will the 333 accept the pen drive?

I'm planning to pick up a 16 GB SD card and have it loaded with about 2500 songs and permanently slotted behind the panel. Sam, will it take ages to scan the song list on a 16 GB SD card or pen drive?
Hi,

Of course you can use both together. You can indeed plug in a 16GB card and leave it there. It will still automatically switch to USB when you plug in a pendrive.
No it will not take ages to scan it at all. It will be quick.

Leaving the card in will make the source cycle into Aux>TUNER>Card>USB.

For those who were enquiring about the head unit not being on the IndiaJBL website, it is now online.

Lastly, I'm happy you guys have good things to say. Enjoy your music

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 22nd December 2010 at 13:45.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:44   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You can indeed plug in a 16GB card and leave it there.
If I load a 128GB SD card with say 20,000 songs (MP3) in a folder structure that looks like Artist/Album/Song will the 333/555 allow me to search through this list.

High capacity 10x memory cards are already available. These are 64GB versions but I wold expect 128GB and 512GB version out soon too and 1TB and 2TB cards not very far away.

Amazon.com: Kingston Digital, Inc. 64 GB Flash Memory Card SD6A/64GB: Computer & Accessories

Amazon.com: Panasonic 64 GB High Speed 22MB/s SDXC Class 10 Memory Card RP-SDW64GE1K: Computer & Accessories

Transcend 64GB SDXC CARD (HIGH CAPACITY) TS64GSDXC10 B&H Photo

With 1TB and 2TB capcacities on the horizon JBL better look at flac/wavpack support for their later HUs. If we get a good search facility and flac support it is "bye bye ipod". The game will have changed (yet again).

SDXC - SD Association

New SDXC Memory Card Spec Supports 2TB Capacities
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:12   #130
BHPian

Naveenji I think that you are right, it would be very difficult to search and it would take a long time to search that much of size. Also it would also invite a lot of change in the HU hardware, since the SD Host controllers are lot different between the cards above.

Sam you indicated that we can have a max of 16GB card right now for the SD slot. What is the maximum USB drive that can be easily handled. I am planning to go for 320GB which can be connected to HU instead of buying 5 to 6 USB sticks. Also what is lead time to get the goods from online once ordered. I was unable to pm you.
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 00:23   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Sam you indicated that we can have a max of 16GB card right now for the SD slot. What is the maximum USB drive that can be easily handled. I am planning to go for 320GB which can be connected to HU instead of buying 5 to 6 USB sticks. Also what is lead time to get the goods from online once ordered. I was unable to pm you.
I believe what Sam stated was a 16GB card would work. I dont think he mentioned that that was the maximum size of card that can be used.

Hard disks require considerably more current than SD cards so a hard disk might not work if it demands more current that the USB port can deliver.

@Sam: What is the maximum size of SD card the 333/555 can use? Can the 333/555 read a folder structure as described in my earlier post?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 11:58   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

So long as it is a memory card or USB stick (which means low current drive) - the size is unimportant as long as it is formatted as FAT.
Old 24th December 2010, 12:31   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Though, I'd like to point out I think that the current software does not allow to read over 999 songs.

Vrrraju - I don't know exactly, but I would assume the item is shipped out on the next working day from Bombay (that's where the online sales dept is)
Old 24th December 2010, 12:41   #134
BHPian

Hey Sam,
Is the USB in the HU [333 & 555] USB 2.0 compliant?
If it is USB 2.0, then it will be able to supply enough power to operate a portable [Laptop] External Hard Drive.

Though i don't know if an External Drive can be formatted in FAT.
[I know it can be formatted in FAT32 & NTFS].
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 12:59   #135
Senior - BHPian

FAT or FAT32, both should work.
AND Sam, 999 songs per folder. Which means you can have, say 40000 songs in various folders on your hard drive, but if there are less than 999 songs in every folder, you can browse and select easily.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote