Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd December 2010, 02:10   #1
BHPian

Question ICE - Need urgent advice

ICE gurus, I need some advice regarding the installation of Amplifier and Sub woofer in my Swift.

This is a quite long query, so bear with me.

I currently have the following setup:
Head Unit: Sony Xplod CDX-GT494U (52 Watts x 4)
Front speakers: Sony Xplod XS GTF 16262 (40 Watts x 2)
Rear speakers: Sony Xplod XS GTF 16262 (40 Watts x 2)

I am planning to install a JBL GT5 A644 amplifier (4 channels - 4x70w at 4 Ohms, 4x100w at 2 Ohms)
and a JBL Subwoofer with box (haven't decided which one yet).

What I intend to do is:
1. Run the two front speakers 'parallel' on one front Amp channel (which reduces the impedance to 2 ohms, which means running total 80w speakers on 100w power).

2. Run the two rear speakers 'parallel' on the other front Amp channel (same as above occurs).

3. Run the sub woofer (probably going to be Single Voice Coil >=300w RMS at 4 Ohms) in bridged mode on the rear Amp channel.

My question is:
Will running front and rear speakers that have low power handling capacity on a high power Amp damage them, or can I just lower the input level on the Amp for the front channel and be safe?

Am planning to get the above installed this weekend.. and have chosen JBL considering the ready availability of only JBL and Sony amps in my town, where I believe JBL is better.

Kindly enlighten me..
DIY Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

a better option would be to run both Left channel speakers in parallel from the left channel, and the right channel speakers in parallel from the right channel. You should be safe.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

@DIY_guruji, IMHO you have got your objective a bit mixed up, or you are thinking simplistically.

* If you want to go loud, you need not achieve "2 ohms by hook or by crook". The S644 will power your speakers quite (very) loud even at 4 ohms (how good or bad that will be is not guaranteed with your Sony speakers )

* Run the rear speakers from the HU itself

* Connect the sub to the (bridged) rear channel of the amp
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:26   #4
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a better option would be to run both Left channel speakers in parallel from the left channel, and the right channel speakers in parallel from the right channel. You should be safe.
Well, you are right.. that way I would get the right-left stereo effect of music rather than front and back.. thanks http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@DIY_guruji, IMHO you have got your objective a bit mixed up, or you are thinking simplistically.

* If you want to go loud, you need not achieve "2 ohms by hook or by crook". The S644 will power your speakers quite (very) loud even at 4 ohms (how good or bad that will be is not guaranteed with your Sony speakers )
Well, my objective is not loudness from the speakers but Clarity. Hence I'm speculating on the above strategy to run all the four speakers from the Amp.

I want the subwoofer to be loud and will be running it in bridged mode on the rear channel.

According to me, in theory, the setup should run fine (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

The only question is that Will the parallel setup of underpowered speakers damage the speakers or the Amp???

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th December 2010 at 01:52.
Old 6th December 2010, 00:47   #5
BHPian

Did some research and found out that running amp on low impedance (though it supports it) sacrifices on the efficiency and sound quality (As the damping factor decreases) to give more power, thus threw the parallel option out the window.

Finally decided on using:
JBL GT5 S422 amp for front speakers
JBL GT5 S644 amp (front 2 channels) for rear speakers
(rear 2 channels, bridged) for sub woofer
Sony Xplod XS GTX1202L subwoofer

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Old 6th December 2010, 14:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

if you have a sub and amped front speakers, the amping the rears is not essential unless you like your sound from the rear
And for the love of god dont buy any Xplod Subwoofers.
Old 6th December 2010, 21:01   #7
BHPian

there is a better work around to it. but will take some effort to install. your basic amp will not be stable at 2 ohm. what you can do is pick up a 2 ohm stable component set (i'd seen one of JBL), connect it in series (means one wire goes from amp to + of one speaker. one wire goes from negative of one speaker to positive of another speaker. and one wire goes from negative of the second speaker back to amp) kinda difficult too explain in words.. i'm too lazy to draw n scan and put it here, but google for a 'series' wiring n u'll get the idea.

this way you can use 2 speakers through one point. and total resistance would still be 4 ohm. you'll have to set gains on higher side and power will get divided between the two - all depends on your amp n speaker specs.

see that both speakers you wire together have same RMS rating else you won't be able to balance sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guru View Post
Did some research and found out that running amp on low impedance (though it supports it) sacrifices on the efficiency and sound quality (As the damping factor decreases) to give more power, thus threw the parallel option out the window.

Finally decided on using:

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
get a mono for sub and 2 or 4 ch for speakers.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th December 2010 at 01:52.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 22:56   #8
BHPian

Just bought the following:

with BOSS amp wires + miscellaneous wiring

Total damage - 17.5k

More yet to come...

Quote:
if you have a sub and amped front speakers, the amping the rears is not essential unless you like your sound from the rear
And for the love of god dont buy any Xplod Subwoofers.
Whoa!! why is that??? I feel the sound is pretty good from Sony subwoofers.
Old 7th December 2010, 00:49   #9
BHPian

Before you get anything else, please replace the boss wiring kit. Sony xplod speakers may not be as good as some other brands in a similar price bracket but you can live with it if you have already got them. But boss wiring is flea market junk.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 01:32   #10
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Before you get anything else, please replace the boss wiring kit. Sony xplod speakers may not be as good as some other brands in a similar price bracket but you can live with it if you have already got them. But boss wiring is flea market junk.
for now am satisfied with the current setup (and probably will be for years to come). The main expenditure were the amps, the rest can be changed later on if required.

Next on the list is Roof mount screen, size - 7 to 9 inches, with inbuilt dvd player and usb media support.

Saw the following product in Autocar mag
Voyager V9XD2 (9" Roof Mount TFT LCD Monitor cum DVD Player)

Its has the features that I need and comes with a two year service(whats this?) warranty.

Any idea how good this product is and its price?

Any other recommended products??
Old 7th December 2010, 01:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

sony Xplod Subs are as crappy as they come. even the Chinese maal that you get is better ( I've got my fair share of cheap subs, and the sony is by far the worst of the lot)
Old 7th December 2010, 08:57   #12
BHPian

Question

Quote:
sony Xplod Subs are as crappy as they come. even the Chinese maal that you get is better ( I've got my fair share of cheap subs, and the sony is by far the worst of the lot)
Could you please tell us what is bad about Sony subs/speakers? I see a lot of people here not recommending any sony car products. Sony is supposed to very good company as far as home entertainment is concerned but where do they mess up in car entertainment?
Old 7th December 2010, 14:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

just compare them with their competition and see. A blau/JBL will blow the Xplod away :P
Old 7th December 2010, 14:53   #14
BHPian

If you are satisfied with the sony speakers/ sub, then there is no reason for you to upgrade. The only thing that really matters is how they sound to you.

Not sure about Voyager V9XD2 but I saw some other chinese stuff similar to these (I think it was convex or something similar) for about 6-7000 bucks. Didn't get to audition that because I wasn't looking for a roof mounted lcd screen. If ACI has given an address, just give them a call and see if they can give you a demo before you decide.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 15:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guru View Post
for now am satisfied with the current setup (and probably will be for years to come). The main expenditure were the amps, the rest can be changed later on if required.

Next on the list is Roof mount screen, size - 7 to 9 inches, with inbuilt dvd player and usb media support.

Saw the following product in Autocar mag
Voyager V9XD2 (9" Roof Mount TFT LCD Monitor cum DVD Player)

Its has the features that I need and comes with a two year service(whats this?) warranty.

Any idea how good this product is and its price?

Any other recommended products??
Good decision. A screen will complete your ICE set up. You can get a hell lot of such products from the market. I have seen a lot in Innova, Scorpio and all but not in any swift. But recently saw a set up in my friend's swift which is neatly placed instead of the IRVM. The screen was pretty good (don't know the size) with USB and SD card support with internal speakers also. Also, it has a reverse camera. Like the Voyager you mentioned, this one also connects to HU through its built in FM transmitter. The thing when switched off will work like a normal IRVM. Simply said, like a parking sensor kit If you're ok without DVD, then you can go for such a solution. I felt it ergonomically more comfortable for Swift's head room. If you're interested, I will get you the details.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 7th December 2010 at 15:43.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote