Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd December 2010, 13:16   #1
BHPian

Default JBL MS- 8. Discussion thread

This is an offshoot of a seperate thread, where Sam had offered to help us out on details regarding the MS-8. Anyways The MS-8 have been launched in India and retails at around 55k. Supposed to be THE answer to a lot of us folks who have to retain the stock music system, but would love to have some great sound.

Anyways I have a Punto. And I had tried to get some nice SQ from the stock system. Needless to say, it was just next to impossible and I have been waiting for the MS-8 to hit the market. And since the stock system doesnt have a pre out, can I add more amps and subs using the MS-8, and get some nice sound? Thanks in advance folks..

Last edited by ronin : 2nd December 2010 at 13:23.
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

This thread is an extnesion of my post here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2160527-post62.html

Guys, on another forum the MS-8 thread was full of assumptions, hypothesis and incorrect data. So I request that we stick to the topic and that we let Sam, B&T and those who have actually experienced and have a working knowledge of the product answer the questions. We happen to have amongst our members Mr. Andy Wehmeyer who was the primary person responible for creating the MS-8 and seeing the project to it's end.

So Andy (Sam please wake Andy up from his hibernation) where are you?

Last edited by navin : 2nd December 2010 at 13:36.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
And since the stock system doesnt have a pre out, can I add more amps and subs using the MS-8, and get some nice sound? Thanks in advance folks..
Yes, the MS-8 will accept the speaker level inputs, perform a de-equalization, and provide cleaner outputs in order to hook up amps. It also has an on-board amplifier in case you're not looking at a high-power application. It will also perform cabin correction, time correction, equalization etc. and has Logic 7 surround.

It does not have input sensing, and you'll have to figure out some way to get the amps switched on.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
It does not have input sensing, and you'll have to figure out some way to get the amps switched on.
Thats news to me. Even the bare basic Genny HLA as input sensing and Remote out for amps.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:43   #5
BHPian

Thanks B&T. Just hope the others wake up too.
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Got a privilege to tune the MS-8. Yes it was installed in Freedabad. The HU was stock with original old school alpine V12 amp running 4 speakers in each door and a fake alpine running a RF bass tube. The tuning was done by the MS-8 with the help of the headphones and cd supplied. I was not happy with the result. Maybe better speaker and running active would cure this...

In my opinion the MS-8 must only be used in active setup where it will shine !!! Not in passive.

Name:  DSC_0250 Small.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  31.3 KB

Name:  40726_1563608504496_1663860663_1282251_4591610_n.jpg
Views: 4044
Size:  44.0 KB
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:34   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
fake alpine running a RF bass tube. The tuning was done by the MS-8 with the help of the headphones and cd supplied. I was not happy with the result. Maybe better speaker and running active would cure this...
LBM the MS-8 is not a cure all. It wont cure lumpy, boomy bass, uncontrolled response.

Sam has a MS-8 in his Superb, and though I have not heard it myself, I have been told that the MS-8 with stock speakers and a small active sub does a remarkable job in his car. Ofcourse with better equipment the MS-8 will shine more but before one gets an MS-8 one needs to understand the audio chain and the parameters that determine good, defined sound.

The MS-8 is not a cheap gadget and hence would not normally be partnered with a fake alpine amp or a bass tube.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

The only one thing to dislike about MS8, it's the manual tuning. It is best suited when running 3 way active plus a sub. But for someone who needs to manually set the TA and EQ it's not the best option. Incase of running it passive it's best to keep the tweeter and midbass close to each other. An increased PLD between it is not going to give the desired result. The EQ functions to provide a near flat response in the freq range which may not be to everyones liking.

For someone who is wanting to let the processor take care of the tuning and EQ MS8 is a great option. If one wants to retain the Stock HD there are other options too one can look at provided they are good at setting up the EQ and TA
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 11:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: JBL MS- 8. Discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
So Andy (Sam please wake Andy up from his hibernation) where are you?
Andy is not hibernating, he is just incredibly busy.

Guys, I am here to answer any questions you have.

I'd like to state for the record that the MS-8 is available and doing remarkably well in India. I have personally been going from city to city conducting training and installing sessions.

It sounds great to my ears. However it is hardly something that one just adds into any car just because. And it isn't cheap either.

As always, I am here to answer any questions. I cannot help you buy the product nor am I recommending it.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 17:04   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It sounds great to my ears. However it is hardly something that one just adds into any car just because. And it isn't cheap either.
if we seperate the technical considerations from the commercial why cant the MS-8 be added to any OEM system? or that only a commercial decision?

remember what is expensive today will be affordable in a year or 2 or maybe 3 but it will get more affordable. In an earlier post I had envisaged the MS-8 to be a flag ship product that will eventually make way for a "MS-5" and host of other solutions based on the same research and algorithims.

Yamaha's DSP 1 was introduced in the mid 80s and today the same research is found in everything from their pro audio processors to their soundbars. Today everyone fomr Texas Instruments (TMS320 family) to TenSilicia (CS495 family) makes audio DSPs.

The more OEMs integrate HUs into their in car electrocnics (GPS, tyre pressure reading systems, etc...) the more will be the requirement for products like the MS-8, ALpine 650, RF 360.2, etc.....

Last edited by navin : 14th December 2010 at 17:09.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

There is one more similar product but very high end...

Motus Lab Home Page
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote