Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th February 2011, 21:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Quest! ICEING the Linea using old amp and sub

Gurus, i am a quite confused as i want a better music in my linea and also dont want to compromise on my old alto.

So i have decided to move some of the components from my alto to the linea.

My alto has following components.

1. The legendary JBL 75.4 amp.
2. Illusion audio 6.1 components in the front.
3. Philips Dynamo 2 channel amp which gives out healthy 100watts rms.
4. JBL GTO 936 ovals in the rear -however i mostly cut them off using fader.
5. Ground zero MK2 sub

The JBL amp powers the front compos and Sub.
The philips solely does duty to power the ovals.

here is my audio set up in alto
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...d-nice-sq.html

Now i am thinking of shifting some of the components basically the amp and sub to my linea. linea has one of the worst music system i have ever heard. autos have better music systems.

1. Shift the JBL 75.4 amp to the linea.
2. Buy new components for the front in linea - 6.5 "
3. Shift the GZ MK2 sub to the linea.
4. Buy 6.5/5.25 co-axials for the rear in linea.
5. Let the illusions remain in alto in the front.
6. LEt the GTO 936 remain in rear of alto.

Now the issue is how do i maintain decent sound quality and output in my alto. do i use the Philips amp to power the front components or the rear GTO ovals. Can the pioneer 5050 HU power either compos or ovals alone? whats the best suggestion to run on the HU alone? compos or ovals?

now i am planning to buy following stuffs for the linea:

1. PAC SOEM 4 channel premium line out converter with remote turn on trigger.
Amazon.com: PAC SOEM-4 4-Channel Premium Line-Out Converter with Remote Turn-On Trigger: Automotive

my amp has speaker level inputs , but i heard that its better to go for line out converter for better sound quality

2. Scosche E1000 watts amplifier wiring kit
Amazon.com: Scosche E1000 1000 Watt Single Amplifier Kit: Dog Who Wouldn't Die: Automotive

now the million dollar question.
Linea has heavy sheet metal and thick plastics on the doors.
Whats the best 6.5" components i can buy for about 6-8k.
the sound should not be too bright or irritating.

i think i will got for damping the front doors atleast. how much damping material is generally required for each door. i might also plan to damp the rear door and boot if budget permits.

now again the question remains how to power front compos and sub in linea using 75.4. the HU does not have sub control. i will power the rear co-axials from the HU. how will the fader work?

gurus please help me in this quest.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 00:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Quest! ICEING the Linea using old amp and sub

seems all gurus, navin sir, Ajay, Sam, Deralte, LBM all are enjoying friday night to the fullest. not a single reply from anyone.
Old 5th February 2011, 01:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Pay a visit to B&T i am sure he will hook you up.

The wiring kit seems fine but i am not too sure about the line converter. I have used similar Scosche converter and the experience was not really good with the sound quality.

Components you can try Bull Audio / Morel Maximo / Rainbow SLG Titan / Alpine Type S / Hertz ESK.

Keep aside atleast 2k to damp the front 2 doors.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 12:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would also suggest visit Ajay he will hook you up good !!!
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

i would love to visit ajay, but the issue is i have to drive down to mumbai with 2 cars. alto and linea.

does the line converter disturb sound quality?

so are you suggesting i should use the high level speaker inputs of the amp directly and not go for any line converters?
Old 5th February 2011, 13:04   #6
BHPian

amit, I'd suggest you invest in a high quality high to low converter. Look at the Genesis Series III high to low converter. It de-equalises the input signal to a large extent and presents high quality signal to the amps.

I don't think you'd be able to run the rear coaxials from the HU as all the 4 channels will be used to provide low level input to the amp.
thelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 13:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

ooh ya. if i tap all the 4 channels then i would not be able to run rear coax.

what are the real demerits of using the high level speaker inputs on my jbm 75.4 amp. will it cause distortion/hissing. i am wondering if JBL has provided it then why not use it?
Old 5th February 2011, 17:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Even if you connect rear speakers to the HU, the LoC will be able to convert both the front and the rear signals to low level.

Anyhow, if the 75.4 has speaker level inputs, you need not get an LoC (perhaps Sam can confirm that). Just make sure the wires that you connect from the harness (speakers) to the amp are shielded. Use a woven flex shield, solder a wire to it at the amp end and connect it to amp ground.

You can power the rears from the HU on both the Alto and the Linea. Connect the front Illusions in the Alto to the Philips amp.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 23:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanks Deralte.

ya the 75.4 has speaker level inputs. do u mean to say i buy the shielded wire which has silver colored wire mesh as outer coating and has copper wires inside. at amp end i should puncture the outer coating a solder a wire to it and connect it to amps ground?
i guess you are suggesting this for protection from noise and humming.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

No, there is a separate shield available in electronic component shops. This has a normal dia of ~10mm, but can expand to about 20mm dia. This shield is either silver or black colored.

If you don't get this, get normal 2-core shielded wire (you will need 2 pieces: front and rear signals). Peel away the shield at the (intended) amp end, bunch and twist the shield, attach and solder a wire to this. Connect the inner wires to the speaker output from HU at one end, to the speaker-level input at the other end, and the wire(s) from the shield(s) to the amp ground.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 16:03   #11
BHPian

Amit,

First up, are you going to attempt the install yourself of ur planning to get them done professionally? If someone else is going to do it for you then don’t worry, folks around there (B&T and more) know how to . Your rear speakers would be powered by the Stock HU as they are now. The existing 75.4 can do the job of powering the Components and the sub. As for the logistics, both the Sub and the components will take input from the front L/R channel ONLY, and viola!!! The fader will work just as it does now.

The same pattern can follow to your alto, let the 2 channel amp power your front components and the rears run directly from the HU.

You will need a good 4 channel Line converter to get the thing rolling with the Palio HU. Scosche SLC4 or Audison SLI 4 Signal Converters are your options. You can also go for audiocontrol lc6i however the cost is on the higher side.

And Last but the most important “What Components” – that’s your ears and what you want to listen. We all start with a budget and rarely have I seen folks containing themselves within the budget. 6-8K aint too bad a budget so listen to them and see how they sound with the Stock HU to decide.
pawanarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 17:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

thanks Pawan.

No i am not going to do it myself. if it was a single car then i would have driven directly to mumbai and got it done. the issue is the removal of amp and wiring professionally from alto and then hooking it up professionally in linea.

i was thinking of the PAC SOEM-4 Line out converter because it has a remote amp on which senses the HU is on based on signal from speaker wires and converts it into 12v remote amp on.

Scosche doesnt have this feature. the major issue in linea is amp stays on if its connected on accessories.

however the costly LC6i also acts as a DSP and filters out frequencies.
But i think this will also be handled by amp and crossovers in the components. what say?

i love the illusions in my alto. they are laid down a bit but sound very natural and soothing to ears. i just thought why not to try something different for linea.

i dont want to invest in new amp as i have a very good JBL 75.4 otherwise i would have directly gone for the BLau PNP 555.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Linea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Now the issue is how do i maintain decent sound quality and output in my alto. do i use the Philips amp to power the front components or the rear GTO ovals. Can the pioneer 5050 HU power either compos or ovals alone? whats the best suggestion to run on the HU alone? compos or ovals?
Better to power comps with the amp since they are installed in front. And 6x9s are anyway more sensitive.

Dont worry about the line output converter not having remote turn-on output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
amit, I'd suggest you invest in a high quality high to low converter. Look at the Genesis Series III high to low converter. It de-equalises the input signal to a large extent and presents high quality signal to the amps.

I don't think you'd be able to run the rear coaxials from the HU as all the 4 channels will be used to provide low level input to the amp.
The Genesis is a very high quality converter, but it does not de-equalize anything. For that, it would have to know what frequencies were awry to begin with. And any passive device cant do that.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 20:28   #14
BHPian

Cool Re: Quest! ICEING the Linea using old amp and sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
enjoying friday night to the fullest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Pay a visit to B&T i am sure he will hook you up.

Keep aside atleast 2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I would also suggest visit Ajay he will hook you up good !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Congrats. 6x9s are anyway more sensitive.

Dont worry about not having remote turn-on.

any passive device cant do that.
ajay, what's this new profession you've got into!!! mods, i'm not saying anything... i just copy pasted, honest, look what these guys are doing in the ICE thread.
montyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 20:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyguru View Post
ajay, what's this new profession you've got into!!! mods, i'm not saying anything... i just copy pasted, honest, look what these guys are doing in the ICE thread.
Last I heard "He has speakers that can blow women clothes off" so my guess hes still in Audio Industry.

Last edited by abhibh : 7th February 2011 at 21:01.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote