Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2011, 17:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: ICE for my 2000 Mazda Protege ES

Most HUs will drive front and rear speakers. However the differnce in price between a 2ch. amp and a 4 ch. amp is small hence I suggested an 4 ch. amp. Since a 4 ch. amp made more sense why not use all 4 channels.

5% distortion is terrible I suspect the HU only delivers about half that power at less than 0.1% distortion across 20-20kHz with all 4 chanenels driven.
Old 8th June 2011, 18:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I think I should better go for the amp when I go for front speakers.
How are these for front components -

Amazon.com: JBL GTO608C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System: Automotive

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Electronics

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Punch P1652-S 6.5-Inch Component Speakers: Electronics

Other suggestions are also welcome.

I still need help with choosing the amp. Please provide some guidance to choosing the right one.
Old 9th June 2011, 09:42   #18
Team-BHP Support

blackasta, please listen to speakers before buying them.
Old 9th June 2011, 10:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
blackasta, please listen to speakers before buying them.
Yes I plan to go down to Best Buy and listen to whatever they have in stock before buying the front comps.
how does one decide on the amp?
Also - does the power supplied by the amp have to be less than the power that can be handled by the speakers? Do we stand a chance to damage the speakers if the amp sends - say 60W when the speaker is only capable of handling 50 sustained?
Old 9th June 2011, 20:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Not really. Well, if you are not listening to it then it might - since you would have missed the extreme distortion that one gets in that condition before the speakers give up their ghost. That distortion is bad enough to drive one out of one's mind. The amp does not kill the speakers, the person using the system does.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 21:04   #21
BHPian

you can even buy the Sub and the Amps cheaper on craigslist. check this link and even you can test it before you buy them. Lot of people sell these very cheap. Somebody's loss is your gain!
milwaukee electronics classifieds - craigslist

Cheers!
-Z
Zombie69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 21:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not really. Well, if you are not listening to it then it might - since you would have missed the extreme distortion that one gets in that condition before the speakers give up their ghost. That distortion is bad enough to drive one out of one's mind. The amp does not kill the speakers, the person using the system does.
Thanks for the understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
you can even buy the Sub and the Amps cheaper on craigslist. check this link and even you can test it before you buy them. Lot of people sell these very cheap. Somebody's loss is your gain!
milwaukee electronics classifieds - craigslist

Cheers!
-Z
Thanks - would surely look into this option! Only problem is that I'm a noob with car electronics and might buy something which has some masked defect or is way above/below what I need!

I guess I can find out the speakers suitable to my taste, but UI really need help buying that amp.
Any suggested 4 channel amp models?

Also - is it good to have speakers and amp of the same company (read in another thread that timbre remains uniform). Please throw some light on this!

Last edited by blackasta : 9th June 2011 at 21:31.
Old 10th June 2011, 10:19   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Also - does the power supplied by the amp have to be less than the power that can be handled by the speakers?
you are more liable to damame a speaker by using an am that is too small. We could have a long technical lecture here (ask regulars, they are tired from reading my diatribes) but to cut a long story short if you are reasonable and sane you will not damage the speakers even if the speakers are rated at 50W rms and the amp used is capable of 100W rms unless there is a malfunction with the amp (I have had amps dump DC but these ewre my own home made amps so I had no one to blame but myself).

Quote:
I guess I can find out the speakers suitable to my taste, but UI really need help buying that amp.
Any suggested 4 channel amp models?
Front and rear speakers should preferably have the sme timbre. The amp will be feeding all 4 channels so it's timbre will be the same across all 4 channels even it is a differnt brand (from the speakers). Look at Kenwood, Pioneer, JBL, or Alpine (you should find a suitable amp under $200).
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 09:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege

Listened to a few speakers in best buy. They had limited component speaker systems, and 2 sounded nice to me.

Rank 1 - polk audio dxi6500 (Polk Audio DXi6500 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com). This is a costly affair!

Rank 2 - alpine sps610c (Alpine SPS-610C Type-S 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com). This is more pocket friendly.

Any one has any listening experience to any of these two? Kindly share your thoughts.

I plan to demo a few more speakers before making my choice.

Also - I am looking at these adapters to fit 6.5 inch speakers in 5x7 / 6x8 enclosures - http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SA68-C...7764472&sr=1-1

Last edited by blackasta : 11th June 2011 at 09:25.
Old 12th June 2011, 06:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Went to another best buy and there was only 1-2 other models. Liked this one:

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB6501 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component System (Pair, Silver): Electronics

The best buy guy suggested a 4 channel amp to drive the front + rear speakers and maybe later add a mono amp and a small SW. Is it a good idea?

Also tried out some SWs and this one was nice - compact, thumping but not ear blasting

Amazon.com: Kicker 10C104 Comp 10-Inch Subwoofer 4 DVC (Black): Electronics

How does one set these up in the enclosures? any special thing to know?
Old 15th June 2011, 08:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Received my RF P1692, but the best buy guy handed me a wrong wiring harness. So I have ordered it from crutchfield and it should arrive in a couple more days.
Today I installed the speakers. The plastic baffle is thicker than the metal baffle of the stock speakers and also do not line up exactly with the holes. Thus I could only put in 3 screws instead of 4. Also the cover for the rear deck has non removable speaker grill - so the RF grills stays in the box (good in one way). It took me 20 mins to removed the plastic rear rear cover, screw in the new speakers and put everything back on.

Some pictures:

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110613_193616.jpg

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110614_185154.jpg

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110614_185750.jpg

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110614_190407.jpg
Old 17th June 2011, 07:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I have ordered it from crutchfield and it should arrive in a couple more days.
Got the wiring harnesses today and setup was a 5 minute job. The speakers sound fantastic - so much so - that I have to bring the fade to 5/6 front - otherwise the rear speakers overwhelm the OEM front speakers and it seems that sound is only coming from behind!
The new front speakers have to wait for about a month - got to save some money!
Old 21st June 2011, 20:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

While thinking about front components - compatibility came to my mind.
Now The Mazda has 5x7 slot which can fit 5x7, 6x8, 6.5 with adapter and 5.25 with adapter.
If I get a 5.25 component speaker set, I guess I can carry it back to India and it should slot right in the front doors of the i10. I believe the i10 should require spacers to accommodate for 6.5 inchers.

So should I look for 6.5 inch or 5.25 inch component sets - all the ones I have heard till now are 6.5 inch ones. What can be the drawbacks of a 5.25 inch one? Please enlighten.
Old 21st July 2011, 07:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

After much research and having a chat with the crutchfield representative - ordered the Boston Acoustics SE50 5.25 inch component speaker system for my front door. Cost me $110 and it comes with a 5x7 to 5.25 adapter bracket and wiring harness. Should reach me by this Friday. I shall put up installation pictures if I can manage some.

Boston Acoustics SE50 5-1/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
Old 24th July 2011, 03:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Installed the Boston Acoustics SE50 today - took me quite a while to figure out the connections, wiring and most importantly the tweeter positioning.

Here are some installation pictures. The cross overs have been mounted inside the door and screwed to the middle part of the door frame.(sorry could not take pics of that)

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110723_111239.jpg

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110723_111301.jpg

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110723_111526.jpg

The XO is mounted here (area denoted by red circle)

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110723_115625.jpg

Factory system upgrade for my Mazda Protege-img_20110723_164725.jpg

The tweeters are temporarily held in place by 2 sided tape. Let me think of some other provisioning and I may put them somewhere else.

Last edited by blackasta : 24th July 2011 at 04:00.
Closed Thread