Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th December 2010, 20:40   #1
BHPian

Default ICE for my swift zxi

Dear Gurus,

I was on the lookout for a new good hatch (Ritz, Swift,Polo 1.6 etc). But I was fortunate to get very very sparingly used Swift Zxi (Feb2008 with 2500 km on the odo) from my friend. I now intend to upgrade the stock music system and need your advice.

1.My Car: Swift Zxi

2. My current setup (If any): Stock

3. My Budget: . Because I saved on spending on a new car I intend to invest in ICE

4. Self Driven.

5. My Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Melodies - Be it old Hindi or Tamil or Malayalam. Soft Instrumentals. Some times carnatic too. More Clarity than BOOM .Vol max 50%

Additional Information:

6. Am I ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Boot space OK. But I do not want to spoil the interior

Thanks
Der Junge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 13:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: ICE for my swift zxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Junge View Post
3. My Budget:
6. Am I ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : Boot space OK. But I do not want to spoil the interior
HU: 7-8K will get you a HU with 3 pre outs and CD - Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, or the new JBL 555
Amp: 7K or so for a Pioneer 6400, JBL's 644, Kenwood 845, etc..
Speakers: 10K for a set of 6" components for the front and coax for the rear from JBL (GT5 - has the GT6 been launched in India yet?), Blaupunkt THc/Thx, Bull Audio; a bit more (15K) will get you Infinity Reference, Alpine SPS, Ground Zero etc..
Subwoofer: 7K for a 10" boxed sub in the rear from JBL, Bull Audio, etc.. again a bit more (12K) will get you Infinty, Ground Zero, etc..
Damping: 3K for doors, boot, and firewall (in that order)
Wires and Install: 2-3K
so expect to spend 35-50K for a good system.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 14:44   #3
BHPian

Sir,
Welcome to chennai and TBHP. As Naveen said there are lot of options you can look upon a you are looking for a SQ setup, where you will be focused to listen to crystal clear vocals and musical instruments on a more clear note with a mild bass kicking in when required. Please spell out your budget and there are lots of people in chennai who are audiophiles and there are lot of rides which you can audition before you can decide your choice of HU, Components , Fills , Amps and Subs.
prithvi_seln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 20:25   #4
BHPian

Thanks Navin and Prithvi.

I checked at Technokrat in NM Road. I was offered a package with :

Kenwood 5036 HU
Bluetooth Kit
Navigation GPS
Component speaker for Front (Morel or Kicker)
Coaxial speaker for Rear (Morel or Kicker)
Amplifier (Kenwood)
12" Subwoofer
Rear Camera
Headrest monitor behind both front seats
Installation

This offer is Rs.67.5K. In addition about Rs.11K will be required for 2 DIN panel for Swift and steering controls for the HU.

This seems steep. Any opinions?

I have not been able to fix budget but I think I will restrict to about Rs. 50K Max.
Old 10th December 2010, 22:04   #5
BHPian

i think the quote is on the higher side ... please check out the prices if you have anyone coming from abroad you will be able to get it at 50% of the price quoted
Old 11th December 2010, 09:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

1. There are Kenwood and other HUs available that do not require a BT kit externally
2. Unless the individual prices are known, it is difficult to comment whether the prices are high or not
3. 11K for dash kit for Swift and steering controls is quite steep!
4. Keep the navigation unit separate - you can buy it from any good electronics store nowadays, and there is a decent variety available
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 17:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
1. There are Kenwood and other HUs available that do not require a BT kit externally
2. Unless the individual prices are known, it is difficult to comment whether the prices are high or not
3. 11K for dash kit for Swift and steering controls is quite steep!
4. Keep the navigation unit separate - you can buy it from any good electronics store nowadays, and there is a decent variety available
Thanks Der Alte. I am sorry for the belated reply. What is your opinion about the new JBL HUs- GT-X555 and GT-X333.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

I haven't had a look-see-hear myself, but I trust that a large company like JBL will do good R&D (how it should sound), feature engineering (usability) and QC (reliability) - making it worth the money one pays for it. If the feature set is good enough for you (that is the most difficult part! ) you can definitely go for it. Concentrate on what you need, and not what are the possibilities in competing models.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 14:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Concentrate on what you need, and not what are the possibilities in competing models.
Point taken. I hope to make my selection after audition with other friends in TBHP.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I haven't had a look-see-hear myself, but I trust that a large company like JBL ...
just a small wee correction if you dont mind.

JBL is just a small offshoot of an audio congloromate called Harman Intl. which by the way is an amalgamation (I say this becuase other than Harman Kardon and Revel all other brands were inorganic additions to Harman Intl.) of audio companies that share research and developement.

These companies cover car, home, pro and PA audio. You could buy a pair of JBL Pro III (now called Control 1) to monitor your personal mix (on a Soundscraft M4) or a JBL 2245 to shake the Ministry of Sound; on one had you have the Onstage IV which fits in the palm of you hand and on the other the Everest speaker. It is nice to know that the CEO and Co-President (Car Audio) of Harman are of Indian descent. Some time back (pre CWG) Dinesh Paliwal (who was body shopped from ABB) was interviewd on Indian TV.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 19:38   #11
BHPian

self driven? and ICE? then why a video with screens in headrests behind?

given your taste, i would suggest going for a good amp atleast 100w RMS for more instrumental clarity at lower volumes. audition a few speakers. a sub in a sealed box with mono would cost you around 50k, including a basic HU. a setup with a 4 channel amp in bridge would cost you around 35k.
take a few personal favourites, hear them out on different speakers of t-bhpians. most other info has been covered by gurus
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 17:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
self driven? and ICE? then why a video with screens in headrests behind?
Yes. I am not too keen on video at all. That was in the package quoted by the installer. I did check few T-bhpians at Chennai and the best effect is from single DIN only.

I am now clear that I need to head a good single DIN HU, front components, rear coaxials, decent sub and of course a good amp. Further all speakers are door mounted in Zxi hence I plan to damp all door including hatch. I will post up the actual brands after my selection is done.

More than the actual install, the process of of selecting, auditioning etc is very exciting.
Old 4th January 2011, 19:06   #13
BHPian

Well freinds, after auditioning few top class installs (thanks to Gilead, Powerzone Saravana, Mi10, Prithvi and others) I have made my selection based on SQ and budget.

- HU is Kenwood X7016
- Front components are Morel Tempo
- Rear Coax are Morel Maximo
- Focal solid 4 channel Amp
- Focal 10" sub with enclosure
- Damping on all four doors (dynamat)
- Install from a top notch installer of course.

Have I missed out anything? You opinions please...
Old 4th January 2011, 23:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Well freinds, after auditioning few top class installs (thanks to Gilead, Powerzone Saravana, Mi10, Prithvi and others) I have made my selection based on SQ and budget.

- HU is Kenwood X7016

A good amp wiring kit may be the RF of Kicker
Old 5th January 2011, 19:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:

- HU is Kenwood X7016

no need as such for rear coax if it's mostly self driven. if lows excite you, go for a bigger 12" or 15" woofer. what are the specs of focal 4 ch amp?
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote