Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 20:00   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Question iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

When we connect the ipod touch to an ipod capable head unit to play the music from it will it be possible to access other applications on the ipod?
If such a thing is possible with the ipod then i am very interested in it because i can play lossless and at the same time satisfy couple of other requirements with a single device. Please tell me if it works that way and if somebody has tried the same with success.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 20:08   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

I don't think the Ipod/Iphone allows external use when connected to head unit. I maybe wrong, but I think I was unable to use any apps when I had connected my iphone to an Ipod enabled car. My memory is hazy though, and I may be proved wrong.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 20:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,898
Thanked: 2,486 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

The Latest Firmware update allows the iPod touch( till 2g I think) to do multitasking quite well, so I am assuming that you should be able to so. But yes not sure how it will behave when its connected to a HU.

I have seen folks play music (via head phone jack) as well get GPS Navigation(with paid software) at the same time with an iPhone 3GS
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 20:33   #4
BHPian
 
mail4loys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 375
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
I don't think the Ipod/Iphone allows external use when connected to head unit. I maybe wrong, but I think I was unable to use any apps when I had connected my iphone to an Ipod enabled car. My memory is hazy though, and I may be proved wrong.
iPod / iPhone does allow external use when connected to head unit.

While i drive to office i connect my iPhone 4 to the head unit to play songs and have the waze GPS application running. Also, i pair my bluetooth headset with my iPhone and pick up call while all this is happens, without any complication or challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The Latest Firmware update allows the iPod touch( till 2g I think) to do multitasking quite well, so I am assuming that you should be able to so. But yes not sure how it will behave when its connected to a HU.

I have seen folks play music (via head phone jack) as well get GPS Navigation(with paid software) at the same time with an iPhone 3GS
iPod touch does allow multitasking and it work as i had test it earlier.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 20:56   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

This backgrounder multitasking feature apparently came with IOS 4 which was released to keep up with all the superior cracked versions of the IOS released up to then.

Never tried it though as my ipod touch does not impress me beyond its notepad and email and multitouch.

PS: I use the touch with gprs to stay connected all the time. (Requires a cracked IOS and a paid bluetooth app to use your cell as a modem)

Cheers
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 21:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,898
Thanked: 2,486 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Oh the Touch with the latest iOS version works great even with the older Touch.

Quote:
PS: I use the touch with gprs to stay connected all the time.
How can you use gprs on a touch? You mean to say that you use a cell phone as modem to provide net connection to your touch?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 09:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Okie so with IOS4 it works! Cool!
I was thinking if i get the touch i can use it to play lossless audio, use GPS application with an external BT gps receiver (which i already have), and then use it as OBD2 scan tool with a compatible OBD2 interface.
Thanks guys
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:04   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

The iPod / iPhone capable HUs disable the UI from being operated at the device. Kenwood has a setting by which it allows the control at the device (no control from HU) - all music controls will be from the iPod/iPhone. Try that, there may be a similar config item in your HU.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:17   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Oh the Touch with the latest iOS version works great even with the older Touch.



How can you use gprs on a touch? You mean to say that you use a cell phone as modem to provide net connection to your touch?
Yes, you need to crack iso4 then install a paid app called iBluever that enables high speed data transfer over bluetooth. It comes with ready made dialer scripts like the old fashioned modem scripts. Then you dial your cellpone-modem just like you would use it from laptop to stay connected with just one touch anytime you need to dial, after making the right settings. I get 198kbps typically on gprs with a class32 capable cellphone. Waiting for 3G prices to drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Okie so with IOS4 it works! Cool!
I was thinking if i get the touch i can use it to play lossless audio, use GPS application with an external BT gps receiver (which i already have), and then use it as OBD2 scan tool with a compatible OBD2 interface.
Thanks guys
Yes that is exactly what I plan to do for GPS. What is OBD2?

Thanks
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:17   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

When i connect my iphone 3GS,running on 3.1.3 to the kenwood 6539,through USB,i can use MMI,application and play music through the HU.
So it should be possible on iPod touch too,though it would be better on iOS4 as it supports multitasking.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 12:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The iPod / iPhone capable HUs disable the UI from being operated at the device. Kenwood has a setting by which it allows the control at the device (no control from HU) - all music controls will be from the iPod/iPhone. Try that, there may be a similar config item in your HU.
Yep my Kenwood X794 had such an option available which allowed me to control music from my ipod instead of HU. But then i had an Ipod classic which i don't have now, so have to borrow a touch from someone to see if multitasking works while connected to my current HU which is an Alpine CDA117.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Yes that is exactly what I plan to do for GPS. What is OBD2?

Thanks
OBD stands for on board diagnostics, with a scan tool connected to the OBD port of the car one can read various engine parameters collected by the sensors. Useful utility to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
When i connect my iphone 3GS,running on 3.1.3 to the kenwood 6539,through USB,i can use MMI,application and play music through the HU.
So it should be possible on iPod touch too,though it would be better on iOS4 as it supports multitasking.
Great to know that Akshay, guess it will work for me then! I have to check with CDA117, hope it works.

Last edited by Sankar : 8th January 2011 at 12:25.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 13:17   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,367
Thanked: 22,586 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
While i drive to office i connect my iPhone 4 to the head unit to play songs and have the waze GPS application running. Also, i pair my bluetooth headset with my iPhone and pick up call while all this is happens, without any complication or challenge.
Just to confirm - you are connecting it via the ipod cable (not AUX) which also lets you change tracks / see song title etc on the HU itself, right?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th January 2011 at 14:30.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2011, 13:51   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,553 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just to confirm - you are connecting it via the ipod cable (not AUX) which also lets you change tracks / see song title etc on the HU itself, right?

cya
R
Yes,when connected through USB,you can view\Select songs from the HU.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 22:45   #14
BHPian
 
mail4loys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 375
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just to confirm - you are connecting it via the ipod cable (not AUX) which also lets you change tracks / see song title etc on the HU itself, right?

cya
R
Yes Rehaan, You are right. i use iPod cable to connect to HU. One nice thing is that the song will continue to play in HU even if you pair a bluetooth hadset. The headset works only if your receive or make a call (The song playing in HU fades and resumes once the call is over)!
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 22:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,898
Thanked: 2,486 Times
Default Re: iPod Touch-Playing music and access other applications at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
use GPS application with an external BT gps receiver (which i already have)
Sankar, I have a BT GPS receiver(Holux M1000C) & my 3g Touch with iOS 4 does not identify this device over BT, so check before you take the plunge.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ipod Touch and DDX5032 Khodays In-Car Entertainment 3 9th November 2010 11:24
Using iPod touch for Skype calls - a query. DCEite Gadgets, Computers & Software 12 6th August 2010 01:50
Using IPOD touch with ADSL WiFi router DCEite Gadgets, Computers & Software 5 24th September 2009 22:44
Review of ipod touch EDIT:Updated - Review of 32GB 2nd Generation abhiram7912 Gadgets, Computers & Software 9 24th November 2008 18:56
AUX connector for iPOD Touch and Clarion DXZ385USB head unit manish_symc In-Car Entertainment 7 21st August 2008 15:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks