Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th December 2010, 19:43   #1
BHPian

Default Sound from the Front Component Speakers not Satisfactory

Dear Gurujis,

I have JBL component speakers in the front and JBL's on the rear. A four Channel 800W JBL Amplifier drives these speakers. The reason I went for an amp was that the front components were hardly audible, however even after putting in an amplifier, the sound from the front speakers is hardly audible. Also the Fader and Balance of the HU do do not function as they should, the dealer told this is because the HU is not four channel. I am not sure if this is normal or is there something wrong with my setup.

Thanks for your inputs.
OHCVtec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 22:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sound from the Front Component Speakers not Satisfactory

Which HU do you have ?
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 10:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Either the dealer is using cryptic language and does not know how to explain the problem, or does not know at all what he is talking about.

1. What are the model numbers of the HU, amp and speakers?
2. Were you present when the system was installed? Did you audition is as soon as the installation was completed?
3. How many RCA cables did he use? If he has used only 1 pair quite likely the same signal is going to the front and rear amp channels (if you are sure it is a 4 channel amp). If so, Fader will not work
4. If Balance is not working the problem could be that either left or right channel is connected to the front channel, and the other to the rear channel (I hope the installer was not that dumb). In that case Balance will work as Fader, and the setup will sound really funny!
5. If there is no low mid-bass punch, quite likely the mid-bass are wired out of phase. This can be corrected by reversing the connection at one of the mid-bass speakers

Go back to the dealer and ask him to open up the system and show you where and how he has made the connections. I am sure he will have many 'Ooops!' moments.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 11:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Dear Gurujis,

I have JBL component speakers in the front and JBL's on the rear. A four Channel 800W JBL Amplifier drives these speakers. The reason I went for an amp was that the front components were hardly audible, however even after putting in an amplifier, the sound from the front speakers is hardly audible. Also the Fader and Balance of the HU do do not function as they should, the dealer told this is because the HU is not four channel. I am not sure if this is normal or is there something wrong with my setup.

Thanks for your inputs.
I exactly have the same system as you do, and faced the same problem. It is the HU, i think your HU has 1 rca pre-out so when the connection was made from the amp, 4 channels were clubbed into 2, so basically what is probably happening is the fadder is towards the extreme rear to drive all 4 speakers.

This was the case with me, i just changed the HU to 3390UB and all problems solved as this HU has 2rca preout.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 11:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

What I am guessing is that you have a HU with only one pre-out, that has been split into 4 using a Y-cable and then fed into a 4 channel amplifier.

The first thing you should ask your installer to do is INCREASE the gain on the front speakers. If you want to play the front nice and loud without any distortion, I suggest you switch the HPF on for the front (Since you have no sub, you can keep the rears, presumably larger, on without a filter)
You should cut off the front components at 60Hz or higher.

Then turn up the volume and watch them sing.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote