Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th December 2010, 23:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default JVC remotes

I had purchased a brand new JVC KD-R415 audio system.My previous system was also a JVC KDG-405.Now something i have noticed that is problematic with both the JVC's is that the remotes are not upto the mark.My 1st unit's remote would guzzle all the battery in a few days time and stop working.When putting a new battery again it would work for some time and then go dead.

Now my current JVC's remote which is less than a month old has started to act up.I have to adjust and fiddle with the slot which holds the battery after which it starts working after some time.

Is this remote problem common to JVC's or is that i am plain unlucky.

Has anyone faced a similar problem with their JVC.

thanks
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 00:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: JVC remotes

My JVC remotes (the normal remote and the steering wheel mounted remote) have been doing a steady yeoman service for close to 3.5 years now. Touch wood. Lol
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 09:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is there any moisture deposition in(side) your remote by any chance?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 13:00   #4
BHPian

I agree the that the remote that comes with the R415 is a very bad engineered product. The buttons on mine stopped working within a few months but it never occurred to me that the battery may be off. Still the buttons and the overall tactile feel is poor.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 14:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Is there any moisture deposition in(side) your remote by any chance?
I don't see any moisture inside when i popped out the battery. As of now in the morning the thing stopped functioning at all.Problem is the buttons on the JVC HU are pretty small and the HU is located at the lower side of the gear shift forcing me to take me eyes off the road for a second atleast.Not a good thing while driving.

I am going to take the unit to the shop where i purchased from.Last time with my old unit too i went back to the dealer , he replaced the battery but that died within a week too.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

The other possibility is one or the other button getting pressed and not returning. Since it is IR, it is not possible to see this condition. The only way to check is with a video camera. Switch on the camera and point it at the lens - IR shows up as low-intensity white light in most video cameras.

If you are good with your hands, take the thing apart (usually there are no screw, just tabs holding the front an rear covers) and see if there is anything sticking between the conductive rubber keys and the PCB.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 21:22   #7
BHPian

The remote for my Xylo system (JVC) consumed the battery literally overnight. Swapping the battery from the other car remote killed that one as well. Diagnosed as a faulty remote replaced with no issues.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2010, 22:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The other possibility is one or the other button getting pressed and not returning. Since it is IR, it is not possible to see this condition. The only way to check is with a video camera. Switch on the camera and point it at the lens - IR shows up as low-intensity white light in most video cameras.
ok this is one really cool thing you have mentioned here.I can see the white light from my mobile camera but as of now i have replace the battery.Next time the remote acts funny i am going to use this beam the
remote in the mobile lens techniuqe to see if the lights coming on.

thanks
Old 16th January 2011, 18:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ok my remote battery has conked out again and i had to go and get a new one. This is my 3rd battery and am not sure why this keeps happening.

The new battery (maxwell) cost rs 50 while the last one (maxwell)cost me 20 bucks. Don't know why this price difference , could it be possible the older ones were of the fake types. Anyways i am going to see how long this one lasts.

The guy from whom i bought the battery said those things have a life of around 6-8 months.But mine died in a month or so.
Old 6th February 2011, 17:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Ok my remote battery has conked out again and i had to go and get a new one. This is my 3rd battery and am not sure why this keeps happening.

The new battery (maxwell) cost rs 50 while the last one (maxwell)cost me 20 bucks. Don't know why this price difference , could it be possible the older ones were of the fake types. Anyways i am going to see how long this one lasts.

The guy from whom i bought the battery said those things have a life of around 6-8 months.But mine died in a month or so.
Hi guys, the new battery died again. I even tried the camera thing on the remote and it seems that the light does not stay on when i press the buttons and goes off imediately. Any guidance with the remote is much appreciated.Driving without the control is a pain as the kd-r415 has small song change buttons which become a hazard while driving as i literally have to take my eyes off the road.

thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 19:23   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, the new battery died again. I even tried the camera thing on the remote and it seems that the light does not stay on when i press the buttons and goes off imediately. Any guidance with the remote is much appreciated.Driving without the control is a pain as the kd-r415 has small song change buttons which become a hazard while driving as i literally have to take my eyes off the road.

thanks
Even I have the same problem with my JVC KDG 405 remote. The battery dies out in 2 days. Replaced the remote. Brought a new one from Lamington, same issue with that one as well.

Not sure what to do
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 18:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Even I have the same problem with my JVC KDG 405 remote. The battery dies out in 2 days. Replaced the remote. Brought a new one from Lamington, same issue with that one as well.

Not sure what to do
Ok i was able to resolve the problem.what used to happen was the place where i used to store the remote was a little bit crowdy and i would find something would be sitting or pressing against the remote as a result of wich the buttons would keep getting pressed and result in premature death of the battery.

I have started leaving the remote in the car and in proper upright position.The result.. the current battery has lasted me longer than any of the previous ones.This was brought to my notice by the guy who sold me the system.I guess the remote battery would last longer this way.
Old 10th May 2011, 22:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Ok i was able to resolve the problem.what used to happen was the place where i used to store the remote was a little bit crowdy and i would find something would be sitting or pressing against the remote as a result of wich the buttons would keep getting pressed and result in premature death of the battery.

I have started leaving the remote in the car and in proper upright position.The result.. the current battery has lasted me longer than any of the previous ones.This was brought to my notice by the guy who sold me the system.I guess the remote battery would last longer this way.
Hi Sumeet,
Thanks. I had almost given up on JVC remotes. I'll replace the battery and re-check in the next few days and post an update.

Cheers,
Yogesh
yogeshnagpal is offline   Reply With Quote